Old 01-18-2009, 06:55 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I don't count calories but focus on good eating choices. I find that the downside of calorie counting is the temptation to say "this candy bar is only xxx calories, it fits into my plan."

That being said, occasionally I do use fitday to count calories for a specific day to make sure I am on track and not kidding myself about the quantities.

I also don't journal everything, but I do review my eating mentally after each meal, thinking about whether I ate mindfully or reflexively. Whether I stuck to my goal of stopping when I wasn't hungry. Whether I made good choices.

This is working well for me but is clearly not for everyone.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #17  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

See that is exactly why I like counting calories. Because once in a while you just want that candy bar and you can plan for it. But I know different strokes for different folks.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 262/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Counting calories is what has worked best for me. I think it is the whole process of saying "I have X amount of calories for the day - how I am going to make them work best..." that makes it easier. Then, I try to make most of my calories come from the healthies options possible. But, like Howie said - when I want a treat, I can count it against my calories for the day.
Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #19  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Counting something and writing it down seems like the way to go. At least for me...instead of counting calories I am on Weight Watchers & track points. Same thing when it boils down to it though!

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 01-18-2009 at 08:18 PM.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:14 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Congrats on your WL

Like many others have said, I count calories because it helps keep me focused and on track. I use fit day and I like seeing my macros and nutrient info.
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #21  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Eating healthy, cutting back, watching myself, never, ever worked for me - LONGTERM.

Counting calories provides me with much needed forced limits. There is nothing to stop me from taking in more calories then I require if I don't set a pre-determined amount. Counting calories keeps my food intake in check. Otherwise, there'd be nothing stopping me from eating an extra this or an extra that. Even if it's just an apple. It's an extemely important health/weight "tool" IMO.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote