Old 03-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Default Calling out all the "Shorties"

OKAY! Here we go gals. I couldn't help myself- with all the stuff going on with the tall girls I think us short girls need our own little spot to gripe lol.

at 5'0" life is NOT easy lol...

A few things that annoy me about being short:
~Sitting behind people in class, movies, anything with rows of seating. I can NEVER see past people.
~STANDING in a crowd of people. Ever been to a crowded place and tried to look around only to see other people's backs and butts? Not pleasant.
~CLOTHES! Everything is always too big! Pants are a foot long, and sleeves are so long the drag into EVERYTHING. (On a little plus side it may not look great, but in the winter if you forget your gloves you can just hide your hands in your very long jacket sleeves)
~You look overweight at a much smaller weight than taller people. FRUSTRATING!
~In a related point: The extra weight you have has less space to spread out so you end up looking like a big ball. (and more stretched skin!)
~ You've been called "cute" for your entire life and have come to hate that word.

Feel free to add on and share your own stories. Us short chicks need to band together and support each other too!

Last edited by Amber1011; 03-17-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Amber1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

Haha. Let me just tell you, Being a tall woman is not easy either. I'm as tall as most men if not taller... And when I wear heels I tower above everyone. ALL my friends are between 5'0"-5'4", I look like a giant beside them!
I have issues when men being shorter than me... I can't deal with it. Atleast you will never have to worry about that!

Last edited by luvja; 03-17-2009 at 02:00 PM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/230/130-150

Height: 5'3"

I just like how clothing companies think all plus side people are tall. I go into
a store to buy jeans and they are so long. and not only are they long the legs are huge. And even in petite stores its really hard to find anything that
fits. Also what i don't like is how most plus size clothing is geared (at least in my town) toward the older generation. I am only 30 years old I do not want to buy clothes that my grandmother wears!!! I keep joking with everyone at work that if I had any fashion sense I was start a business catered to short overweight people lol.
niekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #4  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I'm 5 foot 4.

I'm too tall for petite pants...
but WAY too short for regular length pants!
I can never see over anyone.

teh suxxorz.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #5  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm 5'4" and my pants are always too long. Amber, I like what you said about looking bigger because you're shorter lol...thats definitely true!! I hate when people stand over me when I'm sitting or when more than one person stands near me when I'm standing, I feel towered over.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvja View Post
Haha. Let me just tell you, Being a tall woman is not easy either. I'm as tall as most men if not taller... And when I wear heels I tower above everyone. ALL my friends are between 5'0"-5'4", I look like a giant beside them!
I have issues when men being shorter than me... I can't deal with it. Atleast you will never have to worry about that!
lol. I'm 5'0" and my boyfriend is 6'4"
I wore 5" heals to prom and barely reached his shoulders. My 10 year old niece is like 3 inches shorter than me lol.

I'm not saying tall girls don't have problems, I'm just saying short girls have a lot of issues too lol.

Funny story: I went shopping for new workout pants today and the only pair that would have fit my waist went up to the center of my chest in length. Sadly, its not that uncommon. :/ I took a picture on my cell, I'll see if I can upload it later.
Amber1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #7  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvja View Post
ALL my friends are between 5'0"-5'4", I look like a giant beside them!
Most of my friends are 5'7" or taller, and I look like a little person next to them. Trust me, it's not fun, especially when people think it's cute to point out your height deficit all the time.

My favorite is when a tall person rests their elbow on the top of my head. Yeah, that's HILARIOUS.

I even have to hem petite pants. That's just not right. Though the worst thing about being so short is definitely the weight distribution factor. It takes so much longer to get into a smaller size! Frustrating.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #8  

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by niekka View Post
I just like how clothing companies think all plus side people are tall.

See, I think it's the total opposite. They have a "petite" section in all plus size stores, but not a "tall" section!!!

Last edited by luvja; 03-17-2009 at 11:25 PM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:30 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
My favorite is when a tall person rests their elbow on the top of my head. Yeah, that's HILARIOUS.
I know you said you dislike that and I'm so sorry but I found that actually hilarious. Probably 'cuz it's never happened to me. Lol.

I guess other than looking chubby at a slight weigh gain, I don't mind being so short. I mean, yeah, it's hard to do a lot of stuff without looking silly. My boyfriend is 6'3 and I'm a mere 5'1. One time we were at a Starbucks and the only available place to sit were those tall stools. He hopped on, no problem. But I couldn't get on so he had to put his hands around my waist and sort of try to lift me up on the stool. Lol. Not so easy at 250 lbs. A tall person can get off a stool in a bar and look all sexy but there is no way I can get off a stool gracefully even.

I actually like the cutesy part. If I can't look sexy right now, I know I look cute at least. Even if it isn't a "Wow, she's a cute chick" but an "Aww, look at that cute person waddling." I'll take it.
AmberShimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:23 AM   #10  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

I agree with all of the above, 'cept for what the tall people said.

I just went shopping for new jeans and apparently they don't make petite plus sizes anymore, I used to be able to find them sometimes. At least in my town anyway. I went to 15 different stores to find petite plus I found nothing. SO, I did what I always have to do and get the regular size that are a foot too long and then pay a seamstress to have them altered.

hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

I am just about 5ft 4" too. My husband is 6ft 1". I've only ever dated guys that were 6 feet or taller. I don't know why, it was my unwritten rule.
In high school, I went to winter formal with my boyfriend that was 6ft 5"...at the time I was 4ft 11"! I actually had to stand on a chair to slow dance with him! ROFLMAO!

Okay, I have been looking online for jeans and there are PLENTY of plus size AVERAGE and TALL. Short and round is harder to come by, IMO.

I've never minded being short but my 9 year old is now only 11 inches shorter then me. 11 inches! and he is only the FIRST of 4 sons. I guess I will have to take a page from my grandma's book and let them know that no matter how big they get, that I can still beat 'em.
(Grandma is 5 feet tall, and my 3 uncles were all over 6 feet tall.)

Actually, I am the tallest girl in my family.
My mom is 5ft 3" and my two sisters are shorter then me. So, I am the tallest shortie in my family! LOL!
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I am 5'2" tall. I don't think most manufacturers of petite plus size clothes know what petite plus really is. Finding pants that are short enough from the waist to the crotch is really hard. Most of my pants come up way too high on me.

My list of additional annoying things about being short -

*not being able to reach very high. Grocery shopping can be very annoying as I can not reach anything on the top shelf unless it is on the very edge. At home and at work I keep a stool just so I can reach items.

*being shorter than many 11 and 12 years. It is hard to be an authority figure when they are taller than you.

Also add a vote for
Quote:
You look overweight at a much smaller weight than taller people. FRUSTRATING!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #13  
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberShimmer View Post
I know you said you dislike that and I'm so sorry but I found that actually hilarious. Probably 'cuz it's never happened to me. Lol.

I guess other than looking chubby at a slight weigh gain, I don't mind being so short.
Hee! I sounded a lot more bitter in that comment than I meant to. I pulled a shoulder muscle yesterday and I guess I was in a bad mood. (So stop typing, stupid! )

Anyway, I actually don't mind being short either, with the exception of the elbow-on-head routine. Bony elbows digging into your scalp do not feel good! But as for the rest of it, being short really doesn't bother me much.

Last edited by thistoo; 03-18-2009 at 10:32 AM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 140/111/103

Height: 5'1

[QUOTE=thistoo;2659163]
QUOTE]

this has happened to me! the last time it happened i was having a bad day and got pretty angry and the guy just looked down and said "geez, you have a lot of anger for such a small person" i was madddd! i hate when people patronize my size, yesterday i was using a big broom outside at work to try and get rid of all the winter crap and someone said that "the broom was bigger than me" and "isn't there a strong boy that could do that?"
sm177 is offline   Reply With Quote