Old 05-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #1  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Discouraged because I have a Family Reunion and A Wedding this weekend.

I have a Family Reunion on Saturday and A Wedding on Sunday so discouraged about my eating plan this weekend. My Sister and I are trying to lose weight so she told me to bring a salad on Saturday to the Family Reunion. It's being put on by the bride to be's Family and don't know what they will be cooking. It's to be a cookout so probably hamburger's , hot dogs and/or brats. The Wedding Sunday will be a catered meal not sure what they are having yet. It's hard staying on my diet the last few days knowing I have two big eating events to deal with. I know what I should eat but whether I stick with that or just have a binge weekend remains to be seen.
I have been struggling to get under 200 LBS. But keep sabatoging myself by going off plan. I calorie count and exercise some. But anyone have some ideas to deal better with summer eating events.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

How about picking ONE item you must have- then loading up on veggies? When my sister went to a baby shower she got one carne asada taco then loaded up on salad and salsa- she was satisfied. When my job has potlucks I always load my plate with salad then pick one or two items to try- no one notices because all they see is a full plate

Or take a small portion of what you'd like and load up on the healthy stuff then say NO seconds

You've come a long way and are almost there- don't get discouraged

Last edited by beerab; 05-21-2009 at 03:44 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Don't be discouraged! For me summer is easier. Summer fare is pretty easy to tweak and is lighter in general. If I'm at a cookout with no backup plan I'll eat a burger pattie and load up on the greens. No shame in a little protein! I don't eat the bun and don't really miss it. Usually there is fresh fruit around to snack on too . Drink lots of water and have a great time!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You must be doing something right. You have lost 54 pounds. Take a nice green salad to the reunion, take a bottle or two of dressing so they can choose whatever dressing they they want be sure one of the dressings is non fat take bottle or two of Wihbone Spritzers, very low calorie and fun to use , you spray it on there are several varieties I usually try to eat the hot dog or hamburger without the bun to save calories. No one has ever noticed. As for the wedding you will just have to make the best decision you can and small portions, again no one will notice what you are eating,

Last edited by bargoo; 05-21-2009 at 03:46 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Last year, I went to a large family party (150+) people. I brought my own food for myself and my husband. We ate some of the offered food but mostly ate our own food. The important part was hanging out and talking to people.

This year, my grand parents had their 50th wedding anniversary and had a large party (150+ people) . Again, I brought my own food in a cooler and ate some of the offered food. The important part was hanging out and talking to people
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #6  
1 day at a time!

S/C/G: 276/264/146

Height: 5'9"

Vickie - I think everyone's covered it - just stay away from the alcohol and desserts (high sugar and calorie content).

These next three weekends will be hard for me also - I tend to pack my own salad and just eat bbq meats (always ask them to be light on the bbq sauce for my pieces!)

Maybe try to squeeze in some extra exercise if possible! I keep a few workout videos on my ipod nano for a *quick* workouts if needed - saves me when I'm away for the weekend (like these three coming) and there is no gym :/
emmalee51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #7  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

My trick for desserts is Three Bites of Bliss. Instead of trying to resist the lure of the dessert, I plan for it. I savor that first bite slowly, letting it fill up my mouth and cover my tongue. Then I take another bite, to get the full effect of the texture and flavor. A third bite, so I don't feel like I'm depriving myself.... and I'm done. And I'm satisfied! I was terribly surprised the first time I did this, and the second, and the third, that I was able to easily push away the rest of the plate. I was indeed satisfied, and didn't feel like I'd deprived myself.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

I like that description, synger. It can be liberating to find out that you're just as satisfied (or almost as satisfied!) with less like that.

The BBQ actually doesn't sound so bad. Simple foods like a modest piece of meat are at least something you know -- better than someone's casserole. And you will have your salad, so you will be set even if you don't want to include anything else that's there in your day's plan.

Hopefully the wedding will be buffet. I find buffets very easy, to pick and choose.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #9  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Thank You All for the helpful ideas and Encouragement. I decided to look up some calorie counts for various picnic foods and wedding foods to help plan a little better. I'm taking water to drink but just need to figure out the food part. Everyone Have A Safe And Happy Memorial Day!
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote