Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 02:10 PM   #1  
Gonna fly now!

S/C/G: 280/280/150

Height: 5'6

Default New to the Forum

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and am so glad to have found a wonderful, supporting place to find and give encouragement! I am 30 years old and 5'5" and currently weigh in at 267 pounds. I've been very, very depressed about myself, and my self esteem is probably at an all-time low. It's so hard to be this weight and live in a society that judges with such harshness and cruelty about one's physical appearance. I want to lose weight and be healthy and attractive, so I hope that I can wake up, snap out of it, and get the ball rolling for real this time. So glad to be here!

Old 06-18-2002, 02:20 PM   #2  

Glad to have you! I've only been around for a week or so myself, but I've found that if I'm brave and post something whenever it comes to mind, I get a whole lot of strength and encouragement from just seeing the words appear on the screen.

Look forward to learning more about you, and sharing this journey with you.
Old 06-18-2002, 02:45 PM   #3  
Gonna fly now!

Thanks Debbers! You're so right, there is something that happens when we actually put words to our feelings and then especially when we share them with others! I was just reading an earlier post that was so inspiring. . .about how God put on her heart that we need to love what He created. . .ourselves! And how we can honor God by showing love and care for our physical bodies!

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 06-18-2002, 04:33 PM   #4  
JML
Success Story!!!

Hi Irishwings! Welcome.

I just read your profile. You, Debbers and I are all musicians!!! I'm a piano teacher!!! Interesting. Well, welcome to the group. I've been here for about 2 weeks, and everyone's been very supportive.

Yeah, depression can be a real de-motivator. Some people when they're depressed don't want to eat anything. Not me. If I'm depressed, I want to eat -- and eat --- and eat -- and eat especially sugar, chocolate, and breads. It affects different people differently.

I'm also really working with portion control. I think that's a great idea! I like this site too. It's inspiring to read others' struggles and also successes. To me, it's a reminder that it can be done. It's possible to lose the weight. Glad to have you.

Post as often as you like. Ask questions. And good luck with your efforts!!!!!!!!

Jeanne
250/201/145
Old 06-18-2002, 09:05 PM   #5  
Gonna fly now!

Hi Jeanne and thanks so much for the reply! Isn't that amazing, the three of us being musicians! I guess it really is a small world! I love playing both piano and organ ~ and when I'm playing, it's the one time I forget about my weight problems and feel like I'm able to offer something of value! I'm only in Day 2 of my "for real" weight loss efforts, but so far, I've done well (no cheating!) , despite the many temptations that surround us all!

I'm very prone to eating emotionally. . .when I'm down, numbing myself with food. And then I get down again because of my weight, making it an endless cycle! I've always heard "lose weight for yourself", but I'm not sure I'm there yet. I think I long too much for acceptance, and a great big part of me wants to lose weight to see other people's reactions and gain some sort of respect, I guess. As long as I'm working at it, though, maybe all else will come in time.

Thanks again for the welcome!
Old 06-18-2002, 09:09 PM   #6  
Have faith...

S/C/G: 325/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Hi Irishwings,

I'm new to the forum as well. I have been a little shy about posting but have found so much support just from reading all the posts from these wondeful women! Everyone here has been such an inspiration to me and I know they will inspire you too! I wish you well on your journey. I know we will all succeed!

Crushed
330/323/160
Old 06-18-2002, 09:25 PM   #7  
Gonna fly now!

Hi and thanks SO much for your reply! I'm a little shy about posting too, because I've never really done this before! But like you said, everyone here is SO accepting and supportive! I feel encouraged whenever anyone writes and shares their feelings ~ and so many times, it's something I've felt too!

I think we've found the right place to find and give support . . .and I'm so glad you wrote me! Thanks again, and my warmest wishes to you and to everyone on our weight loss journeys!

Old 06-18-2002, 11:24 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

hey you lovely new ladies!!!! welcome aboard. and yes, post often. ask questions. complain. gripe. whatever. if you're posting, you can't eat!!!

and yes, we all have long hauls ahead of us, but it's possible, one way or another. you just have to find the right combination for you. and it's not an easy process..

so, keep on going. you're off to a great start.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:54 PM   #9  

Hi, Irish, Debbers, Jeanne, and Crushed! Let me take this opportunity to welcome you. This is an awsome place and you can come here anytime of the day or night and get encouragement, motivation, and every once in a while, a huge laugh! Look forward to getting to know you.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:48 AM   #10  

Don't be shy! No reason to be. As you can see, we all discuss a variety of issues and topics here. That's what makes it so wonderful. Being supported by those who truly understand your feelings and battles, is one of the key factors to so much success on these boards. We've all started somewhere, and with hard work and determination..we going down. Together, 1 lb a time. We all can do this.

You have to force yourself to believe that. You can do this. It will be hard. It will be long. But your worth it. The constant ups and downs, you can get through them. And you can succeed.

My only advice really is to chug as much water as you can handle. And even when you can't handle anothe ounce, for down another 20 ounces. It will help in so many different ways on your journey.

And also..read and post as much as possible here. The encouragement and inspiration is amazing, and before you know it, you'll be melting those lbs off, and feeling pretty darn good about yourself.

Old 06-19-2002, 12:48 PM   #11  
Losin It For GOOD!

Welcome Welcome Welcome,

And just to let you know, I'm a musician myself Isn't music the greatest?
Old 06-19-2002, 12:52 PM   #12  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Hi girls and welcome. Irish wings You must have been reading a post from PAM/GBO who has been so wonderful and thought ful it sounds like her.

Welcome the wnderful part of belonging to an online support system is that nobody know who you are and you can say your deepest darkest sectrets without fear of being judged. it all leads to the reason you are here trying to better your self. I find that seeing others and helping them will help me. I have made such headway with my weight that I now am trying to start a home based business for helping others with their weight loss. It all starts with opening your self up and accepting others help. I had never been able to pass the 20 lb mark and now I have not only blasted that away but have been working out on a almost religious basis. that is a new me. All of it started with this wonderful place.!!

So anyways welcome here and post often it helps!!!
Old 06-19-2002, 02:32 PM   #13  
Gonna fly now!

Thanks so much, for such a wonderful and most kind welcome! I am looking forward to getting to know all of you!

You guys are awesome!

Jiffypop, thanks for the encouraging word! I know that as the days turn into weeks on the program, I can imagine I'll start feeling the need to vent ~ but with such great support, I know I'll keep going!

Hi Velvet ~ I am looking forward to all the many laughs that await! Everyone here is so bright and enthusiastic. . .one can't help but be encouraged!

Hi Jenniffer and thanks for all of your awesome words of wisdom! It helps so incredibly much to hear someone write to me that I am worth it and that I CAN succeed at this and that dreams really can come true! You're so right about water. . .I'm going to take your words to heart and get dedicated to it! In fact I'm sippin' away right this very minute!

Hi Beth Anne, thanks for your warm welcome! Music really IS the greatest. . .it brings a joy to me that nothing else does! Plus, when I listen to it, it helps exercise go a LOT faster!

Hi nasus40 and thanks! ! ! CONGRATS on your weight loss and discipline in working out. . .that is an inspiration to me! That's super! And I love how you said "that is a new me" . . .that is exactly what I'm hoping for! ! !
Closed Thread