The need to CRUNCH

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi all, Need some advice. I really like to CHEW my food. Crunching things is very satisfying to me. Anyway, I am looking for some healthy crunchy snacks. That type of food seems to get me past my cravings. I eat carrots with hummus and love the 100 calorie bags of popcorn along with soy chips. But I have been crunching these like crazy for the last 6 months and am now getting bored with it. I need some good ideas before the next craving hits. Thanks.
  • I'm also a chewer. I like carrots dipped in doritos salsa - since both are low cal. You could even mix some LF natural yohurt in with that and it tastes delish.
  • Kashi Honey Almond Flax cereal is SO crunchy that by the time I finish a 1/2 cup with my yogurt in the morning, my jaw actually hurts.
  • When I get the urge to *crunch* I eat celery dipped in low fat italian dressing or sweet/snap peas just plain. Yummy and sweet and satisfies the need to crunch.
    I also munch on triscuts with slices of lowfat cheese slices. Low fat pretzels are a favorite also. Hope this helps. I look forward to reading everyone else's ideas! I need to change my snacks up a bit also
  • wasa bread with:
    laughing cow wedge
    cheese melted and salsa
    peanut butter
    jam
    hummus...

JUST ABOUT ANYTHING!

I just finished two with two LC wedges. Yum!
  • ezekiel cereal is also REALLY crunchy. mixed with some yogurt, by the time your done you dont want to chew for along time.
  • Any raw veggie is great for satisfying the need to "crunch." Carrots, celery, pepper strips (all colors), cucumbers, asparagus, green beans, radishes, and turnips are all yummy raw. Hummus, muhummara (another type of Middle Eastern dip), low cal dressings, and salsa are all good to dip in.

I also like Akmak crackers or an apple smeared with peanut butter. Crunchy pickles are always satisfying for me too.
  • Those are all great ideas ... here are a few more:

* Wasabi peas
    * Soy nuts
    * Corn nuts
  • Almonds are really awesome and have great nutritional value. I am also a HUGE fan of ants on a log(celery with peanut butter and raisins), which was my absolute fav when I was little
  • That laughing cow cheese wedges are sooo good! There good on anything!
  • Spoon sized shredded wheat
    air popped popcorn
    apples
  • I just made this recipe tonight:
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/RCP00212...ean-Salad.html

Very crunchy.
  • Granola bars or granola in yogurt -- mmmm good.

I also like the new thin Triscuits for a bit of crunch or a small bag of natural popcorn.

EDIT: OH and Fuji apples of course! One of my daily staples and nice and crunchy.
  • Neanie bean,

I can SO relate. This is also my downfall. Since I've been doing Superfoods, (more or less ) I've been having to eat more nuts and have found that adding a few nuts to things to be highly satisfying flavor/texture wise. And you don't really need to add much to get that crunchy flavor and still stay within calorie limits. Like today, I had a salad consisting of tuna, some cooked rice, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, orange bell pepper, chili garlic sauce/fat free ranch dressing. On top I added 6 walnut halves broken up. Though this doesn't seem like much, with all the rest it really made it crunchy and savory. Yay for nuts!
  • Love this recipe! Thanks!