Old 09-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default Favorite Fall Recipes

I thought it would be a great time to start a Favorite Fall Recipes thread. Please post your yummiest cool-weather healthy recipes. How about some soups, stews, chilis? Baked apples? What do you like?

I love Baked Acorn Squash:
Split an acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place face down on a nonstick cookie sheet and bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Then flip them over and spray with ICBINB spray or a spritz of olive oil, or a little brushing of butter (1tsp). Then sprinkle with a bit of Splenda or I use 1 tsp brown sugar. (Or brush with a tiny bit of REAL maple syrup). Sprinkle with cinnamon, salt and pepper. Bake for 20-30 minutes more until it is very tender when poked with a fork.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/277/TBA

Height: 5'5"

I've wanted to try acorn squash but never have. I presume it has a sweet-like taste, since you've put cinnamon and splenda on it??
Redheaded I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:12 PM   #3  

JoAnne, yes it is sweet, but it is also very good without the sugar if you want it with just salt and pepper on it. It also goes well with apples.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/277/TBA

Height: 5'5"

We'll have to try it this weekend! Thanks for the tip.
Redheaded I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #5  
carinna

I make butternut squash the same way. Mmmmmmmmmm
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #6  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I make the most ridiculous "soup" but i love it!!

ground beef and ground turkey - brown it up and sprinkle some taco seasoning on it. Add LOTS (of what you like of course) of onions, celery, carrots - let them get a big tender

ADD 2 big cans/cartons of chicken or beef stock

ADD 4 tins Cream of Tomato soup (low sodium or low fat, or regular)

ADD 2 big tins of diced tomatoes

ADD 1/2 bag each (frozen) CORN, GREEN BEANS, PEAS (again, whatever you like)

This thing is a monster! it's so thick and full of stuff, and a bit of meat makes me feel like it's dinner - a little roll and bob's yer uncle!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:28 AM   #7  

Come on folks, I need more ideas!

Anyone have a nice, healthy way to make a pot pie?
Old 09-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #8  

Thumbs up Baybs Chicken Veggie soup....

Well im in on this one.....I love hot foods and this one really helps me stay on my healthy eating plan and i dont feel as if im missing out on any thing....

Chicken Veggie soup....(This is for 2 ppl as thats all thats in my family)leftovers are great for the next day....this is a slow cooker recipe and will cook all day and when you get home....OMG! the house smells wonderful!

1 whole chicken brest (Boneless skinless)cut into 1 inch cubes
4 celery stalks (Cut up in pieces)
1 sweet onion (diced)
1 lb bag carrots (Sliced)
1 bunch broccoli crown (diced)
1 large can chicken broth
3 chicken bullion cubes
3 tbs I cant believe its not butter light!
Salt and Pepper

In crock pot (On High) start your chicken, celery and onion and I cant believe its not butter. simmer for about 1/2 hour....

Add your remaining ingredients and turn down on LOW....Let cook on low for 6-8 hours....(While your working ) Then when ya get home walla! dinners ready!

~Bayb
baybbrowneyes30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
2 cups low sodium chicken stock/broth
2 cups water
olive oil
salt / pepper

Coat the chunks of squash in olive oil and salt and pepper (i put them all in a zip-lock bag with about 1T of olive oil and use that to coat them). Roast in a 400deg oven for about 45 mins, until the squash is tender and beginning to brown.

IN the meanwhile, put chicken stock and water in a pot and bring to a simmer. Add cooked squash to the pot and let simmer for 30-ish minutes.

Using a potato masher, blend the squash and the broth/water. At this point taste for salt and pepper. Usually the salt from the roasting is enough for me.

The soup is now ready - you can eat it as is or use it as a base for other things. Just plain like this, it's 120 cals and 1.4 g of fat per serving. I like to garnish it with 1 T of sour cream and sprinkle with a little paprika.

Options:
Add 1 cup of heavy cream to the soup (makes it 144 cals per serving) and blend well for a creamier/heavier soup.
Add 1 cup of plaing yogurt to the soup - also creamier and denser, but adds a tangy flavor as well.
Add whatever spices you're in the mood for - I've added curry, chili powder, cumin, etc. It makes a really good spicy soup.

Add the yogurt/milk and chill it and then add sweetner and cinnamon or ginger. It's yummy served hot or cold as a sweet soup and makes a great breakfast in the autumn.

I usually make a big pot of this (double the recipe) and then eat off of it for a week or two. Because you can change it up so much, I don't get tired of it.

----------

Pumpkin Spice Muffins

Wet Ingredients:
1 15oz can solid pack pumpkin
2 large eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
grating of fresh nutmeg

Dry Ingredients:
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

preheat oven to 350deg F

Whisk together all the wet ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth.

Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl until well combined.

Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients, mixing gently by hand. Do not overmix. It's ok if the batter is lumpy. It will all bake out in the end, I promise.

Divide batter among muffin cups and bake until puffed and golden brown and wooden pick or skewer inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.

Cool in pan on a rack 5 minutes, then transfer muffins from pan to rack and cool completely before packaging and storing.

Makes 16 muffins. Each muffin is 110 cals and 1.7 g fat.

----------

My MILs Chilli
1/2 pound ground turkey
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, diced
1 6oz can of tomato paste
1.5 tsp salt
1 quart water
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbl chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 medium whole dried red pepper
1 bay leaf
8 whole allspice
2 cans of chili beans or pinto beans

Brown the meat in a large pot or stockpot. When the meat is nearly done push the meat to the sides of the pot and brown the onion and garlic - there won't be much grease from the meat, but there will be just enough to cook the onions. When the onions become nearly translucent, stir everything together and add the tomato paste, salt, water, vinegar, Worcester, chili powder, and cumin. Bring it to a rolling boil for about 10 minutes and then reduce to a simmer.

You can simmer it for as little as 1 hour or as long as 4 hours. We like to let it simmer for at least 2 ... I think the flavors blend better that way.

Put the whole red pepper, bay leaf, and allspice into a spice ball and leave it in the simmering chili for an hour or so. Don't leave it in longer than two hours or the allspice will overwhelm the chili. About 20 minutes before serving, drain and rinse the beans and add them to the pot. They need to heat thru, but not cook into mush.

This recipe has been doubled, tripled, and even quadrupled and works great. When you double it or more, the beans don't double exactly. Instead add 1 can of beans per pound of meat ... plus one can of beans for the pot.

This is also great the next day (or the day after) and can be frozen (w/out the beans) and reheated for yummy quick dinners or lunches.

I don't remember the calorie counts for this one, but I seem to recall it's around 180 cals per bowl (1.5 cup serving). It's extremely filling, too, so a single bowl goes a long way. This is our favorite Sunday meal during football season - and then makes a great lunch the next day.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:55 AM   #10  

Thumbs up

I dont know but those Pumpkin spice muffins sound YUMMY! I'll have to try those.....

~Bayb
baybbrowneyes30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

I love these muffins. They're extremely moist and dense and very pumpkin-y. I had one as a mid-morning snack this morning, spread with 1T of cream cheese.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 248/240/167

Height: 5'6

I am going to bake those pumpkin muffins and just toss a handful of walnuts in the batter. this recipe looks very yummy.
aliciag57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Sorry Lyn, I haven't had a chance to dig out any recipes yet. But cool weather gets me wanting to make all sorts of soups and stews, pumpkiny things, and lately apple crisp has been showing up around here a couple of times/wk.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

White Bean and Chicken Chili

Makes 4-6 servings

1-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped ( or 1 tsp. Garlic powder)
1 can (4-ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 cans (16 ounces) Great Northern Beans
1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth - low salt
1 1/2 cups finely chopped cooked chicken breast
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional) -lowfat
Sour cream (optional) lowfat or fat free
Salsa (optional)

In large skillet, cook onion in oil for 4 minutes or until transparent. Add chopped garlic or garlic powder in the last 2 minutes. Add chilies, flour and cumin; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add beans and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken; cook until hot. Garnish with cheese, sour cream and salsa, if desired.

I always double this recipe!! Folks love it.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

I am a chili fanatic! I have several recipes I alternate and have been known to eat chili for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Here's one of my favorites-

Quick and easy chili (very little preparation, cooks up in about 2 hours)
1lb of ground buffalo or turkey (or other meats)
1 c frozen onions
2 crushed cloves garlic
2 large cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomatoes w/green chilis
4 cans of beans (I usually use a mix of kidney and black)
several tbsp chili powder (I use about 4)
1/2 tsp cumin

Brown the meat, add onions and garlic, cook a little longer. Add remaining ingredients. Let simmer, uncovered for 2 or more hours, stirring occasionally.

I usually prefer using fresh ingredients but sometimes fresh ingredients just take too long. My sister and I have disagreed over this recipe in the past because she thinks it's too thick so adds I believe a can of tomato juice. The thicker I can get my chili the better so I do not add any additional liquids. The liquid from the beans and tomatoes cooks down to make a nice, hearty chili.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote