3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   TOM (time of month) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/149653-tom-time-month.html)

Mommysince21505 08-20-2008 05:35 PM

TOM (time of month)

Hey everyone, I was wondering if the scale adds a couple pounds during that TOM for you. I just started today and noticed I gained 2 lbs, but I keep telling myself it is my period... :( I know I didn't go over my calories (and I haven't been eating bad).

Although this week I moved from 30 minutes on the elliptical to 1hr, which means I do 4 miles every day except yesterday. Yesterday I did 8 miles (2hr workout) on the Elliptical. Well not all at once, 4 miles in the morning, then 4 miles in the evening with DH. Maybe I am gaining muscle... (I keep using that line on myself:lol:).

I don't know but I am very upset about this and probably have no reason to be. Anyway, does anyone gain between 2-5lbs when on their period and then afterwards it is gone and even experience extra weight loss? Maybe this is like water weight???? :?:

JulieJ08 08-20-2008 05:43 PM

I may gain up to two pounds. But ignoring the little spikes, I seem to have started having a plateau the week of and after my period. The following week makes up for it a little bit, but not entirely, especially as my cycle is getting shorter :(.

thistoo 08-20-2008 05:52 PM

I usually go up at least two pounds. It comes off the next week, and as long as I manage my TOM cravings, some extra along with it. Unfortunately, I haven't really mastered the craving management that well yet.

fiberlover 08-20-2008 06:38 PM

Yes, some women gain up to 5 pounds. Remember that this is for the long haul, and what you weigh this week isn't going to matter 6 months from now. Just stick with it. The scale isn't always going to go down, it's how you handle it that counts. :)

jennisue 08-20-2008 08:09 PM

HI -- Each month I experience a change on the scale but I only weigh in once a week and don't keep a scale in my house ( I would become obsessive) but the following week the extra is gone plus some-- So hang in there you could try a water pill if you just feel bloated or like you have a lot of water weight?

Mommysince21505 08-20-2008 08:44 PM

Thanks everyone! I guess I won't know for sure till next week. I am sure it is just the TOM, but if not 2 lbs is nothing and I can lose it again! I was just feeling a bit discouraged about it and it is only 2 lbs! My old self would have probably quit by now. NOT this time! :)

H8cake 08-20-2008 10:10 PM

Don't give up, it's just water retention. It happens to me every month. Sometimes I will retain water from eating too much salt and that will show up as a gain too. It's good to remember that so you don't get too frustrated. Eating at a restaurant means extra salt so that can do it too. Like others already said- it's about being consistent over a long period of time that will get the weight off. Sometimes it makes no sense when you lose or gain, but just keep at it.

foxxy511 08-21-2008 12:27 AM

Yup, I agree with everyone above. When I first started, I was going along just fine, losing some every week and then TOM hit and it was like BAM! up 3lbs. It got me down because I knew I was doing everything right, but I wasn't seeing the results I was used to. However, once TOM was over everything went back to normal! But, now I'm going to dread getting on the scale the next time it rolls around.

Guys don't know how easy they have it...

gina1221 08-21-2008 09:20 AM

I am usually up 2-4 lbs from ovulation until the day before TOM arrives. So for 2 weeks my weight stays up. I can always tell when TOM will arrive now because I usually drop 1-1.5 lbs the day before (and continue dropping about .5 lb a day for a few days into). Weird and annoying but I have been at this long enough now to have figured it out so I don't get derailed by it.

Hang in there, it's just temporary!!

JulieJ08 08-21-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gina1221 (Post 2326322)
I am usually up 2-4 lbs from ovulation until the day before TOM arrives. So for 2 weeks my weight stays up. I can always tell when TOM will arrive now because I usually drop 1-1.5 lbs the day before (and continue dropping about .5 lb a day for a few days into). Weird and annoying but I have been at this long enough now to have figured it out so I don't get derailed by it.

It's funny how we're all different. The 1-2 weeks before my period is when I consistently lose the most. When the period starts, that's when I plateau - I may go up and down, but overall, it plateaus until well into the week after my period stops. Whether I gain a little, stay the same, or even lose a little going into the first days seems to vary.

I've started looking at my lowest pre-period weight as my month-to-month comparison weight. It seems like the most consistent way. When I compare actual month-to-month weights (every 28 days from the day I started to "diet") ... well, I'm always at a different point in my cycle, since my cycle is presently 23-26 days.

SilentBlue 08-21-2008 03:38 PM

Yup, that happens to me too.

carinna 08-21-2008 04:48 PM

Happens to the best of us. :dz:

Beverlyjoy 08-21-2008 05:12 PM

Yes, that used to happen to me when I did have TOM. It was 2-4 pounds for me - but, would be gone the next week when I weighed again.

These days TOM have passed and now I have my "Own Personal Summer" instead. ;)

The Bookish One 08-21-2008 07:41 PM

Yep, it's pretty common. My gain fluctuates between 1 and 3 pounds. Since my cycles are getting more regular, I'm noticing less fluctuation, but I'm more likely to maintain during my TOM and then I'll lose a pound or two the next week.
Then again, I still have to be working at it to show the after TOM loss!

SunshineCA 08-22-2008 01:11 AM

Well, you know it varies from month to month. Pretty much, when I'm following my diet plan, I have a very quick and easy flow. It tends to to be the opposite way when not on plan.

As you may already know, it's different for all of us.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it. ;)