3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > 100 lb. Club

This Is Whatís Different

Old 08-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #31
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
I read a post by my friend Colleen recently (kaplods) where she was talking about being seen in a bathing suit and she said something like, 'I have as much right to be on this planet as anyone.' She certainly does. We all do. But up until quite recently, I couldn't have said to you that DCHound has as much right to ________ as anyone. I didn't feel that way about myself. Now I do. More than yesterday. And a bit more tomorrow. Join me, won't you?
I definitely will join you!

Thanks so much for sharing your beautifully written post. It's just what I needed to read and think about.

Mini-goal 1: Reach 257lbs
Mini-goal 2: Reach 222lbs
Mini-goal 3: Reach 209lbs
Mini-goal 4: Reach 199!
Mini-goal 5: Reach 179 lbs (overweight BMI category!!)
Mini-goal 6: Reach 160lbs
Final goal: Reach 145lbs

Mini exercise goal 1: Begin running September 2012
Mini exercise goal 2: Celebrate graduation with a 5K
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #32
unabashed

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/149

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Just lie. Pretend. Go put on a nice blouse and a pair of earrings and lipstick ~ that's all, nothing special ~ then go look in your mirror, make eye contact, and say outloud, "Dek, you look good! I like you, and I love you." Doesn't matter if you think you actually look good or not, just do it. Doesn't matter how you really feel about yourself ~ just do it. Then do it again tomorrow. Twice. And the next day. And keep on doing it. AND EVENTUALLY IT WILL WORK. I promise. I believe I did this many times a day, for MONTHS, before I really started to believe what I was hearing. I learned I had to pretend I felt OK before I actually did feel OK. Then I started feeling good sometimes, and OK sometimes, and sad a little bit of the time. Then the ratio began shifting more to the good, and less to the sad. And on and on.

Others here call it "fake it til you make it." It really, really works. Do I like myself all the time? No. Do I love myself all the time? Nope. Do I cut myself down sometimes? Sure. But, percentage-wise, I am 99% kinder to myself, and I love myself 1000% more, than I did a year ago. Or ten years ago. Or 39 years ago even.

It's a process, and it's a journey, and you have to enjoy the journey. Just pretend to enjoy it at first...it'll kick in eventually.
I was in therapy years ago and thought I was a 'bad person', thought all sorts of negative things and had awful self image. but...my then therapist told me to fake it, and every time I had a negative thought pop up to make sure I countered it with a positive one, regardless of whether or not I believed it, 6 months later and I was WORKIN' THAT.

it sounds silly I guess, but it really works!

it's kind of like when you hear a song you hate but the radio plays it over and over and at the end of the month you are singing along

lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #33
aka Confessor Siuan

S/C/G: 324/318/225 (first goal)

Height: 5"7'

Wonderful post DC!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #34

Beautiful post DC. You're an inspiration to all of us.
waquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:22 AM   #35
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Quote:
I think what Iím trying to say is, thereís a lot more to weightloss than simply losing weight. It is more than just a physical journey, itís a mental journey.
AB.SOL.UTELY.

I cannot agree more.

I can't believe how much I feel like I've learned about myself in the past 4 months of changing my lifestyle. Making the final plunge to become healthy in EVERYTHING, including my eating (which is what is making the difference).

Sometimes it feels that the past 4 months has been 4 years... and sometimes it feels like 4 weeks. But for some reason... I feel so much older (in a good way though, maybe mature is the word), better, and STRONGER. And proud of myself. And happy.

My whole LIFE just seems so much better for it.....

Overall Weight Goal (Started Spring 2006)

My Newest Goal: Lose 2011's Gained Stress Weight & Get Back to my Lowest Weight in Time for my Dec' 11 Vacation!!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:16 AM   #36
live ur life

S/C/G: 236/230/150

Height: 5'8

thanks so much for the beautiful post. i completely understand how you feel!
caliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:09 AM   #37
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

DCHound - Thank you so much for putting your struggles and triumphs into words with this very moving, heartfelt and wonderfullly inspirational post. You essentiallly told my story as well, but much more eloquently than I. I can tell this time is different for me too...because I do care more and love myself more than ever.

Say it... shout it... believe it... "I AM GOING TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!"...then DO IT!

"You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there." ~ Edwin Louis Cole

My Mini Goals:
1) Exercise 6 days per week at least 45 minutes per day
2) Every day burn at least 500 more calories than I eat
3) Goal weight for bariatric surgery (need to reach by 11/7): 224
4) Make the most of each moment
diyana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #38
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

You truly are an inspiration to many of us. Thank you for this post

Transformation in Pictures

My Facebook

Achievement seems to be connected with action. Successful men and women keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
- Conrad Hilton

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietitian, nutritionist, any kind of health professional or fitness expert...I'm just a woman who's lost 161.5 pounds so far with a lot of hard work.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #39
BELIEVE!

DC - It was awesome to see this thread pop back up today! You Rock!
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #40

S/C/G: 256/179/145

Height: 5'6"

Thank you for the beautiful post!

scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #41

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

This is a great post. Very inspirational. Thanks for the post DC and thanks Judy for bringing it back to us.

findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #42
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
I think what Iím trying to say is, thereís a lot more to weightloss than simply losing weight. It is more than just a physical journey, itís a mental journey.

Iíve made this journey before but ultimately failed because I only made the physical journey, the ďbeing on a diet and losing weightĒ part. I didnít change my mindset one iota, and when tough times came I caved and gained it all back, and then some.
I wish someone would have sat me down in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, early 2008, and forced me to spend time reflecting on my life, choices, habits and reality. I might have gotten here earlier. But whatís past is past. Iím here now. Itís a total life-change. And Iím truly happy.

And last night, when I realized that I have finally stuck with it, and Iím really reaping the rewardsÖfor a few seconds I was completely and utterly happy and content. What a wonderful feeling it was.

Maybe reading this will help someone whoís teetering on the edge of beginning their journey take that first step. I hope so, anyway.

such a moving post, thanks for sharing it. It does help me to read it (and I went through and read it twice).

I've made a lot of lifestyle changes over the past years (changes that are sticking), and I can't help feeling like this is my time to figure out how to push myself harder and farther. so much of it really is in my brain; I consider myself to be teetering in a lot of ways. Not that I think I'll give up, or gain back the weight. But I think it's finally penetrating my thick skull how much I really want to know how spectacular it will feel to reach my goal weight.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #43
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Wow, I'm shocked to see this come back up. I needed to read it myself...tomorrow's my one-year anniversary. Thanks y'all.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #44
Moderator - 100lb club

Height: 5'6

This one is so awesome, I even linked it in the posts to remember thread!

The Secret is: CONSISTENCY
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #45

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I'm posting today to say "Happy belated anniversary" to you, DCHound. I recognize many names as still active members on this site. This thread needs to be bumped. Great attitude and great job. You are 100% (possibly even more!) correct in all that you say about the mental process.

Lin

Life style change started on Jan 13, 2011. I was going to lose 100 pounds by Christmas.
I lost 93 pounds by Oct 1, 2011 and am holding there for now. We'll see what happens.
New goal: To maintain at about 160 Final Goal: To decide if I need to lose more
Just Keep On Keepin' On
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.