Tahini---Yikes! Fat Grams not worth it...

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I was gonna buy some Tahini for the first time today, to add to some hummus. I looked at the label and it was 18 gms fat per 2 tsp!!!!!!!!! That's horrible! i was anxious to try it but forget it now.....too much fat. That was weird cause I looked it up online and it said it contained only 8 gms fat, not 18. Oh well.
  • Well, in it's defense tahini has healthy fat, with only 2 grams of saturated fat I believe. It's similar to any nut butter, glancing at my almond butter I see that there are 16 grams of fat, 1.5 saturated.

My diet isn't low fat, but I can see where this might not work if it's (low fat) your plan of attack. When my fat was too low I found I was hungry all of the time and lacked energy. Once I bumped it up and up and up - my energy levels and hunger quickly remedied themselves. I think fat is a necessary part of our diet.
  • I make hummus without Tahini. I use non fat plain yogurt instead. The best part is that its only 15 calories per tablespoon and is way lower in fat. And its delicious. I dont know how authentic it is, but I like it! Id share the recipe, but I dont have it here right now!
  • I just checked mine, and it is 23 grams per 2 tbsp. Yikes!
  • Well Ive been learning that a litle fat is ok....Im so used to doing low fat when I diet, but since this is now a lifestyle change, Im gonna eat a little more fat than I used to when dieting. And focus more on calories and carbs, since Im a diabetic.
    What do most of you guys on here eat daily, as far as fat grms go?
  • I make hummus without it all the time and it's still good.
    I usually make mine with garbanzos (of course) a bit of olive oil, lemon, garlic and those roasted red peppers in a jar.
  • Tahini, like peanut butter and almond butter, does have a lot of fat but a little goes a long way. It has about the same calories of any other nut butter out there. I rather omit the olive oil in hummus than omit the tahini because I like the flavor of tahini. (2tbsp of olive oil = 239 calories, 2 tbsp of tahini = 178).

I follow a generally low fat diet but nuts, nut butters, etc are part of that diet.
  • Thanks for the info. I love hummus.
  • I get between 70-80 fat grams a day. But that's because 1 I don't eat a lot of carbs so i make up for it in protein and fat and 2 I am not losing anymore. Don't go too low in your fats though.
  • when I make hummus I leave it out, I do use some olive oil, but not alot of that either! I use alot of lemon juice and roasted garlic---tons of it, the moisture from roasted red peppers can be enough slickness for the texture too
  • I love tahini!! Once in a while, it's worth every fat gram.
  • Quote: when I make hummus I leave it out, I do use some olive oil, but not alot of that either! I use alot of lemon juice and roasted garlic---tons of it, the moisture from roasted red peppers can be enough slickness for the texture too

sounds like MY recipe....

tahini is so expensive and I hated spending the money on something I use so little of.

I use so much of the roasted pepper (VERY good for you) that you don't even miss it.
  • Quote: I was gonna buy some Tahini for the first time today, to add to some hummus. I looked at the label and it was 18 gms fat per 2 tsp!!!!!!!!! That's horrible! i was anxious to try it but forget it now.....too much fat. That was weird cause I looked it up online and it said it contained only 8 gms fat, not 18. Oh well.
    I think you are confusing tsp and tbsps.

Also, I think you probably looked online and saw the data for 1 tbsp, not 2.

In any event, it's about the same as peanut butter. It's just another nut/seed butter.
  • sometimes I make a white bean hummus with cannelini beans....for that I use a bit of olive oil, garlic, chopped cilantro and lemon.
  • Healthy fats are good and I actually struggle to eat enough everyday. I would definitely eat 2 tbs of tahini (or half an avocado or a drizzle of olive oil, etc).