Old 05-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Need some advice

Good morning everyone! I am pretty new, I am sure this has been discussed many times, and I tried to do a search but was unsucessful so I am sorry if this offend someone that has discussed it before.
How often do you weigh yourself? If you are conpulsive about food, you can be compulsive about everything, even the scale.
I have been on my program 9 days, lost 10lbls, but none in the last few days.
I am on a low carb program, and still have cravings, would kill for a cracker sometimes! LOL!
Any advice you could give me would be great.
Scarlet
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

For my own mental wellbeing, I only weigh once a week. Mostly, lol.

I find that if I find on a weighday that I've lost 2lbs, 1lb, ****, one week .2 (Point 2!) of a pound, I'm happy. If I weigh daily and find it up and down and 'only' ending up at 2 or even point 2, I'm anxious and depressed and agitated and far more likely to panic.

The only time I weigh more often is if I find on weighday that I'm very near a target. For example on Tuesday, weighday, I was 186.6; 186 was a significant target for me (4 stone lost) and I decided to weigh daily until I got to it - which, lucky me, was Wednesday!

ps, congratulations on the 10lbs!

Last edited by Rosinante; 05-22-2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: to add congrats
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #3  

Thank you Ailidh for your response. I think you have the right idea. If I haven't lost anything according to the scale every morning, panic does set in. This is not a good way to start the day. Thanks again!
Old 05-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: See signature

Height: 5'5

Hi Scarlet!

I usually weight myself once a week (every now and again, I might hop on mid-week if I feel I **gained**to get myself back into being strict). Anyway, what I usually do is pick one set-weigh in day, usually Sunday morning. I do this because I try to be good all day on Saturday and consume a lot of water, that way I can use the excuse "Im retaining water". And almost always, I see I drop on the scale.

Oh - I also have a chart, where I record my weight (good, bad or indifferent) and record my mood at the time I weighed and keep it in a very visible place (the kitchen). Its almost a remind at why I try to be good and if I did have a bad week, why I want to avoid that same pattern (my mood is usually depressed, or angsty on no lost or weight gain).

Anyway - good luck!
luckylindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #5  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

I weigh once a week on Mondays for an official number, but I sometimes get on the scale on Friday just to see where I'm at, so that I can keep myself on track for the weekend.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

When I used to weigh in daily I'd get FRUSTRATED as heck. I find setting ONE DAY as your official weigh in really helps, sometimes I randomly weigh in- but those don't count, lol
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #7  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

I weigh once per week, Sunday morning after going potty.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #8  

Great suggestions all of them, thank you so much!
Devsmama yes, must potty first, and be naked! hehe!
beerab I agree, random weigh ins never count!
Old 05-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

Every Monday morning for me. I've noticed that a lot of other posters do the same. Perhaps it is the weekend accountability factor. I write down every Monday morning's number, and in the beginning that is the only time I weighed myself.

Now I weigh every day, because I want to 'see how it's going' but I still only write down the Monday morning weigh-in.

Most important to me is the total lost for the month. Weekly is also important, as that should be consistent in going downward, though it probably won't every single week. But daily -- I feel daily is just too variable to 'count.' Like others said, that can be crazy-making when you're losing!
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #10  
1 day at a time!

S/C/G: 276/264/146

Height: 5'9"

Hey scarlet - I'm also on a low carb diet - day 26 of Atkin's Induction. Cravings still come and go - I found making sure I ate till I'm full helpful - but recently it has been hard (I have no appetite!)

Around Day 10 I had a mini melt down. I was completely sick of Low-Carb and so ready to try something else. I am not a big salad and veg fan, and Carbs were my best friends. I still miss my comfort foods. The feelings soon passed as well as most of my cravings.

Every morning I sneak a weigh in. It kinds of keeps me on track - Any gain I know I have to double my efforts that day. However I do it at the same time every morning - just after I have used the bathroom.

A 10lb lost is amazing. I've lost a total of 16lbs in 26 days - so you are way ahead of me . I have tried recently the Muffin in a Minute recipe found on the low-carb recipe's section and it kinda help my 'bread' craving, but I know I can't eat it daily!

I think the best advice is just to stick with it. Drinking enough water (at least 8 8oz glasses daily) is essential. Somewhere here I read after 21 days it becomes a habit (i think that was the phrase). Good luck!
emmalee51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #11  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I weigh myself every morning, but I have learned to not let it affect my day. If I'm sticking to my plan and the scale doesn't budge for several days, I actually look forward to the next weigh in. That's because I know when the scale catches up to my healthy behavior it's going to be good number.

I also think of the scale as my body talking back to me. The big loss of the first week of healthy eating and exercise is my body saying, "Finally! Thank you for trying! I'm going to give you an incentive to keep going!" When the scale doesn't move I hear it saying, "I'm just testing your commitment to losing weight. If you pass the test and stick with it, I'll reward you with a nice number in the next few days!" Or it might be saying, "Eat some fiber, girl!" Down a pound in a day, "Thank you for that long walk and good food!" Up a pound, "Just seeing if you were paying attention." Down 2 pounds, "Woo Hoo!" etc.

Now you all think I'm weird, don't you?

I find the first thing I drop from my routine when I'm falling off the wagon is the daily weigh in. It's so much easier to not be accountable when the evidence isn't flashing at you daily from an LCD scale readout.

Last edited by CLCSC145; 05-22-2009 at 02:00 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #12  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Isn't that funny...I am the same way! If I don't know what I weigh then I am not trying!!

My "official" write down day is Thursday, but I weigh every day just to check in!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #13  
1 day at a time!

S/C/G: 276/264/146

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
Isn't that funny...I am the same way! If I don't know what I weigh then I am not trying!!

My "official" write down day is Thursday, but I weigh every day just to check in!
I know so many people on this board, and others that say you should never weigh in daily and that it is a sure fire way of setting yourself up for failure.

For me, it is how I know I'm doing something right/wrong - I expect some ups (esp around that TOM) - but seeing an up, down or no movement inspires me daily. If I've eaten something new I quickly know that it is or isn't working by my scale!

I just make sure to weigh in at the same time daily. I laugh at myself now - I used to only weigh in once a month and not even care if there was any change. I even told myself when I first began that I 'd continue that once a month weigh in. Now every little change inspires my to go those extra minutes on the treadmill!

I'm glad there are some who check in daily!
emmalee51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #14  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I weigh in every day, but I record my official weight on Monday. I have an excel sheet that tracks my weight each week (and charts the progress).

Its hard, but you have to take the daily fluctuations for granted, it doesn't mean fat gain when the numbers go up slightly. Its the long term trend that is important
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #15  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I weigh every single morning right after my pee and naked. I track it on fit day and in my journal. It does keep me very accountable I find!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote