3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Excuse me... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/150190-excuse-me.html)

Sandi 08-27-2008 01:02 PM

Excuse me...

Ok, I know I am a big girl and I take up a lot of room. But if one more person says excuse me when they pass me in a store, I might scream. Why? Because they say it, even when they have PLENTY of room.

Is this happening to anyone else??

PhotoChick 08-27-2008 01:13 PM

I gotta say that it seems like you're being massively oversensitive here.

I say "excuse me" when I walk past someone in the store even when I have plenty of room for a variety of reasons. Sometimes I say it because they're looking at something on a shelf and I'm walking between them and the shelf. Sometimes I say it because I wasn't paying attention and almost bumped into them. Sometimes I say it because it looks like they're about to move and I want to avoid a collision - sort of a "hey I'm here" announcement. Sometimes I say it just because it's habit.

Don't take things so personally. I'd bet 99% of the time it has nothign to do with YOU or your size.

FreeSpirit 08-27-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoChick (Post 2335274)

I say "excuse me" when I walk past someone in the store even when I have plenty of room for a variety of reasons. Sometimes I say it because they're looking at something on a shelf and I'm walking between them and the shelf. Sometimes I say it because I wasn't paying attention and almost bumped into them. Sometimes I say it because it looks like they're about to move and I want to avoid a collision - sort of a "hey I'm here" announcement. Sometimes I say it just because it's habit.

Exactly. I always say it when I walk past someone, whether they're 500 lbs or 120.

mandalinn82 08-27-2008 01:25 PM

I say "Excuse Me" all the time, too. Pretty much any time I pass someone within I don't know, several feet or so. Or if I think I might be blocking that person from seeing the shelf they are looking at. Or, basically, if I think that person is in any way affected by or even made aware of my presence. I just throw it out so no one thinks of me as rude :-)

jenjen 08-27-2008 01:27 PM

I say "excuse me" quite a bit in the grocery store. For me, I was taught that it was curtious to say it when you were walking between someone at the items they were looking at.

With the grocery store isles closing in around me, I find that people stand in the middle of the isle next to their cart oblivious to the world around them (I'm just as guilty as the rest of them!) and I have to say "excuse me" to get down the isle or turn my cart around & go in the other direction.

It has nothing to do with the size of the person.

Glory87 08-27-2008 01:27 PM

I say excuse me all the time too, has nothing to do with anyone's size - for exactly the same reason others posted above. It's just polite when you're passing between someone and what they are looking at or to let someone know you're near them so they don't randomly change directions and bump me or various other reasons.

I'm afraid if I avoid saying "excuse me" to a larger woman, she'll go post on a board that thin people "just don't even speak to fat women, she walked right past me without even an "excuse me!""

PhotoChick 08-27-2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

I'm afraid if I avoid saying "excuse me" to a larger woman, she'll go post on a board that thin people "just don't even speak to fat women, she walked right past me without even an "excuse me!""
Can't win for losing, can we!? ;)

Sandi 08-27-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glory87 (Post 2335312)

:lol:

Point taken. ;)

carinna 08-27-2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoChick (Post 2335274)
I gotta say that it seems like you're being massively oversensitive here.

Don't take things so personally. I'd bet 99% of the time it has nothign to do with YOU or your size.

I think I could just quote photochick's responses in every post on this site, because she always seems to say whatever I'm thinking. :)

PhotoChick 08-27-2008 02:04 PM

Oooh Carina. That's scary that we share a brain! :D

Smiling_Sara 08-27-2008 02:24 PM

I usually say it whenever I'm about to cross someone. Even if there is plenty of room. 1. So they know I"m there and don't back up or move forward, etc. and 2. I don't want there to be akwardness when I think I have enough time and someone backs up or move forward just as I'm crossing paths with them...

Redheaded I am 08-27-2008 03:17 PM

I say it all the time as well. And, like the others, I do it when I enter someone's personal space, or as a "hello, I'm here" type of thing. I especially say it when DS and I are in a store and he's pushing the cart. I tell ya, a 10-year old boy wielding a shopping cart can be a scary thing!! Although, to his credit, it's been over a year since he's hit anyone. ;)

PhotoChick 08-27-2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Although, to his credit, it's been over a year since he's hit anyone.
Hahahah! That made me laugh out loud. :)

JayEll 08-27-2008 03:28 PM

I just fix people with a wide eyed stare and say Get. Out of. My. Way.

;)

Jay

GirlyGirlSebas 08-27-2008 03:32 PM

Okay. Let's be totally honest with each other. You've never had someone say "excuse me" in that so very irritated voice when there is plenty of room for them to get around you? I don't always think that it's because of my size. Often, it's just a sarcastic way of saying "get the @#$$ out of my way, I'm in a hurry."

Sandi, you're not crazy or over sensitive. It may not happen as often as we think, but it does happen.