Need Books I Can Read to Help with Overeating?

• Hi,

Does anyone have some good books or articles to read to help with overeating? Thank You!
  • The Beck Diet solution by Judith Beck and a podcast called insideoutweightloss by Renee Stephens have really helped me change my habits and overeat less. Even if you don't have an ipod, you can listen to the podcast on your computer.
  • Jen415 just posted this -- not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but it does sound interesting. The book is called The End of Overeating.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170801

I'm also reading Jillian Michaels' Master Your Metabolism, which talks about how to keep your body in a good hormonal balance.

I'm a huge overeater/binger and for me, I have found it easier to say no the more I learn about how these foods affect different processes in my body. For example, I'm not scared of the calories of a McDonald's meal, I could afford it, I'm afraid it will trigger something in body that will make me crave more.

Hope you find something good!
  • Laurel Mellin's "The Solution"... it "identifies the psychological, physical and lifestyle causes of weight problems - the powerful mind and body drives that lead to overeating and inactivity - and offers the cure for each."
  • The Body Fat Solution by Tom Venuto was recently recommended to us by Meg, one of our maintainers. She said it's the best book on weight loss she has read. I am looking forward to picking up a copy of it myself.
  • Also, "Life is Hard Food is Easy" by Linda Spangle: "The 5-Step Plan to Overcome Emotional Eating and Lose Weight on any Diet".
  • thanks for all the info here.
  • Any (and all) book by Geneen Roth who not only used to be fat and is now thin, but speaks very candidly about emotional eating (which often tends to be the source for over eating) in a way that you feel like her friend. She sheds humor and light on the subject. I enjoy all her books but would suggest any of these:

Breaking Free From Emotional Eating
    Why Weight? A Guide to Ending Compulsive Eating
    When you Eat at the Refrigerator Pull Up a Chair (I enjoy the humor of this one)
    Feeding the Hungry Heart

She has a few more, but these are all good.

Good luck!
  • i worked through "The Food and Feelings Workbook" by Karen Koenig.

it was hard work, but it put a lot of things into perspective.

isolde
  • Thank You all for the great books to read. I need to work on my reasons for overeating. Diet and Exercise work, but I also want to work on overeating issues.
  • This thread comes to mind...http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158483

I read the thin commandments based on the recommendation and LOVED it!!
  • I really liked Dr. Phil's weight loss book

it had alot of keys in it to emotional eating and how to fight it....as well as other things for dieting
  • Quote: This thread comes to mind...http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158483

I read the thin commandments based on the recommendation and LOVED it!!
    This is the exact book that I was going to mention. Mandalinn was the one that pointed it out to me a while back, as she said that when she read it, it reminded her of "my plan". And she was right (isn't she always?). I LOVE it.
  • The Four Day Win really changed a lot of my attitudes toward food and eating. It has a real emphasis on working with my inner conversations... the ones that try to tell me "oh, one bite won't hurt you" or "c'mon, you've been so good, you deserve a treat". It works with pretty much any food plan... it's much more focused on attitude and habit.