Old 01-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 305/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Default What makes us.....

Eat food that we know we are NOT suppose too? Do you ever feel like there is something in your brain that makes you do this despite the fact you know you know it is a no no? For those who have had GREAT success how did you fix this? Maybe I am the only one that has the devil on my shoulder....and trying to find the angel! LOL
Luvbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Well, I don't have any "not supposed to" foods on my list. Just "rather not" foods, because they aren't usually worth it calorie-wise.

That being said, I do eat foods that aren't planned, or foods that I've already decided I'd rather not. Usually it's an urge. Something that takes me by the moment because it's sitting there. So to control that, I don't ever have things sitting out that might tempt me in such a way.

Since much of my days are planned, it prevents too much wiggle room in regards to things that I'd rather not have.

This doesn't stop the urges from tempting me over to the dark side, though. I still have off-plan problems. It's just more important to me to get right back on plan than to continue to eat things I'd rather not.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #3  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

That's a really good question. I know for myself, it's not so much NEVER having food that's not so great for me, it's just picking something else instead more often than not. A gorgeous skinny girl in my office one day was offered a piece of chocolate from the dish - she reached out and said "no i better not...i'd eat the whole thing and i'm going out for dinner tonight" and I thought to myself...wow, skinnies bargain with themselves! isn't that neat??? Me, I'd eat the chocolate without a thought to having dinner out later... but now I try to remember exactly what i've had the past few days, what's coming up ahead, maybe there's some wiggle room, do i really want THAT thing just because it's in front of me, or maybe instead I'll have a few bites of dessert later in the week?? I guess for me it's just being AWARE of what's going in my face, and planning a bit better
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I definitely think there is something in our brains that makes us crave high fat, high calorie, high sugar foods. The same thing that kept our ancestors alive in prehistoric times when there wasn't enough to eat. If there's high fat, high calorie, high sugar food around - your body says EAT IT you might not have enough food tomorrow, I have to protect you from starving!

Sometimes, thinking about WHY my body seems to go gaga over a muffin can help talk me down that I don't need a muffin. I am a modern woman, living in a moder time with a checkbook and a fully stocked grocery store. I can eat a yogurt. Silly thoughts like that
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Also, what works for me - putting entire categories of food "off limits." I know there are a lot of people on this board who are GREAT at moderation and handing treats in small quantities - I am not one of them. If I eat one cookie or one cracker or one M&M, I immediately want more. It's like my mouth floods with saliva and I want to be stuffing in a second cookie before I'm even finishing the first cookie.

After all this time, that still happens to me sometimes. It's much easier for me to just say "no" to the first cookie (or chip or cracker or whatever) than the second cookie.

I know that probably sounds radical and terrible and a sad way to live. But it has really changed my life, I never knew I was so addicted to sugar/empty carbs until I cut way back. Most of my cravings stopped. I didn't feel driven to eat, I felt free of compulsions. I don't feel like this is a terrible thing, I feel like it's a wonderful thing.

I don't live my life without treats, though. I just have to have treats in a way I can manage. A small scoop of ice cream from a parlour - that's fine. Splitting a dessert in a restaurant - fine. Basically anything where I can't go back and get more and more and more. That means for me, no packages of cookies in the house, no tubs of ice cream. I keep temptation out of the house because I still don't really trust myself!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Have you ever read 'You: On A Diet?" This book talks a lot about what goes on in our brain and bodies in response to certain foods. Some foods do relieve depression and stress. For me, the battle is mostly mental and emotional. Are you journaling? I just recently started and it has already helped me to realize my trigger times and helped me to plan ways of dealing with them.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm with Glory, I have accepted that there are certain foods I can't really eat in moderation so I really can't have them. It'd be nice to be able to keep certain things in the house or even accept that I can have a bagel as an occasional treat but I really can't.

What I do sometimes is allow myself to have something when I go out to eat that I normally wouldn't allow myself at home.

For me, its disordered eating a lot of time that makes me eat things that I really shouldn't. I have some control on it but sometimes I do go a bit out of control.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #8  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Count me in as another one of those who can't even have one bite. I have made a decision to never, ever have another empty carb because I cannot do it in moderation. It sounds like a lot to give up but, I wouldn't trade feeling healthy and happy for all the birthday cakes and french fries in the world. It's a fair trade: feel great (now) look great (hopefully soon) = no carbs.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #9  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Another "can't even have one bite" person here. If I have ONE chip I want a bag. One cookie, the whole box. Moderation is NOT good enough for me. I need to strictly put those things off limits.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm another who doesn't do moderation well. It is SOOO much easier to just say no all together. Take that decision making process away. I do have treats, but like Glory, I need to have them in a controlled setting.

As far as why we eat foods that we "shouldn't". Sometimes it's just really simple. They taste good. And that part of the brain takes over the "but you shouldn't, it's not healthy" part. I can "self-talk" my way out of a lot of *bad* situations, but sometimes, that "I want it, screw the consequences" part DOES take over. It can be quite convincing. Beastly in fact.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 01-13-2009 at 01:21 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 145/Don't weight often/130

Height: 5'6

I think a good majority of the food I shouldn't eat is tied to some sort of childhood memory. Like it or not, almost all social siutations for human revolve around some sort of food. I remember on Fridays I would get a small bowl of chips, so I associate chips with relaxing and taking it easy. If I'm on vacation I can justify a bag a chips because hey! I am on vacation! I would have some birthdays at McDonalds, so I associate that food with having fun.

I don't to blame it all on my parents or anything but I think for myself personally, the majority of my food downfalls and associations can 100% be linked to my childhood.
cooperistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
Well, I don't have any "not supposed to" foods on my list. Just "rather not" foods, because they aren't usually worth it calorie-wise.
Actually, that "rather not" mentally works really well for me too. It makes me feel more like I have a choice in the matter, and I'd just "rather not" instead of the forbidden and tempting "not supposed to".

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #13  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

I also cannot be moderate about certain things--simple carbs like sugar, white bread, potato chips. (The only exception seems to be very dark chocolate, which has a little sugar in it.) If I eat these things, I instantly want more and more of them and all other simple carbs. This is not simply psychological, there is a physiological component to the craving--has to do with the blood sugar / insulin regulation cycle, and with the addictive quality of sugar. What I'm saying is that you're probably not overeating and feeling insane cravings because you're insane; it's just that the simple carbs are putting your body out of whack.

Pretty much everything else I'm able to be moderate about, though there are lots of times that the child inside of me demands, "more more more!" But the mom on the outside is able to keep portions regulated, and the child settles down fairly quickly.

I'd suggest that cutting out simple carbs is an easy way to reduce your cravings for them.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #14  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

When I'm feeling mentally strong, I'm not tempted by anything at all. But, when I'm a little tired, feeling stressed about work, down about finances,etc, then I better not have my trigger foods in the house. I prefer to plan my treats and have them in one portion.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #15  
FB

I've begun to learn that food is a tool. Food can be used to suit my purposes (becoming healthy) or to work against me and make a miserable time. Food is not my friend, my lover, comfort or usually entertainment (there are exceptions, dinner parties and dates with the hubby).

When I'm tempted by junk I don't need I ask myself 'Do I want this?'. This meaning a muscular and trim body - NOT the food. Of course I want 'it', the food at the time - but the desire for a healthier me is always, always always greater.

Discovering and getting into bodybuilding helps as well (do not think Incredible Hulk or anything crazy, I'm just a girly girl). Careful, monitored and clean nutrition is an important tool, part of the bodybuilding lifestyle. The lifestyle has helped me to view food as a tool - something to help me get to my goals.

I still want junk on occasion - but I want the life I'm living now more. I still enjoy food and enjoy treats/splurges - but I'm not a slave to it anymore.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by FB; 01-13-2009 at 03:44 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote