Old 02-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #31  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazonas View Post
i think i'm the one odd man out here! i've never even considered saying 'i don't eat that' because truth is I EAT EVERYTHING! i'm proud to say 'i don't crave that' or 'i don't need that to feel good' or EVEN 'i don't WANT that' but wow, to say i don't eat that just sounds insane for me personally. i'll never give up anything i love but i HAVE learned how to not rely on it.

not trying to piss anybody off! haha
Well, the year that I was losing, and I had a LOT of weight to lose, the only way that I was going to do it was to have definite NO's. I mean if my goal was to lose weight, then why in the world would I eat "those" foods? They certainly wouldn't get me to my goal. They certainly wouldn'tbe of any HELP me to get there. Or make me that slender, trim, fit and HEALTHY person I so longed to be.

When I said to myself that "I just don't do that anymore", I was also speaking about the frequency and the volume of the foods that I was eating. I knew that down the road, evenutally, I could add in this and that, but for the time being, my job, my MISSION was to lose weight. So yup, some foods were off limits - temporarily. But that's okay. I LIKED being that kind of person. I LONGED to be that kind of person. Who eats "those" foods on rare occasions. Once in a while. Not on an every day basis or even once a week. Another thing I told myself, "there will always, ALWAYS be good food around, I can have it another time. But now, RIGHT now I need to focus on my health and get this weight OFF". And once I made the decision to get it off, it couldn't be soon enough. So yup, "I just don't do that anymore". So, I didn't.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #32  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Like Rodeo Girl...I've not cut anything out of my diet completely but I have reduced my frequency of eating out. I used to eat at McDonald's 3-4X a week. It was always burger, fries and a large diet. LOL Now, I eat there about 2X a month and order a single snack wrap with grilled chicken and a small diet. If I am with my son or bf, I will have 10 fries if they feel like sharing.

I'm interested in the whole "clean" eating but haven't gotten there yet. I rely a lot on convenience foods to stay OP: string cheese, 100 calorie granola bars, yogurt, etc...so switching to all non-processed or less processed will take some time.

I can say, i am the kind of person that says, "I don't eat that kind of food very often".

Last edited by Michelle98272; 02-05-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/170

Height: 5 4"

6 weeks ago i made a list of affirmations and goal perspectives. this idea was totally the top of the list. i just wanted to be proud of my health choices, even if i was a bit snobby about it.
katiecron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #34  
started 1/28/08

Congrats on quitting smoking from one former smoker to another!

I really think getting to the point where you just don't eat stuff like that is very similar to getting to the point where you just don't smoke - it takes a long time, but eventually you simply do not have the desire to do it again despite vivid memories of having enjoyed it very much in the past.

Last edited by Merksie; 02-05-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Merksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #35  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle98272 View Post

I'm interested in the whole "clean" eating but haven't gotten there yet. I rely a lot on convenience foods to stay OP: string cheese, 100 calorie granola bars, yogurt, etc...so switching to all non-processed or less processed will take some time.

I can say, i am the kind of person that says, "I don't eat that kind of food very often".
Michelle, your food choices will evolve. Mine surely did. And they keep on doing so. Wanting to make every precious calorie count is basically what did it for me. Not that I "refuse to eat those foods". I'm not satisfied with the 100 calorie packs. They don't fill me up and they leave me clamoring for MORE 100 calorie packs. So, I had to find something BETTER (more gratifying & more staying power) to do with my 100 calories. So, I tried an apple. And I sliced it, in rounds instead of wedges. Like chips. And I sprinkled on some cinnamon. Yumm. Takes much longer to eat then those 100 cal packs. Which is more satisfying right away. AND it's got staying power - since it's got fiber in it. Oh and it has other nutrients in it as well. And water.

But I do like what you said, "I don't eat that kind of food very often." Because some times I DO eat "those" foods. Just not very often . Oh and "those foods" are different for everyone. If I never ate fast food again, I'd be perfectly fine with that. If I never ate ice cream or cheesecake again - not so much.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 02-05-2009 at 08:32 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #36  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

robin you're totally right! i think my thing was that i didn't limit anything and then once i got to a certain point i just didn't WANT it anymore. so even to this day- if i want a double quarter pounder with chees i'll have it! but even just thinking about it grosses me out. haha now i PREFER the healthy options out there so it's REALLY not that tough of a choice...

don't get me wrong though... i still have triggers! but i think i idealize that food and THINKING about eating it is way more appealing than actually EATING it. but put me in a locked room with a family size bag of plain lays, a jar of ranch dip, and a chocolate cake and we might have some problems....
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #37  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Got to the supermarket for the first time in a while today - roads still quite icy but the dogs needed Their food! (For me, if all else fails, I make up some hot and sour style soup (80 cals) and throw some bread mix in the breadmaker and I'm ok for days).

Anyhoo, picked up the dog food and some veggies for me. Up and down the aisles. Looked at some of the yummy processed chicken meals. 'I don't eat that kind of stuff'. Looked at the wonderfully fat pork joint that would have roasted up a treat. 'I don't eat that kind of stuff'. Looked at the delicious German chocolate. 'I don't eat that kind of stuff'.

Today it worked, thankyou for the tip.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:00 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 270/ 248/ 165

Height: 5' 11"

I had an idea today while driving past a Mickie Dee's. I am going to start saying "I don't eat things like that."
I know in my heart that I would love a double quarter pounder w/ cheese, super sized fry, and an extra large chocolate milkshake (& a diet coke to wash it down).
But from this day on if asked, or even if it's mentioned, I will say "I don't eat things like that."
Mind over matter.
Thanks for making this post I think this could help me.
zerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:30 AM   #39  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Count me in as someone who "doesn't eat that kind of stuff.. often." If I make things off limits, it just makes me want them more.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:26 AM   #40  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

I don't have any forbidden foods but there are things I don't eat now and seldom did in the past simply because I just don't like the way they taste or how they make me feel afterwards. I don't like greasy food so I don't eat fast food hamburgers. I like Chinese food but the msg the restaurants put in makes me feel bloated and queasy the next day. If I want Chinese I make stir-fry at home. I do eat pizza about once a month but I blot the h**l out of it with paper towels beforehand (if it still seems greasy I don't eat it.)

At work events like potlucks and holiday parties I'm known as the picky eater who comes in, looks at the food and then sits down with a can of diet coke. People have learned not to pressure me to eat because I just won't.
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 307/see ticker/197

Height: 5'9

About 2 mos ago my hubbie and I were driving past this greasy spoon dive (you know...the kind that always has the BEST burgers and fries!! LOL) that advertised a great lunch special. My husband who has comitted to cutting back but isn't as serious about it as I am ooooh's and ahhhh's over the deal (like the "oh what I wouldn't give for that lunch!!" sort of way) and I said "I don't eat that stuff anymore". I said it and I meant it. It really didn't appeal to me and I think that's because of the progress I had made and the consequences food like that has on my weight, my health and my immediate reactions to it.

What I love about making choices like this is that not only is it changing my life but my kids too! Eating at McDonald's wasn't that much of a treat for them and now it is! I mean kids like McD's I get that...but once a month is plenty. When we go I will have a chicken snack wrap with no sauce or cheese and a diet coke and than have a salad at home later. I still get to sit with them and enjoy our time together...but basically...I still "don't eat that way anymore".
kiki100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #42  
started 1/28/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki100 View Post
. . . and I said "I don't eat that stuff anymore". I said it and I meant it. It really didn't appeal to me and I think that's because of the progress I had made and the consequences food like that has on my weight, my health and my immediate reactions to it.

What I love about making choices like this is that not only is it changing my life but my kids too!
You said it so well! That's exactly the way I feel about most foods that don't fit my personal definition of "eating clean" . . . they genuinely don't appeal to me at this point. Unfortunately, too-large quantities of foods that do fit my definition still do appeal to me

And congratulations for setting such a great example for your kids.
Merksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #43  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpnodat View Post
"I just don't eat that kind of Stuff!"
I just realized that this is exactly the way I quit smoking 3 1/2 years ago. Anytime I had a craving, I told myself "You're not a smoker anymore." Hmmmm....I never thought of applying this to the weight loss.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #44  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

What RockinRobin said really resonated with me. I find myself guarding my calories jealously and wanting to get the most out of them. So for me a lot of junk food isn't enough bulk and/or nutrition for the caloric price tag. That's a big reason why I don't find junk food as appealing anymore. Not enough bang for my buck, so to speak.

Last edited by rodeogirl; 02-07-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typo
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #45  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

hmmmm maybe it will happen, maybe it won't. I've lost 75 lbs. but i still want and LOVE a mcdonald's cheeseburger. Sure, it gives me stomach cramps now but man, i've had 2 in the last year and they were goooooooooood LOL I can't say "i don't eat that stuff" to something I have loved/know I could love again in a heartbeat. It's only easy to wave my hand dismissively about crap i'd never eat anywayz LOL
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote