3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > 100 lb. Club

Will you stay on plan for thanksgiving?

Old 10-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #16
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

Hey Jersey Girl, what are faux mashed potatos??? I'd love to try them

2011 Mini Goals

Next Goal - 225 April 1
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:39 AM   #17
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

I should have no problem staying on plan. I'm working Thanksgiving (WOOOT extra pay!) and afterwards, I will definitely be going home. So no going to my mama's house to partake of my stepfather's cooking.

My WL Blog: Luna Loses
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:51 AM   #18

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

the way i figure it is, its only one day. Its a special occasion and I think we deserve to treat ourselves on holidays. I will probably try not to make myself sick, but i will eat the yummy stuff
last year, and the year before that.....we deep fried a turkey. this year, i will NOT do that!!!! I will also probably only have one dessert, not several

Those who think they have no time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness. - Edward Stanley, the Earl of Derby, 1873
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:49 AM   #19
Gone, baby, gone

S/C/G: 274/212.6/134

Height: 5'1"

I am also working on Thanksgiving - I'd rather take the extra pay, and I'm not a huge fan of the holiday. (When we were younger, we used to go to Plymouth, MA for the holiday, and they made us dress like Pilgrims and Indians to re-enact the first Thanksgiving...I'm still traumatized) I figure I'll bring a turkey sandwich or something to work that day, but really, I'd rather not deal with the holiday at all.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #20
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

I love this thread! I really need a strategy going in, or it's going to be a disaster!!

I just know I'm going to eat everything I like, so I've decided to give myself permission, that way I won't feel like a loser the next day. I like the idea of loading up on white turkey and veggies, and having moderate amounts of the real yummies. It's so hard for me when stuff I love is all laid out in troughs in front of me, so I'm going to do my best.

The biggest problem for me (because really, you can only do so much damage in one day), is turning the holiday into a week-long leftover fest. I absolutely LOVE a turkey sandwich on soft white bread with lots of mayo and salt. I might have to have one of those the next day, then cool it. If I tell myself I'll never have another one of those, I'll freak out and eat 10 of them.

Maybe staying on-plan near-perfectly till then (a little off lately) will give me the motivation to be moderate and get right back on afterwards. And I LOVE the idea of a good workout that day before the festivities!

Thanks for the strategies, everyone!!!!
SECOND GOAL...250lbs - ACHEIVED 4/13/11
THIRD GOAL:
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #21

S/C/G: 280/273.5/170

I'm making dinner again this year for my family so I get to control what we're having lol My problem is that I snack while I'm making holiday dinners so I'm planning on having a bunch of veggies out for me to snack on instead of junk! I know I'm making turkey but I'm not sure about everything else yet. I was thinking of making green beans amondine and maybe some grilled pumpkin. Of course my dad is bringing his crazy good mashed potatoes (he puts lots of cheese and butter in them! yum) but I'll measure some out for myself so I don't get tempted to overeat. I'm going to try really hard to stay on track for the holidays
Elyndria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:00 AM   #22
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

we have two thanksgiving traditions that help a LOT: 1) my mom and i do a 10k in the morning (it'll be our sixth year in a row!) and 2) we have our dinner at a fabulous buffet downtown. so, no leftovers to speak of! i'm planning on eating small amounts of whatever i want. not a big turkey fan but they usually have really great fish like sea bass. the desserts are also amazing - mom and i scrape the spatulas on our plate instead of taking whole pieces, so we can try every single one of them. we're hoping that one of these years my sister gets on the wagon with us for the 10k and dessert plate, but we're not going to preach or push. it wouldn't have worked with me before i was ready to hear it.

oh yeah - the other part. friday i'm 100% back on plan.

Last edited by kuhljeanie : 10-30-2008 at 11:00 AM.
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #23
Focus

S/C/G: 296/ticker/199/

Height: 5'4

I will be cookin dinner at my house for my family. Which means....I can choose what I want to cook. I will have a sugar-free dessert and one that is not. My neice and nephew don't like sf or they think they don't, but I love fixing their favorites . I will eat and really try to eat in moderation!!!

=ONE FOR EACH LB LOSS 11/4-12/4
Dumplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #24
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVEECK View Post
the way i figure it is, its only one day. Its a special occasion and I think we deserve to treat ourselves on holidays. I will probably try not to make myself sick, but i will eat the yummy stuff
last year, and the year before that.....we deep fried a turkey. this year, i will NOT do that!!!! I will also probably only have one dessert, not several
It depends on the person and their habits but there always seem to be 'special occasions'. The special part of any holiday, to me at least, isn't what you get to eat but rather the people you get to spend it with.

I always used to gain weight between Thanksgiving/Christmas because it was always filled with food/special treats. A month of treatdom can do a lot of damage. Life is a little easier for me dealing with these occasions now though.

Thanksgiving will be easy because I'll cook everything myself. Christmas will be a little harder and I'll have to figure that one out. My mom/grandma will be cooking but both know somewhat what I'll eat and what I won't. I'll have to provide guidance and also probably provide some food for myself/husband.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #25
BlockHead =)

I will eat what I want but very sparingly on the carbs - we are eating late and I have to work the next day and I don't want to be in a sugar daze on Friday. I guess it's a bit different for me than most people b/c I can take a day off of watching my intake due to calories, but I can't make my body take a day off from Type 2 diabetes, so it will react to the sugar and carbs no matter what. I will have a small piece each of my 2 favorite pies, without the crust. (Not that that will help a whole lot with pecan pie!)
I've been in the 100lb Club, 300+ Club, 30-Somethings (now I'm 40-something), Alternachicks, Chicks up for a Challenge. I have Type 2 Diabetes, have been on meds for depression, struggled with binge eating and exercise motivation. I've been a calorie counter & a carb counter. I've been here off and on since August 2007.
jeniansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #26
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Since I'm on the Flex plan with WW I'll be on plan....it's easier for me to be on flex instead of core so I can have a little of my favorites Plus I'll be cooking so everything will be healthy!

"The most exciting, and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself."

My fan page on facebook! www.facebook.com/taneeisfitforlife
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:32 PM   #27
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

PhotoChick is my hero, and like she said, I'm including reasonable holiday indulgences in my plan, so I won't be going off plan to celebrate. It's a matter of moderation. All my usual rules apply (don't eat when I'm not actually hungry and don't keep eating when I'm satisfied, write everything down). I find that I can enjoy special occasions even more when I don't feel bad about it afterward.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #28
TAG! you're it!

S/C/G: 260/219/180

Height: 5'3"

My thankgiving strategy is that I'm going to be dining at a friends house who is diabetic, and her and I will do most of the cooking, so aside from watching carbs and sugar we'll be watching fat too. Other then that I plan to eat my favorite dishes in moderation and I'm even going to have a peice of pie for dessert. Its the wine consumption I'm really going to have to keep a handel on, good friends, good food and good wine. I have a huge family, and I spend christmas with them, but Thankgiving is for the girlfriends.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:43 PM   #29
FB

I'm totally staying on plan - because it is ONLY one day. I like the way I feel eating good, I like the scale's feedback, I like the way I'm looking lately (does that sound jerky, if so I'm sorry) and no treats will feel as good as all of that. I'd also likely make myself sick if I ate badly, after staying on plan all year and it's not worth the headache of the scale's feedback later on. I don't want to agonize over water weight, that doesn't feel good.

There are plenty of awesome options on Thanksgiving, I'll load up on turkey and veggies, same as I do any other day. I'll pass up on unhealthy options, just like any other day. I'll laze around with my people and visit - which I don't get to do everyday.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #30
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

Oh, I just thought of something to add...

On the day of my birthday party, I wrote at the top of my Journal: Today Counts! and I made a mental note to myself that my body can't tell the difference between calories I eat at a party and calories I eat at any other time. Since my body is treating food the same way, then my mind should also.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.