Old 01-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #1  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Default I don't know how to wear pants.

Ok to prove that we'll talk about anything here's one - I keep meaning to post this but haven't gotten around to it.

Well my whole life clothes never fit right so I'm really confused about how to wear pants. I mean where should the top of them be when they are pulled up properly? And I just mean regular pants not the low cut ones.

Along those lines how do you know when they fit right. Pants always seem either too small (meaning there is pain involved in wearing them) or too big because they're always falling down even with a belt.

Seriously, I must be doing something wrong. Wasn't I supposed to have this figured out by the time I was like... 3?

I should probably just ask my 3 year old nephew...lol.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #2  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

You sound like it is your proportions. Do you every choose pants with a little elastic at the back of the waist?
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

Here is what I have learned.

These popular low rise jeans are a royal pain in the butt for anyone WITH a butt. They just will NOT stay where they need to on me to save my life. Belts, saftey pins...NONE of it works.

For me, mid-rise is what will keep me from flashing my bum and flaunting my undies to the world. Mid-rise, loose/relaxed/eased fit with either a boot cut or wide leg.

What is PROPER? I don't know. I would think being able to wear them without flashing anyone and being somewhat comfortable would be proper enough for me.

I only have little boys and a DH to dress, so they are easy. I know what works for them. For woman...forget about it!

Good luck.

Last edited by irishsarah; 01-10-2009 at 09:46 PM.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #4  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

My new jeans are a boot cut denim with a bit of stretch (so it does not cut into you when you sit down) medium rise (meaning hits me JUST below the belly button) and boot cut, so tighter through the thighs and wider at the ankles to balance my butt and hips. They are fitted through the bum and waist and stay up nicely.

I am an hourglass shape so your MMV.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:14 AM   #5  
FB

I would guess it depends upon your shape. At my heaviest I tended to carry my weight through my abdomen, hips and butt. For that reason pants with a higher waist were better suited to my figure - I HATE muffin top with a passion! About or slightly above belly button is where properly fitting plus sized pants fit me.

Now that I'm generally trim throughout I'm finding I prefer lower waisted (low rise) pants because they feel much better and are more flattering. About or slightly above the hipbone is where I usually hit now. I cannot get used to those tiny zippers for the life of me!

Either way - heavier or less, I personally avoid a muffin top look at all costs.

Last edited by FB; 01-11-2009 at 01:14 AM. Reason: spelling :)
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #6  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Ok this is all helpful - I remember my older sister saying that no matter what her weight is pants never fit her right either so maybe part of it is just shape and yeah I carry a lot of weight in my belly and it seems to be the place that doesn't like to let go of weight.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #7  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

It depends on your shape and the brand of pants! I have an hour glass shape so my waist is really tiny....this means if I get the wrong type (I love mid-rise...esp since I'm not a plumber! lol) I have a canyon gap in the waist band.

Trial and error chickie
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #8  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Hi Rodeogirl, when I weighed about the same as you, I had the same problem. My pants would never stay up! As you lose weight, I think it will become easier for you.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #9  
It's all about the fluff.

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Rodeogirl - you might try looking at a Lane Bryant. Their pants come in three shapes now - styled for those with a triangular shape, rounder shape, or square shape. I'd gotten away from buying their jeans for a while, but went back, got measured and finally found jeans that fit my shape (triangular). I absolutely love them! Their pants are a little pricey, between 40 and 50 dollars, but well worth it for a good fit...
everanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I'd say the best way is to try on as many pairs as you need until you find a comfortable pair. It works for me.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

If all else fails buy men's jeans. That is what I ended up doing the last time I was this weight. All my weight is in my abdomen and I have pretty thin thighs. All the women's pants I tried on had HUGE thighs. I switched to some cheap pair of mens jeans from walmart and they fit the best.

Last edited by zinkemomx2; 01-11-2009 at 06:13 PM.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

At my higher weight I always wanted my pants to come up to my natural waistline which was about 3" higher than my belly button (I'm a hourglass shape). However as the weight's come off the pants have got lower - not low rise but I'm most comfortable in a mid-rise pant now.

As I've got some junk in the trunk I find pants that are a little higher in the back than the front fit best.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 265/156/143

Height: 177 cm (5ft10in)

It totally has to do with proportions.

I have enormous thighs and a tiny waist. If I ever find a pair of pants that fit in the waist but go over my thighs, I'll eat my hat.

My thighs are something like 24 inches around each but my waist is 28 inches. I might have to drop my goal weight to fix this problem even though I don't want to get much lower
lewelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewelaine View Post
It totally has to do with proportions.

I have enormous thighs and a tiny waist. If I ever find a pair of pants that fit in the waist but go over my thighs, I'll eat my hat.

My thighs are something like 24 inches around each but my waist is 28 inches. I might have to drop my goal weight to fix this problem even though I don't want to get much lower
Lewelaine,

Have you always been disproportionate that way? If not, give it a little time. I find that I don't lose evenly, but then things settle and I am back to my "normal" shape. (Mostly hourglass with some of the sand shifted to my bottom.) When I am losing I am often far more triangular!
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #15  

Height: 5ft6'

Something to keep in mind when trying on pants is that you want to fit the widdest part of you. If you carry weight in the tummy you want them to fit comfortably at the waist. If you are bigger in the hips you want them to fit you there and have them taken in at the waist. There are soo many different fits nowadays that it depends on your shape. Us bigger girls should always stay away from tapered legs or bellbottoms as they just make us look bigger in the bum. A mid rise and straight leg or boot cut is a goot place to start.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote