Old 02-24-2009, 10:55 AM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLabLover View Post
I love this thread. I notice that I suck in my stomach (out of habit) if I have to squeeze through an area (i.e. between people, etc) and I think I am too big to fit through. I still walk into a bathroom stall sideways.

And do you know what I can't stop doing - I find that I PURPOSELY squeeze myself through small areas. We have this one spot at work that is so tight to get through. I'm telling you I make sure to "use" that spot at least 5X a day. Crazy, I know. But I get the biggest kick out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
Rockinrobin and ChocLabLover,

You have both done so well! How long did it take you to lose your weight?
Thank you. Thank you. I lost the first 154 lbs in 10 months. 10 VERY DETERMINED, on-plan months. When I decided (finally) to lose the weight, I just wanted it off and really, really, REALLY stuck with my plan. Not veering off more then a handful of days and looking back, those days were really nothing with nothing. I stayed that way for about 2 months and decided to lose another 11 lbs the following month.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #17  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Rrobin, that's astounding, over 15lbs a month. Do you have a thread on here somewhere telling us how you did it?
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #18  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Do you have a thread on here somewhere telling us how you did it?
You have to realize that I started out at a VERY high BMI, being only 5 feet tall and weighing 287 lbs, so the weight was going to come off faster for me then lots of other folks. And like I said, I was REALLY, REALLY determined and therefore extremely consistient. So how I did it in the time that I did was by sticking with my plan - through holidays, birthdays, weekends, stress and what not. Consistiency, consistiency, consistiency. That is without a doubt the key to getting the weight off in a timely fashion. It's not for everyone, but it's what I chose.

I copied and pasted my plan here, done it dozens of times, and then I left a link to another post of mine over at the mini-goal forum.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103330

I knew the only way this weight loss thing would *work*, permanently that is, would be if I could find something that I could stick with LONGTERM, forever in fact, because not only do I want to lose the weight, but I want to keep it off - forever. It simply won't *work* if you dont' stick with it. Consistiency, consistiency, consistiency. STICKING with it is of course the key. Lifestyle change. Creating a new normal. No going back to the old ways. Permanent, sustainable lifetime changes.

So of course finding something that I could stick with was essential.

Things I needed/still need to be on my plan:

- I could never, ever be hungry. Just not for me. I despise that feeling and need to AVOID it all costs. It would only set me up for failure.
- I need LOTS of food, volume that is.
- I love food, always will and need to get enjoyment from it. So eating delicious, very tasty, satisfying foods was a MUST.
- I am terrible with portion control. I have no boundaries. My intuitive eating button is totally broken or just missing completely. So I need to fake it. I need something that forces me to set limits.
- I want not only to be thin at this point, I want to be healthy. Strong bones & muscles, good vision, healthy hair and nails, low cholesterol, normal sugar levels, high vitamin count, lower my risk of cancers.

So therefore, let's see if I can do this with one breath - I eat frequently, every 2 hours or so, choosing low calorie/high volume items (veggies), lots of protein and fiber (to keep me full longer), I count calories (forced portion control/accountability), I eat foods with high nutritional values, I've found foods that I LOVE, not *diet* foods per se, food that any one and every one can eat.

I also set myself up for success. By ridding my home of the junk (very crucial in the beginning, and still is). I got rid of the sugar, the rice, pasta, bread, cookies, cakes, ice cream, etc... Sure I love the stuff, but I have no control with it. I figured I can not have it both ways. I simply can not have those foods in my life (very strict with it especially in the beginning, cold turkey in fact) and be that healthy, fit person I so longed to be. I have no control over them and realized I was just better off without them.

I keep my home fully stocked with tons and tons of veggies. I discovered fabulous ways to prepare them and now enjoy them more then the other garbage I was eating prior. Amazing how ones tastes change when you stop feeding it junk. Fruits and low fat proteins are my other main foods. I cook fabulous meals that my whole family enjoys. So finding yummy recipes that you like is essential. No reason to go off plan, when on plan is so good.

I also prepare ahead, as it is the ONLY way to succeed, IMO. Eating healthy does not happen by chance in our society. Therefore it MUST, MUST be planned out in advance. I know what I'm having for my meals and snacks days in advance. I pack food with me, taking it with me wherever I go, leaving nothing to chance. It's just THAT important.

I drink lots of water. It's something to do with my mouth, a delaying tactic and it keeps my tummy full.

And of course, there is the calorie counting. Would be no where without it. No where.. Since I don't know how to set limits for myself, counting calories is my answer. Counting and tracking my calories keeps me honest and keeps my food in check. Period.

Exercise has now become part of my life and is a big part of "my plan". I started out slowly and built up. Cardio & strength training. I make sure there is some kind of daily movement going on, 7 days a week.

Probably the biggest part of my plan though, was making a commitment. Deciding once and for all that I was going to "do this". I told myself enough is enough. I realized, once and for all that I didn't have to be fat if I didn't want to be. That it was something that I did indeed have total and complete control over. No reason on earth for me to waste another second of my life being miserable, worrying about my health and not living up to my full potential. Not being the very best ME that I could be. So I made a commitment - to good eating and good health.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #19  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Thank you so much for posting all that. I have great admiration for your determination, I'm taking it as inspiration for my next month.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #20  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailidh View Post
Thank you so much for posting all that. I have great admiration for your determination, I'm taking it as inspiration for my next month.
Oh, you're very, very welcome. I am touched that you think I am inspirational. Thank you for saying so.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #21  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

robin, amazing!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #22  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I have found that I have more umph in my step, that it doesnt hurt my knees to go up stairs and the other day I sprinted through the hospital hallway (I was visiting my sister). Ive only lost a little so far, but what a difference it has made. I actually think I may be a smidge bit happier, I think it is becase my eating health has just made me feel better. Cant wait to welcome more positive changes to come.......
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #23  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

I still turn sideways and tiptoe through turnstiles. It's completely out of habit because I know I can walk straight through now.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #24  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLabLover View Post
I love this thread. I notice that I suck in my stomach (out of habit) if I have to squeeze through an area (i.e. between people, etc) and I think I am too big to fit through. I still walk into a bathroom stall sideways.
lol I know what you mean....I do this a lot and last time my husband was like "umm sweetie why are you walking sideways? you have plenty of room."

TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:50 AM   #25  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drina View Post
I still turn sideways and tiptoe through turnstiles. It's completely out of habit because I know I can walk straight through now.
Lol, I know for a fact that I would still be doing this, too, except that I very purposefully make myself approach smaller spaces straight-on now. Not because I'm confident that I'll fit; it's more like I'm testing it out to see if I can squeeze through without having to turn sideways. It's really weird when I see a space that looks too small, but then I walk through with no trouble, not even brushing up against anything. But I guess that's quite common for us! Heh.
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:58 AM   #26  
3 + years maintaining

Meredith, I do the *testing* thing too! I love challenging myself to see if I could squeeze through this and that. I'll think, there's no way I can possibly squeeze through there and then sure enough, I do! Of course there were other options for me to pass somewhere else, but nope, I *choose* the one where I think I can't. Crazy, I tell ya. But fun!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 254/242/199first

Height: 5'6"

LOL the first time I lost 100 lbs (10 yrs ago) I was at a park and decided to do a handspring cuz even at my heaviest I could.....well at 135lbs instead of 230+ I almost did 2 full ones with the momentum I had going! Whew!
lonegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #28  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

^ OMG, that reminds me; I need to learn how to do a cartwheel, STAT! I have been obese my whole life, and have never been able to do a cartwheel... Any time I tried, I'd always fall very heavily on my butt (ouch!).

The last time I even attempted to do a cartwheel was once when I was babysitting over this past summer, cuz the kid was trying to teach himself, and he insisted that I try, too! Heh. Of course I failed miserably... But as soon as the weather gets warm... I'm heading outside to do cartwheels on the beach or something! LOL!
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #29  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

wow! I couldn't even do cartwheels as a kid! I would love to do them now! I would probably have to have someone teach me.
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:36 AM   #30  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Getting out of bed I almost catapult myself off now!!! And there is a space between my highchair and center island in my kitchen that I can do fit inbetween... shocked me the first time I could!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote