Need a replacement for your standard 'scooping tool'

• Ok, let's face it......do you really like the taste of tortilla chips? Or are they simply a scooping tool? For me they are a tool, as any chip is for me.

I found a great replacement that is SUPER low fat. Won Ton wrappers! I get mine in the produce department, and the calorie count varies a little, the ones I got were 140 cals for 8 wrappers, which make 16 chips! and they only have HALF a gram of fat in those 8 wrappers.

Cut your wrapper in half diagonally, and bake. The first batch I did not season, the second I added some sea salt and cumin and red pepper. They dont take long till they are lightly golden, dont over bake.

I made a great dip with deli made pico degallo, cooked shrimp and added some cumin, garlic powder, and hot sauce......fantastic! Today I am smashing an avacado and mixing in my left over dip from last night, so it is like a chunky guac, with some shrimp in it! And I have NO guilt with these chips with a half gram of fat!
  • awesome idea! I have some wrappers, bf makes home made egg rolls, I will give this a shot.
  • Tortilla chips are a 'transport' food, there are many transport foods

I usually use veggies for transport foods or other alternatives. I found soy crisps to be a pretty good and healthy transport food.
  • I also use veggies as "scoopers".

Every now and then though I will make my own pita chips. Really good and you get a lot of them from one pita.

I cut a whole wheat pita in half and then half again and then in half again. I am then left with double wedges which I split in half to make them a single layer. I lay them out on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle lots of spices on them, spray them up with the cooking spray and bake at 400 for about 10 minutes or till they're crisp. REALLY GOOD. I serve them to guests too. They're a big hit every tiime.
  • I use carrot sticks. Just my personal favorite, but I've also started using bok choy (celery would work too)
  • Great ideas everyone.
  • Thats a good idea, but I have to watch carbs so that wont work for me. I sure wish I could find something besides celery, which is the only raw vegetable I like to dip stuff in. I want to try hummus, and for some reason celery doesnt sound so good for that.
  • celery and hummus is very good

Soy crisps should be low carb.

I eat celery, carrots, bell pepper strips, sliced radishes, broccoli, cauliflower and such with hummus. Just dip it in and munch.
  • Oh I love hummus and celery. And peppers too, yellow and red especially
  • mmm... red peppers and hummus are one of my favorite snacks. So good!
  • I LIKE tortilla chips....esp homemade ones.
  • I had hummus for the first time when we were out to dinner last week. A place we went had it on the appetizer menu for happy hour and they served it with Pita chips, carrot sticks and celery. YUMMY - LOVED IT!!

I liked that they had that on the menu - I was able to find an healthy alternative to the nachos and chicken wings.

Angie
  • That sounds really good! I might have to try it
  • I like my hummus with carrots or celery, also bell pepper. But jicama - not so much. The sweetness doesn't go with the hummus.
  • I wish chips were just scooping tools for me, but I love them for what they are.