my stupid scale

• I swear, the scale at work is determined to drive me round crazy.

I only weigh in at work. Usually on Fridays. We have a good quality although slightly flakey digital scale. I figure even if it isn't totally accurate compared to a doctor's scale it'll do just fine to mark my progress and alert me if I'm really slipping up.

So, I weigh myself tonight and I've lost 20 pounds since Sunday morning. I'm pretty sure I haven't had any amputations this week so there's no way this reading is accurate. But for once the scale reads the same on my heels (usually heavier) or on my toes (usually lighter). So I take it into the kitchen and there I've gained 10 pounds since last week.(This also seems unlikely if last week was accurate but who knows...). I tried three other rooms and get a different weight in every one. And now, back in the office where I usually weigh myself and where I started tonight - now I'm only down 3 pounds. Which I'd be thrilled about if I had any reason to believe the scale this time - but why should I believe it. Right now I don't so much care what I weigh but more that I continue to head in the right direction.

My plan is to get by my doctor's office sometime soon to get a general concept of my "real" weight. And to find a spot here at work where I can mark the floor so the scale will always be in the same spot for my weigh ins (in the office it's always the same general area and with a cement floor you'd think a foot or two difference shouldn't matter but perhaps it does.) At least every week I'll get a little exercise carrying my scale to my weigh-in location.

It was so much easier when I thought the scale just plain worked....
  • Hee, sometimes I'll move mine around the bathroom to see if I can get a better reading. Scales are silly.