Old 01-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #1  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Default I'm afraid of my scale!

Tomorrow is the day. I'm not excited, but I am getting back on the scale. I've had to recommit to being on plan...again... but tomorrow is the day I have to get back on the spooky scale. I guess I just need a new starting point.

I've been slacking so much over the past 5 months or so, that I'm a little anxious as to how bad it will be. But, I'm also talking to myself about getting it done, moving on, and getting back to the point of looking forward to a weekly weigh in when the numbers start going down.

It is funny, even at my church, the message was about recommitment. Our pastor targeted 4 areas that are the most troublesome for people and that he asked to pray for over and over. The first one he mentioned was weight loss and fitness. The other 3 were finances, relationships, and attitudes (as in having a joyful attitude in hard times). Anyway, it struck me that if the message is repeated over and over, it is time to confront it all and take positive steps to regain that confidence, energy, and happiness that I had when I was losing weight and exercising. I'm doing anyone any favors by ignoring what I need and slacking off.

So, here we go... The first step is getting on the scale and facing reality.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

You can do this!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #3  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

I agree...Reality sucks sometimes. But if you ignore it...it doesn't go away.
You can do this...face it and move on. It may not be as bad as you think!
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Don't be afraid of the scale. It's only a monitor. The scale has no feelings, it doesn't judge you or note whether you have been eating bad or good.

Step on that baby and get back to work!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #5  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Do not be afraid! You are strong...you can totally do this!
We are here cheering you on
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #6  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Think of that step onto the scales are your first step to success! This is your time!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

One thing you can do is weigh yourself without looking - have someone else record the weight. You can do this until you're feeling good about your new habits and feeling loser clothes, then check out the results. You don't have to hear the bad news until you're already reversing it.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #8  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

My thought is that the longer you are ignoring what is going on the more you weight when you finally DO step on the scale. So do it now. Don't cringe, don't cry, just do it. And move on from there. We're ALL here to support you. You can do this!!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #9  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I understand, I was terrified the first time I stepped on the scale after - oh - about a year of not weighing. Sometimes it is hard to face the truth. But the unknown is scarier than knowing exactly what you face.

After just a few months of working on healthy eating, I like to get on the scales! Those numbers keep going down and I love that.

Just take a deep breath, and get on the scale. Just get it over with and then you can look forward to watching that number go down!

You can do this!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Scary yes...but what's the worst that can happen? You may not like the number...okay, make tomorrow the highest scale day you ever have again!

Chances are that you will not find it as bad as you think....
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 256/202.5/135

Height: 5'3"

You cant do it!
there are a lot of us right here with you!!

The scale is just a number. It is what is in your head that counts, and to me it sounds like you are ready to do this!!
kandie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #12  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Facing the truth is hard but it's also a huge milestone. Once you know the number you may have a few moments of mental pain but then there's freedom in knowing.

If you don't see that number the reality won't change and will perhaps get worse so it's probably best to just "take your medicine" tomorrow and then move from there.

For me after the initial shock (I was a fair bit heavier than I thought I was) the scale became a trusted friend instead of the enemy.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:06 AM   #13  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeogirl View Post
Facing the truth is hard but it's also a huge milestone. Once you know the number you may have a few moments of mental pain but then there's freedom in knowing.

If you don't see that number the reality won't change and will perhaps get worse so it's probably best to just "take your medicine" tomorrow and then move from there.

For me after the initial shock (I was a fair bit heavier than I thought I was) the scale became a trusted friend instead of the enemy.
I really like how rodeogirl put this. I wanted to add......getting on the scale is a stepping stone to new beginning for you. It a way to now measure all the weight loss success you will be feeling/having. I think we all get scared. Cuz we are not sure what the little chunk of metal or glass is going to say to us but I can sure tell you this ....once you know the number and it starts to go down.....that is a feeling that is hard to beat.

Good luck and I bet after you step on it won't be so bad the next time!
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'm right there with you. I did so well in 2007, and then 2008 was such a crappy year that I just said WTF and gave up. I just got up the nerve (gulp) to get on the scale again yesterday. I gained A LOT back. I'm still 31 pounds lower than my high point (236) but I'm a good 16 lbs. heavier than I was even last spring. Somehow stepping on that scale was a nice smack in the face with the reality fish, and something inside me has clicked. A couple times yesterday I thought, "oh, I'd love one or two of my Christmas chocolates. What harm could they do?" I just thought back to that number on the scale and backed off.

Best of luck to you!
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote