Old 11-14-2008, 04:41 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

Height: 5'5"

One of the keys for me has been to be willing to make small changes when necessary. I didn't start out with my current WOE - it's been a progression. I think also that I haven't gone into the DIET mentality - I've been keeping the thought foremost in my mind that this is a lifestyle change.

I dieted my way up to 300 pounds. If I want long term success, I needed to stop dieting, stop obsessing about the numbers on the scale and make changes that I could sustain (or modify) for life. I've been doing that and it really seems to be working.

I remember 18-24 months ago when it took every bit of courage I had to go to an aqua aerobics class - then I got the courage to go to swimming lessons - then I started swimming 40-60 laps regularly - now I'm actually surfing in the ocean. It was a progression, led by small successes along the way.

The other thing that I think has been critical for me is that I've lost the 'all or nothing' way of thinking. I know that if I eat off plan today, I don't need to throw in the towel. I'm right back with the next meal. Some people call it the 90/10 plan....follow the plan 90% of the time and don't worry about the 10%.

Thanks for this thread....it's been good to think about it.
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:00 PM   #17  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

So far I love reading how similar and unique we are when it comes to what's working for us. More! More!
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:05 PM   #18  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

fibre is my friend. If I get the knawing munchies and cannot feel satisfied no matter what I eat - I know I just need more fuit and veggies for added fiber.

And the other thing would be to not expect perfection from myself. 80% on plan. not perfect. just on top of things.

Last edited by valpal23; 11-14-2008 at 10:05 PM.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:08 PM   #19  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Treating myself the way I would treat other people - giving myself the same consideration, patience, forgiveness, and understanding.

Who knew that I wasn't perfect and would make less than perfect choices on this journey?

and praise yourself every day! YOU deserve it!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Eating enough! I used to think that the less I ate the better, I've discovered that I lose faster when I eat more...and have been able to sustain it as well.

Thinking of this as a life change not a project. I'm done with "dieting". This is how I eat.

Giving up guilt. I eat what I eat. If I eat too much at some point...well so be it. I'll eat less later. No guilt.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Making health my prime motivator. When the scale doesn't change, health is as a reason to keep going is still there. I also just find it so much more pleasant to make choices based on health instead of scolding and depriving myself. It also helps me to make sure my choices are based on habits I can sustain for life.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I thought of another one. Becoming accustomed to much higher quality food. It makes good choices so much easier, because most of what other people or everyday type restaurants offer, is not very enticing when you're accustomed to so much better. It really mostly takes willpower out of the equation in most situations. And then when you have the opportunity to enjoy something really special, you can do it and feel great about it.

Similar thing with sugar. I put about 1/2tsp of agave syrup into my chai tea this morning - had to go back and double the milk in it because it was way too sweet. I used to put two packets of sugar in coffee. I looooove that this has changed. Again, because it pretty much takes willpower out of the equation, because your tastes have just changed. Now, when a special dessert comes along, it's unlikely to be lower in sugar the way I would prefer it, but that turns into natural portion control, because it seems so rich.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #23  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

I would say another big key for me is eating more whole foods and less processed foods. And when I do get something more processed like a box of crackers I look at the ingredients and try to buy things that have mostly ingredients I recognize -God bless Triscuits-.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:03 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

I echo what julie said about the focus this time being on health and not so much my appearance. I am doing it for both, but before it wasn't about my health, just my weight. Now i am focused on nutritious food, that is going to benefit my body, not just losing weight.
also, finding new recipes that i totally enjoy makes this so much easier. I have found so many new ways to cook light and healthy, that i look forward to eating the healthy stuff. It makes a big difference when you really enjoy what you are eating.
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote