Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers

• Yum -

I am sure some of you have tried them, but I had the Beef Merlot and it was delicious. 240 calories and there's alot in the bowl. It would be enough for a dinner, let alone lunch. This one has the beef, sauce, red potatoes, baby carrots and green beans. They steam up in the microwave and then you mix it with the sauce/gravy.

Some other stats:

Total Fat 8g
    Sodium 600 mg (yeah, thats a bit high)
    Potassium 1010mg (29% dv)
    Fiber 5g
    Protein 17g

Try it if you haven't yet. You can't have 6 nuggets at Burger King for 240 calories.

Angie
  • I agree yummo! I am in love with them. I get the Grilled Chicken Marinara haven't tried the others yet. I usually like the healthy choice and other little dinners like that but this was way better then I would have even guessed. It tasted like real food and was just delicious. I just love the container it came in too lol

I tried to copy it myself but it didn't turn out anywhere as good lol but cheaper I guess lol. I only get like 1 every week or two though.
  • So funny! I am eating one of these right now. It's the Sweet & Spicy Orange Chicken. It's okay. I've had better.

The Beef Merlot sounds yummy tho! I usually stock up the frozen dinners/lunches whenever they are on sale. I have been SUPER surprised at how tasty some of them are.

The Lean Cuisine Paninis are yummy too.

Will be trying more of the Steamers for sure!
  • I have not tried the panini's yet, but I have heard they are good. I will try one. I agree the frozen meals might not be the best choice, but I can settle for taking a "not the best choice" over making the worst choice for lunch.

Try the beef merlot, I bet you'll be surprised.

Angie
  • Oh I am addicted to those Paninis lol. They are so so good. My husband teases me about how much I seriously love them lol.

I just had a lean pocket garlic chicken white pizza that was super yummy too.
  • Do the steamers have that weird "shelf stable food" aftertaste? Kinda like metal in your mouth? If it's anything like the other shelf stable things out there, no thanks....
  • The commissary is not the best with frozen foods here. Sometimes they get a little defrosted and then they are refrozen so they look a little funky. I have been trying to make my own little meals like this for lunch. In Korea they sell microwave bowls of rice (lots of different mixtures too...some with beans and some with even barley) that you nuke for 2 to 3 minutes...I might try roasting my veggies and then putting them togther.....anyone know how well roasted veggies will be after freezing?
  • Like many people, I like the way these taste. I always feel a little guilty though about all the plastic I am putting in a landfill every time I eat one