3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Saved by the grocery store label (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/172860-saved-grocery-store-label.html)

Nada 05-29-2009 01:48 PM

Saved by the grocery store label

I've always said I do moderation in moderation. Meaning there are a few things I have cut out altogether but most everything else I enjoy in small amounts. I don't eat fried foods (not worth the fat/calories to me) chips ('cause I can't control my portions) and store-bought sweets (they never taste as good as they look or that is what I have convinced myself).

OK today we had a luncheon in my office. When I put the salad I made for it in the refrigeator I saw the MOST gorgeous coconut cake. We have a couple of really good bakers here too. Imagine my relief when it came out and I saw it was from a grocery store! If it had been homemade the story might have ended differently, but I had salad and it was wonderful because I got the lettuce fresh from the farmer's market.

JulieJ08 05-29-2009 01:58 PM

I grumble a lot about the appalling quality of most food in this country, but you're right, it does cut out a great deal of my temptation!

MugCanDoIt 05-29-2009 02:26 PM

oh....coconut cake....I want some.....oh......

kiramira 05-29-2009 02:33 PM

MMMmmmmm COCOnut.....

Well done YOU!!!!

Kira

Nada 05-29-2009 02:41 PM

As I said, if it had been homemade..................

Sandi 05-29-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nada (Post 2761524)
store-bought sweets (they never taste as good as they look

I need to remind myself of this. It is sooooo true!!

Homemade is a whole different story!

Good job!

Trazey34 05-29-2009 03:44 PM

My office went out today for lunch and the waiter brought my lunch minus the sundried tomatoes i wanted - he felt bad but no biggie, i ate it. When he was bringing the bills, he brought me a small piece of dessert and said it was to make it up to me -- it looked FAKE and not yummy at all, so i made sure everyone took a big giant bite and left the rest! no one even noticed i didn't even try it!!!

unless it's fabulous, i'm not spending my calories on it!!!

cfmama 05-29-2009 04:53 PM

That is a fantastic attitude. That stuff NEVER tastes as good as it looks!

beerab 05-29-2009 05:17 PM

But I WANT it to taste that good :cry:

Usually at home I made reduced sugar everything when it comes to sweets :)

Arctic Mama 05-29-2009 10:06 PM

Saved by the label indeed! So rarely does that stuff taste as good as it looks (thank goodness!).

cestlavie22 05-30-2009 02:36 PM

i find reading the labels is so helpful. store bought treats often have so many ingredients i can't pronounce and often have hydrogenated oil or transfats. If i can't pronounce it, i probably shouldn't eat it :)

Star2Be 05-30-2009 02:39 PM

What a great victory for you! WTG! :cp: And I agree, as appealing as that stuff looks, it is *never* as good as you want it to be... For a lot of things, too! I remember that a few months ago, for the longest time I was really craving some toffee (who knows why?! heh) but hadn't done anything about it, when finally I was at home and somehow unearthed half a bag of fun-size Heath bars that someone in my family must have been hiding... And though I resisted for a couple days, I finally gave in and ate quite a few of them, heh. :o And ya know what?--they were not at ALL as good as they tasted in my head! The toffee wasn't crunchy enough, the chocolate was waxy, etc... It really just wasn't worth it. :no:

Especially as of late, I've really been trying to think twice before trying to satisfy a craving with something that might not be quite what I want... When I have indulgences now, I reeeally want to hold out for the premium stuff that I *know* is going to be every bit as decadent as I want/need it to be. ;) I relish each and every one of my treats, BUT it just isn't worth it to waste the calories on something that isn't the absolute best, most delicious thing you can think of in that moment! Heh.

sprklemajik 05-30-2009 05:33 PM

Great Job! Way to resist!