Anyone here meditate or do guided imagery?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I have found that daily or almost daily meditation or guided imagery has helped me 'this time' with my living healthy journey. I've more food sanity in my life these past 10 1/2 months of my life than ever before that I can remember. Could it be that I am counting calories and really like it? ... Yes. Could it be that my doctor said my labs numbers were getting life threatning ... Yes (but, I had heard it before).

What's the difference ... I think it's meditation and guided imagery. I learned about it at a mindfullness class I took several years ago. I didn't really like the class...wasnt' ready to hear what they said. But, the meditation we did there always felt good. I would do it every now and then. But, when I started my journey last fall - Dr. Oz, my doctor, and so many other folks kept telling me to try meditation or guided imagery. I had a hard time just kind of doing it on my own. So, so bought a few CD's.

Now - I listen to one weight loss meditation (or a part of it) CD almost daily - if I can fit it in. Wow - it sure does help with the stress of daily living and weight and food issues. Also, with focusing on my body and what I want for it.

So, does anyone else do meditation or guided imagery? If so, do you recommend any CD's. I have gathered five different CD's and listen to different ones or part of different ones for different things I am working on.

One of my best friends is a phsychologist. She says that meditation and guided imagery are very powerful tools for living.

Just wondering?
    Edit:

From above:
    Quote:
    Dr. Oz, my doctor, and so many other folks kept telling me to try meditation or guided imagery
    I wrote that above. This should say:Folks.... Dr. Oz and my doctor and , other folks... Dr. Oz isn't my doctor. (wouldn't that be wonderful.)
  • I have a guided meditation from Belleruth Naparstek; it's for self-esteem, but it's really good. I confess I don't make the time for it, but I should. Anyway, you can check out here site here:

http://www.healthjourneys.com/

She's got guided meditations on all sorts of subjects. A psychiatric nurse practitioner I used to see for depression recommended her to me.
  • I have Belleruth Naperstek's CD for meditation/guided imagery/affirmations/ for weight loss. It's terrific.

I also have her CD for pain because I often deal with pain issues.

These are both good.

Thanks, Thistoo.
  • I read books about mindful living, and I do some breathing meditation sometimes. I recommend books by Thich Nhat Hanh.
  • Her voice is really relaxing, which is my favorite thing. I wish I could find my CD, I think it's the one about anger and forgiveness (I have a lot of issues with my father). Anyway, I wanted to say thanks for posting this; it made me go search for free guided meditation podcasts, and I found some to put on my iPod. Now I just have to commit to doing the actual meditation. Maybe if I make myself a schedule I will follow through.
  • Quote:
    Dr. Oz, my doctor,
    My goodness, Is he really your doctor ? I LOVE him..
    ----------------------------------------------------
    I love Belleruth... her voice, as you said Thistoo is so calming...

My favorite is Emmett Miller, Letting Go of Stress... one of the cuts, Trip to the Beach is wonderful.

I like this thread, perhaps we should expand into a "Wellness" forum ? I haven't seen much of that yet...
  • I'm learning to meditate.. I've tried a few times, just to focus on my breathing but it has been a bit difficult in the sense that I don't feel any sort of effects - as in feeling more peaceful, more serene, more positive, anything so it's a bit frustrating (the irony ). I've heard that if you meditate daily, after the first couple of weeks (even 2 weeks), it becomes easier and you actually start to yearn for it. But is meditation something that's supposed to be difficult to start with? I've also meditated in groups a few times and it seemed like other people felt really good after the guided group meditations, but I couldn't feel anything. It was frustrating! and obviously it's not supposed to be. And - at least to my impression - I don't think I have a racing mind.. so it shouldn't be too difficult to quiet my mind or feel benefits.. I don't know.

Now, if I chant or otherwise "sing" (really just let melody/music come out of me - usually wordless - without me intending ANYTHING, it feels like it's driven by something within and definitely not directed by my mind).. that often leaves me feeling more centred and more of what I thought meditation would do.

How do you guys feel after meditating? Are you experiencing benefits from it?
  • Quote: My goodness, Is he really your doctor ? I LOVE him..
    ----------------------------------------------------
    I love Belleruth... her voice, as you said Thistoo is so calming...

My favorite is Emmett Miller, Letting Go of Stress... one of the cuts, Trip to the Beach is wonderful.

I like this thread, perhaps we should expand into a "Wellness" forum ? I haven't seen much of that yet...
    I absolutely love the idea of a "Wellness" forum, Caroline! I think that would really be wonderful.

And Beverlyjoy, wow Dr.Oz! If he's the same in real life as he is on TV, LUCKY YOU!!!
  • Quote: How do you guys feel after meditating? Are you experiencing benefits from it?
    I am lousy at meditation. I'll be the first to admit it; I can't focus because my head is so full of stuff, and I don't commit to it enough to learn focus. So I am no one to give advice, but I can totally sympathize. As for how I feel *after* meditation, it really depends what kind of meditation I do. The most noticeable difference for me is during chakra meditation -- when I do that, I feel a lot more energized. Other types of meditation can relax me, but I have to work pretty hard at it.
  • Perhaps a Mind Body Spirit thread ? to share alternatives leading us to overall wellness.

What do you think BeverlyJoy... and everyone else here ?

Currently my sister is doing an advanced Reiki class, she's been working on my knees with a lot of success. I've studied Polarity, intuitive thinking, automatic writing, totem animals and gentle touch healing...
  • I meditate, however I don't use any CD's. I do notice a difference in my personality when I don't meditate. I haven't started meditating on my health/weight issues yet... Maybe I'll do that tonight.
  • Quote:
    Dr. Oz, my doctor, and so many other folks kept telling me to try meditation or guided imagery.

Folks....Dr. Oz and my doctor and , other folks...

Sorry folks. for the miscommunication..Dr. Oz is not my doctor (I wish!). But, he does recommend meditation.
  • Quote: Perhaps a Mind Body Spirit thread ? to share alternatives leading us to overall wellness.

What do you think BeverlyJoy... and everyone else here ?

Currently my sister is doing an advanced Reiki class, she's been working on my knees with a lot of success. I've studied Polarity, intuitive thinking, automatic writing, totem animals and gentle touch healing...
    I really do love the idea. I think it would be wonderful to create a Mind Body Spirit Forum (or whatever the name would be - though I do really like Mind Body Spirit) I am absolutely interested, I hope yall are too It would be great to make it an active forum.

How do we get one - do we message and ask any of the moderators or a specific one?
  • Sweet Caroline & Beautiful One -It would be nice to have a place to discuss meditation and things like that. I wonder if there's enough interest?? It's been so helpful to me.

Beautifulone - I agree - meditation takes practice. When your mind wanders, and it will, bring it right back to the breath. When my mind wanders, I say in my head - "To the breath as I breath in". I am not the great at meditation - but, I love it. That's why I've opted to use CD's more than traditional mediation on my own.
  • Quote: I am lousy at meditation. I'll be the first to admit it; I can't focus because my head is so full of stuff, and I don't commit to it enough to learn focus. So I am no one to give advice, but I can totally sympathize. As for how I feel *after* meditation, it really depends what kind of meditation I do. The most noticeable difference for me is during chakra meditation -- when I do that, I feel a lot more energized. Other types of meditation can relax me, but I have to work pretty hard at it.
    Thanks Thistoo, it's a little comforting to not be the only one - not that I am glad it is difficult for you, I hope it becomes easier but I feel like I've been surrounded by people for whom it's easy and I feel so frustrated about it sometimes Maybe a mantra of "I will practice meditation daily" and "patience is a virtue" would also help me