Old 10-20-2008, 05:10 PM   #1  

Default What brings you joy?

I realized that between the moving, fixing up the old house, working in the new house, and keeping up with committments, I haven't had a weekend where I've enjoyed myself since May or June. And I'm tired, really hot-eyed, bone-aching, just-plain-tired tired. This week will be rough at work and so will next week. I really want to do something next weekend that's a real break.

But what? I honestly can't think of anything that doesn't involve spending entirely too much money at a bookstore or food.

So what do you do to rest and restore -- that doesn't involve food or spending "great flipping wads of cash" (sorry, Blackadder flashback)?

Thanks,

Barb
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I pick out a good book (from the library) and take a long bubble bath. There's nothing more relaxing for me.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

I second the bath. I get in the whirlpool tub with some candles, some calgon and my laptop and strawberry margarita. I make it with frozen strawberries, some splenda and some tequilla-Yum! I stay in there for a good hour, it's wonderful!
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #4  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Yeah a good hot bubble bath with the lights lowered.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Quote:
spending "great flipping wads of cash" (sorry, Blackadder flashback)?
I think I'm in love. Barb, will you marry me?

Right now, for a whole slew of reasons, joy is a short run commodity in my life. Right now I'm working on sane - and it's a very fine thread.

Spending time with my guy, just being together and talking and holding hands is a big thing for me. Because of distance and time it doesn't get to happen that often, but being around him brings me peace and comfort.

Writing. I write a lot for other blogs as well as journaling for myself. It also brings me a measure of peace when I can get something down on paper and out of my system.

Right now, being alone. Just a few hours of silence is a blessing. Tonight hubby is at his brother's house to watch the football game and I have an entire evening of no-TV planned. I will read my book in blessed silence, eat what I want for dinner (healthy, but all mine) and not have to make conversation or be social.

Those things right now are what bring me as close to joy as I feel I can get.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

Besides the bath, I also love to go for walks. Not exercise walks, but just leisurely walks for the joy of being outside -- even in the cold all bundled up. Then, a nice non-fat Latte at a coffee shop (Not too expensive). Lets see, right now there are lots of farms that are doing the pumpkin patch thing and harvest festivals. You don't have to buy anything, but just meander through the pumpkin fields, ride the tractor hayrides (Often free to get to the fields), and look at all the farm goods and barns. What else...hmmm...I love to get into my PJ's really early and just curl up and watch a movie.
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

My longtime favorite is to haul a bunch of books somewhere I can sit and read different ones (I read non-fiction; I guess if you were into fiction you'd settle in with one book) for hours and hours while drinking. That used to be Diet Coke at McDonald's . Recently I've done Corner Bakery for their Black Currant Iced Tea , and the pleasure of sitting outside in a cafe type setting. But I don't want to eat there every week or even every other week. I need a new place. What I really need is to figure out a way to accomplish the same thing without the restaurant part. I just need to get out of the house sometimes. I've been known to even sit in my car sometimes. I actually like that when it's pouring rain . Sometimes I spend all afternoon at Barnes & Noble reading stuff. It's trickier when it gets cold, because I can't sit outside.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 10-20-2008 at 06:24 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #8  

Quote:
Recently I've done Corner Bakery for their Black Currant Iced Tea , and the pleasure of sitting outside in a cafe type setting. But I don't want to eat there every week or even every other week. I need a new place. What I really need is to figure out a way to accomplish the same thing without the restaurant part. I just need to get out of the house sometimes. I've been known to even sit in my car sometimes. I actually like that when it's pouring rain
Oh yeah. I love to read and sometimes completely burying myself in a book (or a series of books) is the best.

I also love to sit in my car and read. I'm glad I'm not alone here.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Oh yeah. I love to read and sometimes completely burying myself in a book (or a series of books) is the best.

I also love to sit in my car and read. I'm glad I'm not alone here.

Oh wow. I thought I was the only one too.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #10  

Hee hee. Sometimes I leave for appointments early just so I have some quiet time sitting in the car. Of course I just *happen* to have whatever book I'm reading along with me.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

It's been warm here, and I like sitting drowsily in the sun and listening to the birds. Or the my neighbors dogs as the case may be. Preferably with a glass of wine.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #12  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

I hit up the library every week! I get books, and also movies and TV shows. We don't spend any money on cable TV or renting movies. I put tons of TV shows and movies on hold and we always have plenty of free stuff to watch!
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #13  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

I second/third/fourth the bubble bath!! Bubble baths are sooo relaxing. Especially if you can get your hands on some kind of girly magazine--Cosmo, Glamour, Marie Claire, WHATEVER. Nothing beats a bubble bath and a fun magazine. OH, and something that always gives me a huge lift is painting my nails! I love doing the whole routine of cutting, filing/smoothing, painting (at least 2-3 coats!) and then showing them off! Lol. It's particularly fun if you use a bold color. I just painted my nails black a couple days ago and it makes me feel sooo cool and stylish.

I hope you find something joyful to do! You deserve it!
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:26 AM   #14  
BlockHead =)

A laugh out loud movie night is fun for me. Either at the theater or DVDs. And dancing. I haven't been dancing in ages, but will go next month. It's one of my favorite stress relievers. It's BYOB where we go so I get to be a cheap drunk too (ok I get buzzed, not drunk, but I dance better when I'm buzzed ok maybe only in my own mind). I also have a 10-year-old so I like that I can do things under the guise of being a mom that I really want to do too, like go to Children's Museums and petting zoos and stuff like that.
I hope you have a fabulous weekend!
jeniansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:08 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Flowers, my grandson, telling stories, and no aches and pains...

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 10-21-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote