3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Annoyed by clothing sizes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/148981-annoyed-clothing-sizes.html)

lifechange 08-12-2008 09:54 PM

Annoyed by clothing sizes

I bought a suit jacket in size Large in the spring with the anticipation of fitting into it in the Fall- it was on sale. About three weeks ago, I tried it and it was a little too big. Today, it looked downright awful. This is ridiculous at 200 lbs (and 36DD and 5'4) I should not be fitting into a size Large. They have really changed clothing sizes to make us feel better.

GradPhase 08-12-2008 09:58 PM

At 5'4/5'5, 34D and 140 lbs, I have everything from a small to an extra large in my wardrobe and they all fit. So needless to say, I do not purchase anything at all anymore without trying it on. I can definitely appreciate the frustration. The clothing industry needs to pick a measurement scale and stick with it!

Lyn2007 08-13-2008 12:46 AM

Yeah, they have changed! In 1988, I weighed about 140 pounds (5'6) and I wore a size ten. Sometimes I would find something marked "8/10" that fit and it made me feel skinny! Sizes have REALLY changed.

kissingginger 08-13-2008 12:57 AM

Hey does that mean when I weigh 140-150 pounds I might be a size 4 or 2?? I don't know why, but I find that really funny!

Ginger

bettyred 08-13-2008 01:43 AM

It's funny because I bought a Just my size tshirt from walmart- just a plain t-shirt and I'm a 5x!!!!!!!! I go and buy a different t-shirt the next day and I'm a 3x LOL Sometimes I think they have no real idea what size is what, I put on a men's tshirt and I'm a 2x LOL I'm just looking forward to being confused with a Large, XLrg, and 1x LMAO

Gela 08-13-2008 10:53 AM

Vanity sizing irks me to no end. I was in the 130's in the early 90's and wore a junior size 11-13. At 220 I'm a 1X, which I think is small for my weight.

fiberlover 08-13-2008 11:05 AM

Geez, I wish I could find the places where you all shop! I keep seeing people my height in sizes that I couldn't wear until I was in the 160s - and I work out a lot.

I just got into size 10s now in the mid 140s. Tops are small and medium (usually medium).

Moonring05 08-13-2008 11:07 AM

I have found that different brands of pants have different sizings or something. I can fit into a size 17 in one brand, but a size 20 in another. It gets really frustrating. I was going through all my old clothes and some pants wouldn't fit that were a 17 but others would.

bargoo 08-13-2008 11:09 AM

I bought 2 pairs of Gloria Vanderbilt Capris, same store, same time, one is size 6 and one is size 8 and they both fit. Another time I bought a pair of Oleg Cassini Capris size small and I bought the matching jacket size large and believe me I am not a big bosomed girl. I just try everything on and buy what fits and don't fret about what I can't change.

bargoo 08-13-2008 11:12 AM

I tried on a pair of Docker's size 6 was waaaaay too big. I didn't try on a smaller size but I suspect size 4 would be too big. I didn't buy any,

Here we go again 08-13-2008 11:22 AM

I totally agree! I have clothes that I wear from 14 to 20. I think that's a pretty big range. Let's take the clothes I'm wearing right now. :)

Capris- size 14
Tank top- size 2X
Button down shirt size 1x

Little confusing what to buy and I'm pretty much even everywhere. I don't have a "problem" area, I'm just big all over. :)

JulieJ08 08-13-2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifechange (Post 2313649)
I bought a suit jacket in size Large in the spring with the anticipation of fitting into it in the Fall- it was on sale. About three weeks ago, I tried it and it was a little too big. Today, it looked downright awful. This is ridiculous at 200 lbs (and 36DD and 5'4) I should not be fitting into a size Large. They have really changed clothing sizes to make us feel better.

Sizes are weird. I'm just beginning to fit in a size large. But I suspect I will move into a medium much faster than I went from XXL or XL to large.

mariarose 08-13-2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eskinomad (Post 2313656)
At 5'4/5'5, 34D and 140 lbs, I have everything from a small to an extra large in my wardrobe and they all fit. So needless to say, I do not purchase anything at all anymore without trying it on. I can definitely appreciate the frustration. The clothing industry needs to pick a measurement scale and stick with it!

Exactly! Purchasing clothes without trying them on has become impossible, even if you think you know what size you wear in a certain brand. I literally own and fit into clothes from a 2 to a 10 (I think there is a size 12 dress from banana republic that fits well, but I can't recall), and feel so silly bringing 3-4 of the same item into the dressing room in different sizes, but it is necessary!

shadowclaw 08-13-2008 12:58 PM

I completely agree. Sizes are ridiculous! Right now, I'm roughly a size 24. However, I have pants that are size 26 and 22 that fit exactly the same but by different brands. I've also found that different materials always fit differently. I like the Zana-di brand (get it at Fashion Bug), and that's the brand that I wear a 24 in jeans. However, I do have a pair of khakis that are a 26 and fit exactly the same as the jeans, and a pair of black jeans that are 24 and are a bit too big. I have the most horrible time with black pants -- they never fit right. Too baggy in the butt, too tight in the leg, have a sagging crotch... anything to make the pants look bad! Then when I go up or down a size to compensate, it doesn't fit at all.