Old 02-16-2009, 03:08 AM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Default And so it begins.....

For the first 10-14 days that I was losing 'this time', I didn't have any bathroom scales. So I was cheerfully calorie counting, logging my food into DietPower and guesstimating both my weight and the amount I was losing per day, so that the graph looked ok.

I was about right on the weight, guess I should be, all the experience I've got!

However today - doom doom doom! - I weigh the same as yesterday. Yes, I know that's ok but I felt a sinking heart on 2 counts: 1, that I hadn't miraculously lost 50lbs over night; and 2, here it begins, the obsession with the scales. My day will be good or bad depending on those numbers.
It's coming up Lent soon, I think I'll give up the scales for Lent!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #2  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

I'm sure you have heard all the stuff about wieight fluctuating from day to day. Maybe giving up the scales for a time is a good idea.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Just relax. Weight loss isn't linear, and if you weigh yourself every day, you must prepare yourself for the day that scale goes *up* for no reason whatsoever.

If you can't handle the fluctuations, I would suggest not weighing every day. I am used to it by now, so the ups and downs don't bother me most days.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 308/284/160

Height: 5'5"

I cannot weigh myself daily. I was scale obsessed, and all it did was discourage me.

I weigh every Monday, first thing in the morning.
lindalou0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

ui'm like that so i try to NOT get on them every day.

i give myself every couple of days and remind myself that it doesn't count until monday! ha ha
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #6  
Happy Plodder

thanks for the comments, guys. Like the one about it only counts on Mondays.

I got weighed today and the scale's moved again, woohoo. I've now sworn not to get back on until Next Tuesday!
Old 02-17-2009, 10:48 AM   #7  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I don't know how people can weigh daily, or multiple times a day. I can't have that mess with my head LOL. I'm a Friday morning, rain or shine. One of the many many pitfalls of weighing -- if you don't like every day, you can some times avoid it too much,like for 10 years hahahaha. So I'm faithful to the every Friday morning rule. If i'm up, i know I can do some extra exercise over the weekend. If i'm down, that (usually) motivates me to keep going, and not overindulge on the weekends...

hmmm... that being said... i had a Wendy's hamburger yesterday!!! No fries, just 1/2 a baked potato and a diet coke, and man it was good LOL
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #8  

Height: 5'6

Hey this is all about will power! Will your self to stick to ONLY weighing in once a week! Make it a habit My hubby and I Only weigh in on wen. at 12 after breakfast has gone and before lunch. so tummy is empty (or at least mostly) Also pee! Pee before you step on the scale it makes a huge diff! I weighed my self before peeing and was 300.2 I wanted to cry sooo close to twotervile! and my friend said GO PEE! (we go to her house to weigh) so I did and I went down to 299.6! I lost .6lbs! but the once a week weigh in give us something to stay motivated its like weighting for Xmas to see what your going to get this week!
Rebecca85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

i'm seriously thinking of hiding the scales. or getting my SO to do it so i can't weigh during the week.

seriously, set a day and try to stick to it.

god, if only i followed my own advice.
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

one more thing to keep in mind, if you kick the scale JUST right you will break not only your baby toe but the next one it...and the stupid scale does not even flintch!
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #11  

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflame View Post
one more thing to keep in mind, if you kick the scale JUST right you will break not only your baby toe but the next one it...and the stupid scale does not even flintch!
lol!!!
Rebecca85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I am a daily...or more frequent weigher but only "count" the first Monday am weight. (nude and after peeing.)

Between "official" weighins I focus on how happy I am to see the number on the scale, and to remember it wasn't that long ago it was much higher. I find that the first sign that I am getting into trouble is a reluctance to get on the scale.

I've learned a lot about how my body retains water and reacts to different foods and eating patterns. (Chinese is a killer for me, at least for a day or two, then it miraculously disappears.)

It isn't the frequency of the weighins that is a problem, it is the reaction to them.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:07 PM   #13  
Happy Plodder

hm. I need to learn more about why and when my body retains fluid and reacts to different foods, patterns and even, occasionally exercise. never thought about it before that all I ever do is react to the number. thanks for that.

daren't kick my scales - they're made of glass! (but o the temptation)

definitely going to stick to Tuesdays.

Rebecca - well done on getting to Twoterville!!! woohoo you!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #14  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I weigh myself every morning...my official WI isn't until Saturday though. I don't however drive myself crazy if my weight fluctuates from day to day. So my advice is if it is driving you crazy then stop Hide it somewhere but don't kick it lol

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 02-17-2009 at 05:31 PM.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 275/245/140

Height: 63inches

I tell myself I will not weigh each day and then I do anyway! I am going to put my scale in a spot up high (since I am short) and hopefully it will be such a pain to get it down I will only weigh once a week! I bought the Biggest Loser scale that I read about on 3FC and LOVE it so it is hard not to use it all the time!
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote