Old 05-26-2009, 07:15 AM   #1  
Reached Goal Sept 11/09

S/C/G: 228/135

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy I never used to have this problem (warning - whiny)

Before I started losing weight, I hadn't had a period in about 8 months. After the first month on program, I started getting periods again. Took a few months to stabilize, but now I get a regular period. Which is great. However...

When I was obese, my hormonal fluctuations never affected my weight loss. I would plow through my ToM showing record losses. Now, as a approach the "healthy" weight range, I find that I cannot lose during ToM. In fact, I am up 2 whole pounds from last week due to my period. Now, I know it is temporary. And I know this happened last month and that I lost 4.5 lbs the next week. I just feel whiny.....

I guess after 10 months, I am just a little diet-fatigued today (and hormonal ) and I should just do what I always do and move forward. I am off to the gym this morning for weights, and will stick to my plan this week. <sigh>

I guess I was just hoping that - since I was so close to the 140s last week - that this month would be different and I would see a loss this week. Alas, I am still subject to the laws of nature.

Have a good day all. Hope my whining doesn't bum you all out.

Peace, Heather
MrsWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:20 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsWolf View Post
I am just a little diet-fatigued today (and hormonal ) and I should just do what I always do and move forward. I am off to the gym this morning for weights, and will stick to my plan this week. <sigh>

I guess I was just hoping that - since I was so close to the 140s last week - that this month would be different and I would see a loss this week. r
Yes! You SHOULD do what you've always done and move forward. That's it. STICK with your plan. When that TOM water weight wooshes away, so will all the lbs and any ones you would have lost during TOM by STICKING with your plan and not letting a slight & NORMAL blip get to you.

So now there's something really good to look forward to next week.

EDITED TO ADD: Just look what you've done for yourself! This is marvelous. Your hard work and being a healthy weight has brought about a "normal" period. Pretty darn incredible. Good for you. That's fabulous. Really, really fabulous.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-26-2009 at 07:21 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Being on birth control, my period was always pretty regular and kept being regular as I lost weight. I didn't have any massive gains during my TOM...just stayed steady.

Until about 6 months from being done. Then it got where I didn't lose a single POUND three weeks of the month, and I'd drop 3-5 during/after my TOM.

And now...I'm steady three weeks of the month, gain 3-5 pounds during my TOM and go back to normal afterward.

Weird how our bodies change during this whole process...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #4  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I know it's tough to see that fluctuation during your TOM, but I think it's just so great it's regular and you can see the connection to this in your new lifestyle.

I know what it's like not have things be regular/OK and I just think that even though it's a bit tougher around that TOM, it's so worth it in the health benefit of knowing your body is working the way it was supposed to, especially after it didn't before.

Try not to get too frustrated and look at this as a sign of health and what you've accomplished rather than a big pain in the patoot.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #5  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

You aren't being whiny --- you are being frustrated, which I would be too! Dang it!

You have already decided that this frustration isn't going to derail you --- applause for a very good choice! But maybe there is something you can do to bust through the diet-fatigue. You could try a meal that is very new and different and still OP --- lots of good recipes on this site (and others.) Or you could tempt your SO into a 15 minute tango/dance session with some upbeat music on your stereo (do people still use stereos in this world of Ipods?) You could go try on clothes in a store that is far outside your normal venue --- like some really hot formal dresses (prom and wedding season are upon us).

Or find a focus outside this whole weight-loss thing --- start that scrapbook or take that art class or register for some job-related training or plan a ladies' day out or do something else that sparks your passion.

It's important to remind ourselves sometimes that this eating/exercise thing isn't our life --- it is just the support system that makes the life we really want to be leading possible.

Hang in there!
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #6  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I'm sorry you're feeling so rough.

I wanted to let you know, though, that you've cheered me up - my periods have returned and we all thought I'd long done with them, given my age (50 when they stopped, 52 when they came back, now 54 and they keep me guessing) and a 2 year gap with nothing. The docs are taking it very seriously, and I had the acky ultrasounds last week, got the hideous hysteroscopy this week. I Know they have to be cautious but I do feel a bit better today hearing your story of weightloss affecting your periods, so thankyou!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #7  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Oh that sucks babe. My hormones effect my weight loss big time. I usually don't lose any the week before or maybe even gain a bit. Yah there is a big loss the next week but it still bites. I empathize with you.

BTW... CONGRATULATIONS on how far you have come!!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #8  
Reached Goal Sept 11/09

S/C/G: 228/135

Height: 5'4"

Thank you all for your support. I feel much better after going to the gym (thank you endorphins!). I don't usually get too bummed about these things, but I have been working through a transition phase in my life, and feeling a bit overwhelmed, I think. Oh.. and I'm really impatient. LOL.

Lucky for me, I am used to my own neuroticism and planned the next few days' food last night (in anticipation of this very problem). So, I should be fine for sticking to my plan. And the water should be gone in a few days.

You ladies are the best!

Peace, Heather
MrsWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:27 PM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

The TOM can be so frustrating, I am dealing with water retention as well . But sticking to your guns and keeping on plan is THE way to go, and next week you'll probably show a huge loss to compensate! Don't get too annoyed with the scale
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:11 AM   #10  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
Until about 6 months from being done. Then it got where I didn't lose a single POUND three weeks of the month, and I'd drop 3-5 during/after my TOM.
Hey, I thought I was the only one whose body did this!! I am TOTALLY in this "stage" right now... I maintain/lose maybe 2-3 lbs during the other three weeks (if I'm lucky), and then lose anywhere from 5-8 lbs during TOM--it's absolutely nuts! But wow, it's cool to know that I'm not alone, heh. I wonder how my body will settle into this once I get at(/under) goal...
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote