Old 01-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

Default How long will it take? last 20 lbs.

I'm not giving up no matter how long it may take, but the weight loss has really slowed down. I've lost two pounds in the last month. I didn't go above my calorie limit even once. I've upped the exercise, I've been adding some jogging instead of just walking. I haven't started weights so maybe that is something I need to do. I mix up the calories, I range from 1200-1500. I know it's probably just normal to slow down when your body gets closer to goal. Just curious how long it has taken for others to get the last twenty off. I'm 44 years old so my goal is not low for my height, it's the top of healthy range. It seems like the younger ladies get to goal much quicker, so maybe that is part of it. Sorry, i'm just feeling a little impatient and whiny today.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #2  
FB

My loss didn't grind to a halt until this month. I was moving right along at a pretty steady clip too. Now, I'm not moving anyplace. That's fine, whatever - it's only 5 pounds. There's no way to know really, it varies so much from person to person.

You're rocking the weight loss, truly. Look how far you've come! I know you're feeling impatient, but seriously, you've come so far - what's a little more to go? Besides, maintenance from what I hear is... endless.

I'm really okay with taking the last little bit slow before I get down to the real daily grind of maintaining. I feel like my friends who kept continuing college on for years and years to avoid getting a job.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #3  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

If it's frustrating do you think it would be nice to take a month off from trying to lose? I'm wondering if going into maintenance mode for a month or two might be a nice mental switch and then plan to come back in the middle of spring to tackle those last twenty pounds.

It will probably mean in the long run it will take a little longer but it might be more fun.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8cake View Post
I'm not giving up no matter how long it may take, but the weight loss has really slowed down. I've lost two pounds in the last month. I didn't go above my calorie limit even once. I've upped the exercise, I've been adding some jogging instead of just walking. I haven't started weights so maybe that is something I need to do. I mix up the calories, I range from 1200-1500. I know it's probably just normal to slow down when your body gets closer to goal. Just curious how long it has taken for others to get the last twenty off. I'm 44 years old so my goal is not low for my height, it's the top of healthy range. It seems like the younger ladies get to goal much quicker, so maybe that is part of it. Sorry, i'm just feeling a little impatient and whiny today.
94lbs!!! WOW!! You've done amazingly well.

I think towards the end you're going to have to be extra vigilient and really, really consisitient. With your exercise and your eating. Maybe you want to stay on the lower end of your caloric range most days. Since you're smaller now, sadly, you require less calories. And make those calories as "clean" as possible.

I would also seriously think about adding in some strength training. The more muscle we have, the more calories we burn just standing still. So you will definitely want to do that. Helps with maintenance as well. I don't know how much cardio you're doing, but the more of it you do, the bigger of a calorie deficit you create. Which will definitely help you.

Keep at it. You'll get there.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
94lbs!!! WOW!! You've done amazingly well.

I think towards the end you're going to have to be extra vigilient and really, really consisitient. With your exercise and your eating. Maybe you want to stay on the lower end of your caloric range most days. Since you're smaller now, sadly, you require less calories. And make those calories as "clean" as possible.

I would also seriously think about adding in some strength training. The more muscle we have, the more calories we burn just standing still. So you will definitely want to do that. Helps with maintenance as well. I don't know how much cardio you're doing, but the more of it you do, the bigger of a calorie deficit you create. Which will definitely help you.

Keep at it. You'll get there.
Thanks Robin, it does help to look at how far I've come.

How did you start with strength training? I don't have access to weight equipment right now. I should probably go nose around the exercise threads for ideas. I do fine with the cardio, even started jogging, but the strength training is a little intimidating to me. I do 30-45 minutes of fast walking/jogging five to six days a week. I've been thinking of getting some small hand weights and carrying them when I jog. Is that a good idea or a dumb idea? Kinda thinking it would combine the two and not take more time.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I just wanted to give you a big on all the hard work you've done and all that you have already accomplished! I'm sure the rest will come eventually too, but I bet I would be a little impatient as well to be so close!
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:10 PM   #7  
FB

Quote:

How did you start with strength training? I don't have access to weight equipment right now. I should probably go nose around the exercise threads for ideas. I do fine with the cardio, even started jogging, but the strength training is a little intimidating to me. I do 30-45 minutes of fast walking/jogging five to six days a week. I've been thinking of getting some small hand weights and carrying them when I jog. Is that a good idea or a dumb idea? Kinda thinking it would combine the two and not take more time.
I'm no Robin but I LOVE me some weights!

Hey, I hear that hand weights while jogging just creates joint pressure. We worked hard to alleviate that pressure - so I can see where there may be some truth to it. In addition it would be very hard to target your muscles while concentrating on jogging - not to mention very strange looking if you're jogging in public. I say this because arm exercises require different range of motion - on lateral raises for instance you'd outstretch your arms and lift them up and down - difficult when jogging!

I started with a personal trainer, many people workout at home successfully. I'm reallyreallyreally into weights! Love them up! You could do body weight stuff at home for strength training - no problem.

The problem with small hand weights is that they are not inexpensive and you'll find you quickly outgrow them. I wasted money on them myself - little 2 and 5 pound dumbbells - yesterday I was using 30 pound dumbbells. Yikes!

You don't need fancy equipment to strength train. One of my calorie counting buddies has used milk jugs, 2x4's, bodyweight and other great stuff, and she's progressing awesome.

Body Weight Exercises
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:

Remeber, you are smaller now. It's going to be more difficult to create that calorie deficit. So you need to either up the exercise, or decrease your calories or a combination of the 2.

I would definitely increase the cardio. Can you stretch it to an hour, maybe a little more? Doesn't have to be in one shot. You could break it up, do it 2X a day instead of one. I know that's what I did. That cardio really burns the calories/fat.

As far as strength training, how about using resistance bands for starters? Take a look at this link:

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercis...istanceban.htm

Though it has slowed down, you still are losing. So that's good. Just how much you want to kick it up a notch, at this point, is of course up to you. I don't know, you may want to wait til it comes to a complete standstill. Though I would DEFINITELY add in the strength training, as that will be something good to have longterm. Will definitely help you with maintenance and it will definitely make you smaller.

And may I just repeat - keep at it. You WILL get there.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am also slowing. I was at 164 on November 8. You see where I am now. I am almost 100% on plan--I would say 95% anyway and run three miles every day. I have recently added the 30 DS and it has made the scale definitely go down a wee bit faster.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #10  
In the Home Stretch!

S/C/G: See Tracker

Height: 5'6"

H8Cake - First off congrats on your 94 lb lost!!! Truly inspirational. I can't offer up to much advice since I'm at my 1st plateau but I think the weigh lifting will be a great addition.

Do you measure yourself? I think this will help you stay motivated even if the scale isn't moving. I don't measure myself but I'm thinking about it. I did buy some pants right after Christmas that were snug and now they fit, so that tells me I'm making progress.

Keep us updated and best of luck!
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #11  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

H8cake - you are doing awesome!

I have been flailing around with my last 5 pounds for months now, but I really consider that I am maintaining. If the last bit of weight wants to come off, fine - I know I look tons better, especially with the strength training I have done.

Patience is really the key.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

I just wanted to add that as we get closer to goal we ARE going to lose some muscle. We want to keep that to a minimum. Remember, it's FAT we're trying to lose. So please, please it is essential that you add in some strength training.

It might seem intimidating and foreign now, but once you get into, and you start seeing the changes that occur in your body, you will wonder why you didn't do it earlier. I'm certain of it.

If I do say so myself, I am in awe of my muscles. Maybe even more so then my beloved collarbones . I never in my whole life would have thought that I, *me* could be the proud owner of these precious things.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

94 pounds is awesome! The younger ladies have the advantage of a younger (read faster) metabolism...ours slows down by about 1% per year after 30 or 35.

Strength training builds muscle, however to build muscle you need an exercise which creates fatigue after 8-12 reps. (Meaning you really couldn't do it more.) Small weights don't do that. You should not strength train more than every other day (every third day over fifty.)

There is nothing magic about equipment...lots of things offer weight or resistance. I do think that if you can manage it a session or two with a trainer is a good idea, especially if you are scared of weight training.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #14  

Thanks for the help everyone! Gotta keep my nose to the grindstone! I will definitely add some strength training.
Thanks for the link Robin, I'll give that a try. There is no giving up here, Patience, it's a virtue!
FB: I guess you are right about carrying weights looking pretty goofy when jogging, thanks for saving me from myself. Maybe that's why you never see anyone do it
Lori, I read your blog and it really keeps me inspired! You look fabulous!
Thighsbegone: I've been thinking about the 30 day shred, just might have to get that one. That's Jillian right? I'm scared of her
Daniela: I did measure once about six months ago, guess i'll have to dig out the tape and compare. My size 12's are getting loose, so I know I'm shrinking, it's just that stinking scale that won't move fast enough.
Rodeo: Taking a break and maintaining would probably be a good option. I'm so determined to get to my goal that I just can't bring myself to do it. It seems like my body wants to maintain this at least for awhile, though. Maintaining isn't a bad thing, much better than gaining.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #15  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

One lady at my WW meeting took 2 months to drop the last 3 pounds. I found myself thinking, if that had been me I'd consider adjusting my goal by.......maybe 3 pounds.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote