Losing weight on Holidays

• Hi There All,

Just wanted to say hi, I did a little hello already in the intro section, but thought I would say hi here too!! I have been losing weight for, I think the 4th time in the last 10 years, I have been very close before, but never really got down to goal, it's hard to convince myself that this time will be different, but I am working on it, and you have to be positive so...
    Now since the start of February, nearly 50 gone...working my way towards the 100lb mark, and beyond.
    I am going on Holidays tomorrow, so wish me luck in my target weight loss for the week of 3lbs - holidays and losing weight don't usually go hand in hand, but here's hoping. I am planning lots of veggies, and long walks
  • Planning the veggies and walks is a good idea. It is possible to lose weight while on vacation... it's all about choices! Have a fun trip!
  • Wow, 50 pounds gone already! That's great!!

Don't worry about convincing yourself this will be different, just be different. Sometimes I think we psych ourselves out but when we focus on making the smaller choices better ones, it seems much more doable. That's my experience anyway.

I would say the biggest thing is to go into vacation with a plan and don't decide you should jump ship just because you slip once or twice. Good luck and have fun!!
  • Congratulations on the great loss already!

I hear what you're saying about staying on plan on holiday - I'm going away in 6 weeks and my big downfall is hotel breakfasts. I can order skinny off a menu but it is definitely harder when a huge meat/bread/cheese buffet is laid out in front of you. I've sworn to try though, so I'll copy you and make a plan.
    Good luck with yours and enjoy the break!
  • Thanks Guys!
    Off early in the morning, can't wait.
    Fingers croosed, I'll let you know how I get on upon my return!
  • Quote: I would say the biggest thing is to go into vacation with a plan and don't decide you should jump ship just because you slip once or twice. Good luck and have fun!!
    Thanks for that, you are definitely right there, I will keep that at front of my mind.
  • SO, IT cAN BE DONE
    I Lost nearly 2 lbs (that is in 2 weeks though)
    so, that means, I more or less maintained for the week away.
    I am happy with that, as I didn't have to watch myself too much, I just made sure to avoid the carbs where possible, and a bit of excercise.
    Yay...back on track now for some serioud loss in the weeks ahead
    Thanks all for messages
  • Quote: I Lost nearly 2 lbs (that is in 2 weeks though)
    so, that means, I more or less maintained for the week away.
    That's a great success Ellie! You should be proud!
  • Wow Ellie--congratulations on your success thus far. That is amazing! How exciting for you!

You can do the three pounds. Your plan of veggies and nice, long and enjoyable walks sound like the way to go. Be sure to let us know when you arrive back.

Have fun!
  • That's awesome! Good job!
  • Congratulations! Not just on that one-time achievement but also because you've clearly got the healthy weight loss mentality, through and through! Well done!
  • Thanks guys for all your nice words!

I have lost 5 lbs since I got back around 10 days ago.
    And a word of encouragement for others going on a holiday... I think the main difference here, was that I went away with the notion that I was going to do my best. I think in the past a holiday has always meant a holiday from a diet as well, and if you have that notion then I suppose you will always eat twice as much as you should be - in the vein of "I have to go back on the diet when I return, I better eat as much as I can possibly fit in while I am on Holiday!!!"
    This time, my attitude was more like, I'm on holiday, so I don't want to be consumed with guilt if I have a handful of crisps or nuts, but each day, I will get up, and have a proper healthy breakfast, and take it from there.

thanks again

E