3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Goal setting tips (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/161839-goal-setting-tips.html)

slimmingsi 01-17-2009 02:22 PM

Goal setting tips

ok so we all make goals and i'm pretty sure at some point we've all failed to meet one or two of them (in my case more)

so i've come up with a new stratagey for goal setting and it goes like this.

1. select the time frame. for me easter.
2. select a range of goals to achieve in this time period.not one goal but say 4-6.
3. make the goals of varying difficultly. so you have one that is very easy to achieve then they get steadily more difficult. the hardest goal should be hard to achieve but still achievable.

so my time frame is easter so around 3 months.

the goas from easiest to hardest
1. make it to the gym 3 times a week on average.
2. get out and walk in the fresh air once a week.
3. drink 9 glasses of water a day
4. maintain my calories count every day
5. lose 30lbs.

ok so there we have them, making to the gym is easy get in the car and drive its about effort. right up to losing 30lbs in 12 weeks is a big ask but not unachievable as i'm starting at over 300lbs.

by setting the multiple goals i've given myself a safety net. normally if i set a goal and something goes wrong and i realise i wont make it i give up and that usually ques falling off the wagon. but by setting multiple ones if one become unobtainable i.e if after 9 weeks i've only lost 10lbs then i wont make 20 in the next 3 but i still have the other goals to try and achieve so all is not lost

if you shoot for the stars at least you'll hit the moon.

djay 01-17-2009 02:43 PM

I think if you can achieve at least 2 of the first 3 you should have a good shot at the ulimate...30 lbs.

Good Luck!

gumboot 01-17-2009 04:40 PM

What a good idea. I have just been setting goals of pounds lost. I am going to follow your lead and set other goals in the same time period. Fantabulous! Thank you!!! Good luck to you, I'm sure with your determination that you will have no trouble reaching the 30lbs.

slimmingsi 01-19-2009 05:17 AM

ok so it has began. been to the gym was up at 0600 hour of cardio then 45mins relaxing in sauna and spa. looking to do an hour of cardio every trip this week then next week will push for 75mins.

water is fine. had a very lazy day yesterday and ate loads of pizza and burgers and it felt good! very naughty but good and i still came 93 cals under my exertions mind you i did go up and down the stairs a few times to get the steps up a little.

today its back to normal. i think sundays will be my day off. i was going to go for a walk in the fresh air but the weather put an end to that.

Beverlyjoy 01-19-2009 06:07 AM

I think your goal setting strategy is wonderful. It's a lifetime of living with food - it's good to set goals with that in mind.

Lately, these are my goals:
I will eat delicious healthy foods.
I will take the time to really taste my food.
I will eat when I feel some form of hunger. - trying to avoid emotional hunger.
I will eat at the kitchen table and taste my food.
I will drink lots of water.
I will leave something on my plate.
I will move, stretch, and strengthen my body.
I will visualize myself the way I want to look.
I will try to do the best I can and I will forgive myself when I can't follow all of these goals every day.
I will do meditation
I want to see the scale number go down to my next mini goal (five pound increments)

slimmingsi 01-19-2009 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beverlyjoy (Post 2560719)
I will eat when I feel some form of hunger. - trying to avoid emotional hunger.
I will drink lots of water.

interesting combo make sure before you eat you have a glass of water then wait 30 mins to see if you still hungry. the majority of the time hunger is the first sympton of dehydration so you can often mistake needing a drink for needing food.

Beverlyjoy 01-19-2009 07:03 AM

You are so right, slimingsi. Often it's water I need, not food. Ya know...I think the part of me that tells me when I am full or hungry is 'broken'. I just don't ever really feel the sensations. I am trying to lately.

djay 01-19-2009 07:43 AM

I have a problem with that full switch also. Slowing down and chewwing more does help...but I don't always WANT to do that.
Sometimes, i still want to feel that stuffed and sleepy feeling. Especially in the winter months...Maybe a hibrination thing? I don't understand why not being hungry just isn't enough...

Kae 01-19-2009 09:49 AM

Those are good goals and fully attainable.

As for the water thing, I struggle to get it in so that will be a huge goal for me.

LesliesMom 01-19-2009 10:06 AM

I have found that I actually really dislike feeling "full". I have learned to feel satisfied when I have eaten what I planned to eat. It is amazing how even after eating well for only a couple of weeks how much less you can eat and be happy. I guess the stomach shrinks pretty fast.

I have also found it's easier to eat every few hours, I have found I am less tempted to cheat. I have my days planned to eat breakfast and then about 10:30 I have a yogurt or string cheese and before I know it it's 1:00 and time for lunch. Then a snack again (like a pear) about 3:30 or 4 keeps me from going home and eating the house down waiting for dinner to cook.

Angie

slimmingsi 01-20-2009 10:39 AM

i eat every free hours too. usually have about 500 calories for breakfast, 1000 or so for lunch 500 for dinner. (all approx) that gives me around 1000 to play with in snacks through the day.

so breakfast is around 9am when i get back from the gym. lunch is around 1. dinner is around 6. and i snack through the day.

say a yoghurt at 11 with a few digetsive biscuits. then around 3.30 till 4 i'll have some fruit/cake (must have afternoon tea and cake i'm british)

this usually gives me a few hundred spare to either have a bigger dinner or to have something later on in the evening before bed like a hot chocolate