scale accuracy

• I am so excited my scale at home might be off by +8-10lbs. My son weighed himself on the medical balance scale at the Y today and immediately after at home on our digital scale. He was around 134 at the Y and around 144 at home. I thought maybe the calibration was off on the Y scale but my husband has said he has noticed this when he has weighed himself on scales when travelling. Not getting my hopes up but wouldn't it be nice if I was closer to goal than I thought. Hmm, sounds to good to be true. I don't feel like buying a new scale so I probably won't know for sure until I go to the doctors in mid Oct.
  • Hi, Lifechange!

Which scale did you weigh on when you started? Does your ticker show the doctor's scale?

Jay
  • No, I have been using my home scale- so it is reflective of the weight I have actually lost- but maybe I started lower than I thought if the scale is off. Anyway in the meantime it is consistent.
  • Speaking of scale accuracy...

I've been using a digital scale at work for my weekly weigh-ins. I've discovered that my weight can vary by as much as 10 pounds depending on how I stand on the scale. If I lean forward and put my weight more on my toes (as I might do when peering down to read my weight) I tend to weigh less. I'm human enough to always do this now that I've discovered the trick, so my loss week to week now is probably accurate but I don't know how I was standing on my first fateful weigh in. I bet I was back on my heels for that one. I was also possibly retaining water due to TOM so that initial weight might have been 10 or so pounds on the high side.

Still, I'm leaving my ticker - that scary first weight was one of my key motivators to start this journey and my early weightloss success gave me the strength to keep going. What matters is how I feel (healthier! more energetic!) and not the actual numbers. And now that I'm always "on my toes" for my weigh-ins I think my numbers are accurate in relation to themselves if not reality.