Old 11-15-2008, 02:36 AM   #1  
always meaning to

S/C/G: 268/288/150

Height: 5'7

Default Hair question

Have any of you experienced hair loss since you have been overweight? I started a diet a long time ago and ever since that diet my hair has been falling out and more so since I have been over 215. And since I have been over 215 I have started growing hair on my chin and neck. Alot of hair. I have tried to ask doctors but I always get the "its hereditary" brush off. No testing, no other explaination. I'm getting very frustrated. I dont want to do rogain unless I need to, but I dont know if I need to or if this is something weight loss will fix. I dont have the money to go doctor hopping so I just watch my hair falling out more and more all the time
applestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:17 AM   #2  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Have you had your thyroid checked? If I don't take my synthetic thyroid medication my hair gets dry and unhealthy and falls out. I also get more chin hair. The synthetic thyroid helps but doesn't completely fix it.

If you haven't had your thyroid checked or checked relatively recently I would do that ASAP, especially if you are experiencing fatigue or symptoms of depression in addition to the hair loss/growth on you chin.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Are you eating really low fat? That can cause hair loss.

Also - go back to your doctor and ask about PCOS, the hair growth you are experiencing is one of the signs.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I agree on the PCOS. It sounds like PCOS to me. If you can't afford medical stuff right now, you could try South Beach diet. I am not a "diet pusher" but I have friends who claim their PCOS was cured by eating in that manner... and I had a doctor tell me the same thing (that eating the south beach way stabilizes hormones.) So maybe it's worth a try.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #5  
You can call me Chantili

S/C/G: 227/225/130

Height: 5'6

applestar, I have had the same problem, and it is really embarrassing! I have been doing some research also, and PCOS is what I have thought about as well. I have an appointment scheduled with my doctor to have this checked.

Thanks for asking this question. I am glad to see the responses!
Monkeybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #6  
I CAN DO THIS!!

S/C/G: 360.6/335.4/140

Height: 5'7½"

I would also suggest that the hair growth on the chin could be a result of PCOS. There are prescription meds that help get this under control, along with weight loss - though weight loss is not necessarily going to cure PCOS - there are thin people with PCOS.

As for the hair failing out, are you eating enough calories? There was a time (long ago) that I was trying to diet by eating 800 or less calories a day and my hair was coming out in clumps, along with many other problems. I would say to make sure you are eating at least 1200 calories a day.
gina1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 248/240/167

Height: 5'6

Years ago, I went on a 1200 calorie a day diet. I consumed 15 grams of fat or lower and was exercising strenuously every day. I was also very stressed out because I was doing my master's exams for grad school. My hair started to thin like crazy. I started to take prenatal vitamins and that helped but the reason for the thinning hair was not enough fat in my diet. When I gained weight my hair started to grow back but it was still thin. Years later, I had my thyroid checked and sure enough, that was another culprit contributing to my hair loss.
aliciag57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:55 PM   #8  
always meaning to

Thank you for the responses! Years ago on the diet I was on there was not enough fat and my hair started thinning so I started getting enough. Years later though it started coming out in droves and I have had more than enough fat lol. I have thought of the PCOS but dont have a doctor who will even budge past heredity. Its frustrating. I do not come from a family of balding bearded women! I think I'm going to make an appointment and demand testing for this and for thyroid.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #9  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

If your doctor is resistant to working with you look for another doctor, even if you have to drive a little further.

Having a doctor who was on my side and really listened to me made such a huge difference! The fact that your doctor is saying it's hereditary when there's no history of it in the family is a red flag to me that he/she is not really hearing you or paying attention.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #10  
always meaning to

Yes you are right. Its my primary care AND my gyno both But I am going to be looking for another doctor.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:34 PM   #11  

You do not need a diagnosis by a doctor to know if you suffer from PCOS. Read as much as you can about it, though. A doctor can test your thyroid, insulin, glucose etc., but you don't need a formal diagnosis. Some women with PCOS don't even have cysts on their ovaries! Take good care of yourself and I wish you luck! I am working on getting rid of this myself.
kms118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:00 AM   #12  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

Ditto to PCOS! Get it checked girl! Good Luck!
HeatherMcG is offline   Reply With Quote