Old 03-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Default Can not eating much fat make you feel cold?

I always notice when I've knocked the processed garbge on the head, because I stop holding so much water in my ankles - and in my wrists! When I've been eating very cleanly, I have 6" wrists, good job one part of me's slim.

So, since 02/25, I've stopped eating meat/dairy/sugar/yeast and got my skinny wrists. That's good, and I hope my weight's dropping too, keeping off the scales for another month yet.

Yesterday was an 1100 day, today is going to be an 1800 day, of which I've so far eaten 1250. One more meal to go when I get in from church tonight.

I am SO cold! I've got layers on, the c. heating on, the fire in the room on - and my feet are like blocks of ice, and it's only typing that's keeping my fingers going. BTW, I've checked my feet and they're not a funny colour, and I've got pulses and so on, it's just the coldness.

When I'm not doing this strict WOE, I do eat quite a lot of cheese and fatty meat like bacon or pork. yes, I know. calorie counting doesn't always teach you healthy choices! I do, I do, I do understand the health benefits of not eating too much fat but I also wondered - could lack of it in my diet be makin me feel cold?

I fried some tofu in olive oil for lunch, I've eaten an ounce of cashew nuts, my curry meal home made will have had 2/3 T olive oil in too. I'm not staying away from good fats - but I'm SO COLD!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #2  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

For me it was cutting way down on starchy carbs that caused me to be chillier than usual. I do remember from my stint with liquid replacement meals that being in mild ketosis (having carbs under 100g/day) had me freezing a lot.

The way I got around both situations was to be active. Of course when I relaxed or slept it was back to ice-cubeville. I have a little knit Bula cap that I wear around the house...looks stupid but helps a lot.

Hopefully someone will be along with a more scientific answer.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #3  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I'm finding that RAPID weight loss is what is making me cold! I mean I'm still almost 300 lbs but COLD all the time!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

For me, it doesn't matter what I eat. It's just losing a large amount of weight that makes me cold. It's like I've slid off a heavy coat & am going nearly buck naked.

The first time I lost a large amount of weight (& acquired an eating disorder in the process) & got down to 115 pounds, I remember shivering after eating cold salads or an apple fresh from the refrigerator & actually warming up my Diet Pepsi for a couple minutes in the microwave at lunchtime.

It's not so bad this time, but I'm nearly 30 pounds heavier. But I'm much colder than I used to be. The good thing is, I don't overheat as easily as I used to. (I'm still a very sweaty little exerciser, though.)
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 328/273/170

Height: 6'2"

I've had the same problem since I lost weight. I used to be so hot all the time, but I'm in Cfmama's boat, almost 300 lbs and freezing all the time. I know I'm eating enough carbs and fat so I think its just your body adjusting to losing weight. It doesn't help that we just had 3 inches of snow yesterday and its March......I wish spring would hurry up
Erin2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #6  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I am finding that I feel colder too; my DH says my hands are ice now, when before they used to be hot all the time. The same goes for my feet, so now I am wearing loose socks, whereas before I'd rather go bare (lifelong habit). My blood sugar levels are in balance, and I am eating a well-balanced daily diet, so ... it's probably the less calories overall, I would think, not less of one food specifically. (JMHO)
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #7  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Thank goodness I'm not the only one! I think we're losing some insulation along with our weight.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #8  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

I get plenty of fat in my diet, my husband gets plenty of fat in his diet, and we're both cold all the time. I don't think dietary content has anything to do with it; it's just a natural consequence of the process of weight loss itself and/or having less fat.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

4 years of maintenance, eat plenty of healthy fat - freezing ALL the time.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #10  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

I had the same thing going on when I was losing before I too was cold all the time and 'normally' I run hot and like the AC cranked! LOL
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #11  
FB

In my experience, running your body on a calorie deficit increases the sensation of coldness. Additionally, as you lose more and more of your 'insulation' you'll find yourself more sensitive to colder temperatures.

Last winter our heating bills were somewhat manageable for our old drafty Victorian. I could handle a cool house. This past winter the bill was running $700-800 per month! Ack! The hidden cost of losing weight - soooo worth it.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:06 AM   #12  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for all this input. I will ponder it all. I hadn't thought I'd really lost enough yet to feel a lack of insulation but I'll factor that thought in with the others too. And yes, I'd rather be cold and thin!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:37 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm cold most of the time now...someone told me that eventually your body adjusts, Glory's report says otherwise.

Cold and thin is better...and being cold actually burns a few more calories!
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:41 PM   #14  
Body Bugg user

S/C/G: 263/160/140

Height: 5'3.25

Dh and I are both losing and each of us is colder than before.

I am hoping it sort of stabilizes when we get to our goals but as someone else said we'd rather be cold and thin than warm and fat!
Gretchenpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm eating a higher percentage of fat now, than I have in years (because I'm limiting carbs, and low fat isn't a good idea, with low carb). And I haven't lost much weight yet either, only about 1/4 of what I want to. 64 lbs sounds like a lot, but I'm still only maybe a size smaller than when I started (and only on my top), as I've lost 5 inches in my bust, 3 in my waist, and absolutely nothing on my hips (that figures), and I'm freezing all of the time, now. Much more than when I was at this weight, on the way up to 394 lbs. I'm pretty sur of that, because I haven't worn sweaters in YEARS, maybe even decades, because I get overheated very easily. I've bought, made, and worn more sweaters, sweatsuits, afghans, hats and socks (even to wear to bed). I also used the electric blanket most of this winter, when usually my comforter was always enough. Even if I did use the electric blanket last year, it was usually to warm the bed, before I got in and I'd turn it off when I crawled in. I've had the darned thing running most of the night for much of this winter (if I could find a way to rig up an electric sweat suit, I'd wear that out).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote