Old 05-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
@ seashell's suggestion!

Lets see if it were me...I guess I would be honest. "I'll think I'll pass on the pizza. I'm trying to eat as healthy as possible these days and pizza definitely doesn't fit into that category."---You say nothing about a diet but tell the truth at the same time. It's a win/win situation.
I don't think it's dishonest to say that Dairy is a problem for me right now. Because that IS the case. It's highly caloric and full of fat and when trying to lose and maintain weight, or you just plain old don't feel like eating it - it IS problematic.

I personally try to not mention and comment on the quality and nutrition of what other people are eating. And I feel by saying that I won't eat something because it's not healthy, is kind of judging what they are in fact eating. It could make people uncomfortable.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

I can relate, when I first started dieting I went to a party hosted by a good friend, but besides her I didn't know anyone. It was a fairly small gathering and when it came time to eat pizza I turned it down. Everyone ask why, I was surprised because who cares what I eat right? I told them that I was trying to lose weight and everyone launched in about moderation and how one piece wouldn't hurt. I said No thanks and also turned down having a few drinks...Boy was I unpopular at that party. Turning down food and drinking at a party really does view you as a party pooper especially if you says it's because of wanting to lose weight. I think that is sad.

My husband is lactose intolerant, without the pills he takes, a slice of pizza would send him running to the bathroom all night. So I think saying the milk bothers you is a good way to go, I'm sure no one wants to see your stomach upset.
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #18  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I personally try to not mention and comment on the quality and nutrition of what other people are eating. And I feel by saying that I won't eat something because it's not healthy, is kind of judging what they are in fact eating. It could make people uncomfortable.

that's a great observation -- i never comment either, why make someone feel crappy about something they're eating, who knows maybe it's their one treat that week, or it's just plain none of our beeswax.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:57 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

Well, I have a beautiful salad made up for work tomorrow. Most of the stress coming from this is all me...it really is not my co-workers. I work with 7 very nice people...none of whom would ever make snide comments or make my feel bad about not eating what everyone else is eating. I have just spent the majority of my life doing everything possible to avoid standing out or drawing attention to myself because of my weight. I would never eating something because someone made me feel guilty about it, but I have in the past (not tomorrow...no way, no how) eaten things just because I didn't want to stand out and be different.

Thanks for all the support! It's made me feel much better.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 280/256/234

Height: 5ft 2inches

I work in a small office also and we do staff lunches every now and then but we all have weird food issues so it is not a big deal when I do not eat the pizza. I tell them I am a food snob and will only eat realy good pizza and I have not found any really good near the office. I really am a food snob so I have been telling them this from the beganing. It will be stranger for people if this is a big change for you but everyone will understand not eating it for health reasons. I sugest you try to be breif and do not use the word diet if you can help it.
5aday is offline   Reply With Quote