Hunger vs. Digestion

• Do you now, or have you ever had this problem:

After I eat, I feel hungry. Except that over time, I have learned that I am not actually hungry, I am digesting my food. The problem is that they feel EXACTLY the same.

This started when I had to take prednisone for two years, and my appetite went out of control (and of course, I gained weight). I have never felt quite normal since then.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how do you deal with it?
  • I don't have that problem but I feel really bad for you that you do! That would bite! At least you know what it is though and can adjust accordingly.
  • Quote: I don't have that problem but I feel really bad for you that you do! That would bite! At least you know what it is though and can adjust accordingly.
    Wow, I am looking at your stats and you have had great success thus far. Congratulations!
  • YES! You have described one of my issues exactly.

I notice it after lunch in particular. I always have a fairly substantial lunch -- an enormous salad, always with some form of protein added (beans & nuts, tuna, chicken, tofu), and often with a cup of a clear vegetable soup on the side. I finish eating at about 12:30. Around 2:30, I've been feeling what seems like hunger pains. But they're not. They really can't be. When I feel real hunger around 4 PM, I know it's the real thing.

Same thing sometimes after dinner. Just before I go to bed, there's a sensation in my stomach. It makes me fret. I can't stand going to bed hungry. I also hate waking up in the middle of the night feeling hungry. These are both unbearable situations for me & I do anything to avoid them.

The only way I know to tell the two sensations in my stomach apart is to wait. The digestive feelings go away after a while. The hunger doesn't -- it escalates. Also I start feeling other symptoms that I associate with a slight drop in blood sugar.
  • I have the same problem as well. I try to eat 6 times a day. 3 small meals and 3 healthy snacks. But regardless of what I eat i start to feel that hunger pain within the hour. I never thought it was digestion tho I just always figured it was because my tummy is used to stuffing itself non stop and it would eventualy adjust to normal amounts of food. Maybe I was wrong. Good to know.
  • It is good to know that I am not alone. It really is the strangest thing.

saef - I know what you mean about waking up in the middle of night feeling hungry. It makes it hard for me to get back to sleep, and I have to struggle not to go eat something although if I do, it is usually an apple. Don't know if that is the best thing or not. Probably not because of the sugar.
  • Hello- After reading this post I was more conscious of my body during the day and the same thing happens to me. It was pretty inspiring to be able to stop and rationalize what was happening. I also have discovered that some of the time when I think I am hungry, I am actually thirsty.
  • I read somewhere that often people are actually thirsty when they think they are hungry so this is great that you figured that out yourself. I know it is true for me.
  • Quote: I read somewhere that often people are actually thirsty when they think they are hungry so this is great that you figured that out yourself. I know it is true for me.
    I will second that! The best thing to do if you feel hungry but ate not long ago....have a glass of water and wait 10 min. Are you still hungry?
  • If you have pain or discomfort in your upper abdomen an hour after eating, it could be a sign of gallbladder trouble. Also, having pain during the night like this could also be gallbladder.

If it's persistent, then you might ask your doctor.

Jay
  • Quote: Wow, I am looking at your stats and you have had great success thus far. Congratulations!
    Thank you very much!!!
  • hmmm I never thought about it before. but I wonder if I could have the same problem..
  • I have a similar issue - I think maybe it is one of the contributing factors to my binging? Like, I know I just ate a reasonable amount but I feel hungry anyway.

Right now I am trying to ignore it at first for a certain amount of time (10 minutes, until the dishes are washed, or whatever) and if I still feel bothered I eat raw veggies or fruit. I have mixed success, so I am definitely open to more suggestions.

I have trouble getting in enough water too, so I will try to increase that next.

My son wanted my words to be red he's helping me post.