Here is what has worked for me NE Sunshine as I am facing a lot of downers in my life right now:
1) Look up and around--you do not need to go through this alone! In fact, for the sake of your mental health, don't go through this alone!
2) Get as much rest as you need. I have found that during this time of extra added stress I am sleeping between 9-10 hours nightly. I am also using a sleep aid to help me do that. No, it is not addictive.
3) Prioritize things in your life. You gave a great example: basics are first then the rest will follow.
4)Don't overdo or overnurture or over-anything. My Mom has been through a lot the past twelve months (2 cancers, two surgeries, 2 strokes, 2 heart attacks, pneumonia twice--things in two it seems and so it goes on). She has a strong will to live but I allow others to take care of her so I can be there for her emotionally. Do the same for your Dad. Worry less, have faith more.
5) As for finances, well, I hear you, let's say, I deal with that on a first come first serve basis too. Get back to food, clothing and shelter. The rest can be put on the back burner, no how much they want your money, don't take away from the basics.
6) Diet? Do your best here too and let it go.
Let go and let God. You'll make it kiddo, but do it one day at a time.