Old 01-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #1  
In the Home Stretch!

S/C/G: See Tracker

Height: 5'6"

Default Am I eating enough?!?! Lots of detail :)

Kinda long, lots of numbers, and details

This whole weight loss thing can be very confusing to say the least. I started counting calories on 9/23, eating 1600 cal per day. My only form of exercise was walking my dogs 30-60 min 3-5 days a week. I joined a local gym on 10/14 and started working out 60 - 90 min 4-5 days a week. I dropped my calories to 1500 in December. I’ve started a new work out routine on 1/5 (I’ve added 3 days of running and made some other adjustments). I now go to the gym for 90-120 min 5 days a week. I know this might sound like a lot but I really like it and I used to be a swimmer from age 13-18 swimming 2 hrs a day, in the summers double training 2hrs am and 2 hrs pm. Besides I still have 60 lbs to lose. Once I reach my goal the plan is to work out 4-5 times a week for 60-90 min.

Anyway, I’ve been kinda stuck for the past 2-3 weeks, up and down from 204 -198 lbs. I’m worried that I’m not eating enough, 1500 cal, since I’ve bumped up the work outs.

I know the weigh isn't going to come off overnight but I'd like to keep up the 2lb loss per week. I think I can do that until I hit 160, then it should get even harder. I'd like to reach my goal of 100 lbs lost by Sept (1 yr OP) or even by year end.

This is from my calorie counting program:

MyNetDiary Daniela’s Nutrition Report for 9/23 - 1/13/09
- Averages over the period

Calories - 1571
Fat - 48g
Carbs - 191g
Fiber - 23g
Protein - 84g

This is from my exercise log:

Total --- Cal Burned --- Avg cal burned per day
Oct --- 9,853 --- 318
Nov --- 14,523 --- 484
Dec --- 14,483 --- 483
Jan --- 19,829 --- 640

* January is an estimate based on my 1st week of my new work out schedule.

Any feedback??? Suggestions???

I started eating more this week and bumped my calories up to 1700 per day. Gonna see what happens at the end of the week, maybe give it two weeks.

I want to have my RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) tested. I think this will be the most beneficial test so I know how much to eat and still lose weight at around 2 lbs per week. I called my doc to see if she knows where I can have it done (some maybe my insurance will cover it. I know I can have the test done at Lifetime Fitness for $140 but I don’t know if I want to shell out $140 on that right now.

Thanks for any input!
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/142/150

Height: 5'11"

Can you show us exactly what foods you are eating and when you are eating them?
jessisaokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #3  
In the Home Stretch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessisaokay View Post
Can you show us exactly what foods you are eating and when you are eating them?
Sure, this is a screen shot from last Monday.

Breakfast 9am - I eat when I get to work. The quaker sugar is quaker low sugar oatmeal (my program cuts off names).

Snack 10:30am - Apple

Lunch 12pm - Home made casserole from cooking light magazine.

Snack 3:00pm - Cheese

Snack 5pm - South beach bar in the car

Snack 5:30pm - .5 oz of almonds b4 the gym

Dinner 8pm and the berries for a snack after dinner
------------------------------------------------

I'll admit I should get more veggies but I do like fruit. I try to mix things up, sometimes I have a lighter lunch, a bigger dinner, and only one snack. It just depends on whats going on. Sometimes I get more protein instead of carbs sometimes vice versa. yada yada yada

Thanks
Old 01-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #4  

How do you feel on this plan? You seem to be a bit high in carbs and low in fat. Not by much though. Since you already know you need more veggies, I wont give you my speech . It also looks like a lot of your carbs are coming from sugar and fruit, you could try adding more whole grains (quinoa, brown rice, ezekiel bread etc). Also, if your working out that much, you might want to try upping your cals by a hundred or two and see if that helps. Try not to focus too much on how many calories you burn during the day, the machines that tell you that are usually off, and its almost impossible to tell how fast your metabolism is going throughout the day. Some people use a heart rate monitor. I don't, I find that when i focus on numbers too much I get a little too obsessed. Remember to have rest days, overtraining is a *****. Let me know how everything works out, and don't give up. It takes a lot of trying new things and seeing what works before you finally get it right. I still make mistakes here and there.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #5  
In the Home Stretch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessisaokay View Post
I find that when i focus on numbers too much I get a little too obsessed.
DITTO BIG TIME!!! I truly need to chill out and maybe listen to my husband bc he's been saying the same thing. I got a HR monitor which shows me how many calories I burn. I think it's adding to my obsession. Might also try to focus on my distance and speed doing cardio instead of cal burned. I do have 2 rest days in my plan, I don't want an injury from all the training. Thanks for looking out

I feel pretty good except for obsessing about the scale. I've already added 200 cal to my program. I think what I need to do is add more veggies and like you said add more whole grain carbs.

Guess I thought it would just keep melting off LOL. The human body is crazy complicated. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Thanks! You look great by the way
Old 01-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #6  
In the Home Stretch!

New plan of attack!

Gonna keep doing what I'm doing, eating 1700 cal and working out.

I am not going to weigh myself for a month so I can chill out and stop obsessing. I'm going to put the scale in my husbands car so it's out of the house and I'm not going to step on the one at the gym.

This will be a challenge for me but one I think I can do
Old 01-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

I think the move to 1700 is a great idea, if it were me I would make sure those 200 calories are from protien. Often a protien bump will help shake things up too. The other option would be calorie cycling, like a 1700, 1900, 1500, 1700, 1900, 1400, 1700, that really helps shake up the metabolism and puts an end to plateaus.
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #8  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

I'd look at two things to start:

Are there any calories that I'm missing - am I underestimating? Forgetting to write something down?

If that's all good I'd probably try to switch up my exercise routine and try something new to unstick me.

But if the fluctuation was only for 2 weeks or so I think I would just gut it out for a month before tweaking my plan too much.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 251.4/see ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

Hi Daniela,
After reviewing your routine, you were not eating enough. You are working out 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day 5 days a week, your body needs food to fuel it. Your body burns a certain amount of calories each day (just the basic functions), the more active you are, the more food you need. Looking at your weight, and your active level, you can eat 2,975 a day to maintain your weight. Subtracting 1,000 calories a day (consuming 1,975 a day) will give you a 2 lb weightloss each week. Of course as you lose weight you will have to refigure your totals. If I were you I would consume at least 1,800 a day. Good luck with whatever you decide.

You are doing great!! I can't wait til I have the same energy you do.
BabyPhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #10  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

WOW 202 carbs a day? Thats a dream come true! I do a low carb diet and stay between 10 and 20 carbs a day! LOL
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:58 AM   #11  

the only people who need 3000 cals a day are athletes and people with extremely fast metabolisms. Those online calculators are very innacurate.

Seashell- what are you replacing the lack of carbs with?

Your new plan looks great. Let me know how it goes and message me anytime you have a question.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 270/ 248/ 165

Height: 5' 11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniela View Post
Might also try to focus on my distance and speed doing cardio instead of cal burned.
You could try some interval running.
I just started a routine I found on itunes.
http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html
Here is an article about interval training.
http://www.inch-aweigh.com/interval.html
I hope it will help me get off this plateau I'm on. So far it has been fun just to mix up my running routine.
zerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #13  
In the Home Stretch!

I agree that the online calculators are all over map. That is why I would LOVE to have my RMR tested. If I'm still stuck in a month I'm going to shell out the $140 (time to ebay more clothes that don't fit for extra money).

Redflame: I've been toying with the idea of calorie cycling, maybe more cals on days I work out vs less on days I don't but the total for the week is the same.

Rodeo: I don't think I'm underestimating, I measure and weigh everything. I've got a little OCD thing going on if you can't tell LOL. I know it's only been 2-3 weeks that I've been stuck but when you know you are doing the right things and the weight used to come off and now it's not it's mega frustrating. I def need to eat more just got to find the right balance to make it work again.

Zerocool: Thanks for the links. I will check them out and I hope you are able to break your plateau too!

I guess what I wanted to hear from this post is "Stop being such a wack job with the numbers, stop letting the scale affect your mood, eat some more, the weight will come off again, your doing a good job, your body is just stressed bc you lost 40lbs".

Okay I feel better and I'll try to stop whining
Old 01-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I would definitely do some HIIT workouts or add some weight training. If you are sure on your calories, you could try to increase a little to watch the effects. Add some raw almonds or some avacado. I also stay around 1500 and run three miles every morning--alternating HIIT and straight jogging. I have recently added the 30DS.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

zerocool, thanks for posting that...I am going to download
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote