Old 08-05-2008, 09:02 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Lyn and Sweet Caroline - thanks for the recommendations!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #17  

Thanks for starting this thread. I have been trying to learn mediation for quite some time, but I always get frustrated and give up. So, I will try some of the CDs mentioned here (CDs HAVE worked for me in the past).

I think a MIND BODY SPIRIT forum would be perfect here on 3FC! What better place?
PugLvr760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 228/224/140

Height: 5'2"

I LOVE the idea of a Mind/Body/Spirit thread/forum. I am an intermittant meditator. As with most things that are good for me (exercising, meditating), it is hard for me to get started. Have any of you listened to any CDs by Pema Chodrin. I listen to her CDs almost every day on my way to work. She has so much wisdom and really understands pain. She also has the most lovely voice!
NeanieBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #19  

These are the CD's I have gathered over the past 10 months in regards to weight loss:

- Health Journeys" A Meditation to Help you with Weight Loss (Audio CD) - by Belleruth Naparstek

- Mindful and Mindless Eating: Guided Meditations to Become Lighter with Food (Audio CD)
by Robin Maynard-Dobbs

- Meditations for Weight Loss
Allen Holmquist (audio CD)

- I Decide and I Create the Body I Want: A Weight Management and Loss Hypnotherapy Hypnosis CD [Audio CD]
By: Tina G. Sacchi CHt
Even though Tina Sacchi's is called hypnotherapy - it is very much like meditation to me.

I have meditation CD - not related to weight loss -that is done by a local person near where I live, too.

All these CD's I found at Amazon.com. I bought them on the basis of people's comments. I use different ones for different issues about food, weight loss, life or body image.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:30 PM   #20  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Thanks Beverlyjoy! I'm going to check some of those out
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:28 PM   #21  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverlyjoy View Post
Lyn and Sweet Caroline - thanks for the recommendations!
Perhaps we could just try a thread called Mind Body Spirit, we can start those on our own... without the moderator approval...
Then if we get a bunch of hits and posts we can go from there... I don't mind starting it, but didn't want to steal anyone's thunder... Beverlyjoy had such a nice idea with the meditation, recommending CD's etc But I think we all have so much to offer on the subject(s)... I'm excited about it... its slow in here and maybe this will be interesting... Let me know what you want to do..

Last edited by Sweetcaroline; 08-05-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:58 AM   #22  

Quote:
Have any of you listened to any CDs by Pema Chodrin.
Thanks, NeanieBean - for this recommendation.!

from SweetCaroline -
Quote:
Perhaps we could just try a thread called Mind Body Spirit, we can start those on our own... without the moderator approval...
Then if we get a bunch of hits and posts we can go from there... I don't mind starting it, but didn't want to steal anyone's thunder... Beverlyjoy had such a nice idea with the meditation, recommending CD's etc But I think we all have so much to offer on the subject(s)... I'm excited about it... its slow in here and maybe this will be interesting... Let me know what you want to do..
Sweet Caroline - go for it! (you wouldn't be stealing my thunder at all) I think a thread on Mind/Body/Spirt could be helpful to many people. You are right...there is alot more than just the CD's.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 08-06-2008 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 245/178/145

Height: 5'4

I just started learning about simple breathing meditation a few weeks ago. I love doing it! Every morning, I stretch and/or meditate before I jog. It wakes me up and makes my mind clear...I feel rejuvenated! I've been researching more on Buddhism so I can really understand where the practices come from and how to benefit from it the most. Here's an extremely useful website if you want to learn about meditation, Buddhism or find a center near you to do group meditation.

http://kadampa.org/en/buddhism
QueenBee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

THIS IS GREAT! I have been reading more about mindful living and am a regular practicer of Pranavayu and Vinyasa Flow yoga. It helps me with my breathing to be in a class (the Pranavayu class teacher does long detailed guided meditations) and I love the workout that I get with my Vinyasa classes too. I have trouble trying to meditate at home, alone. I do have an extremely busy mind and it's hard to push out the distractions...maybe I'll try one of these tapes you are all talking about. My goal is to get up a bit earlier and just have 30 minutes where I am either mindful of what I am doing, practice my breathing or do some sort of guided meditation. I feel like it can help me get through my day successfully. This is a great thread/forum idea!
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #25  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

i meditate. i need some time to slow down, and i find this is the best way to do so.
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

A thread would be nice, but I really think a forum would be fabulous. This is such a huge area in being healthy, mentally and physically, and has so very much to do with everything else here at 3FC. So I'm adding my vote
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #27  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

I would love to do it, so watch the board for the Mind~ Body~Spirit thread (for now) coming soon....
Old 08-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #28  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

By Beautifulone:
Quote:
But is meditation something that's supposed to be difficult to start with?
I had a lot of difficulty when I started to meditate, I was very easily distracted (and distraction was one of the biggest reasons I needed to meditate). Do you have a 'mantra' type word or phrase that you can say to yourself, (listen to the word in your mind) with practice, this can bring you back to the process. I was taught to say "one", when I was drifting, but you could say anything, love, peace... whatever you chose... You may want to try it, for me I saw quickly that or saying "one" would bring me back to the process. I had to say it a lot at the beginning... I believe that distraction is one of the biggest reasons people try meditation once or twice and think 'they can't do it'... I think anyone can do it... I have to practice practice practice... over time I was able to go deep into a meditation very quickly, stay about 5 mins undisturbed, and work up in time from there... for me, coming back to the room slowly and peacefully is just as important as the meditation itself.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #29  
loving my beautiful self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcaroline View Post
By Beautifulone:

I had a lot of difficulty when I started to meditate, I was very easily distracted (and distraction was one of the biggest reasons I needed to meditate). Do you have a 'mantra' type word or phrase that you can say to yourself, (listen to the word in your mind) with practice, this can bring you back to the process. I was taught to say "one", when I was drifting, but you could say anything, love, peace... whatever you chose... You may want to try it, for me I saw quickly that or saying "one" would bring me back to the process. I had to say it a lot at the beginning... I believe that distraction is one of the biggest reasons people try meditation once or twice and think 'they can't do it'... I think anyone can do it... I have to practice practice practice... over time I was able to go deep into a meditation very quickly, stay about 5 mins undisturbed, and work up in time from there... for me, coming back to the room slowly and peacefully is just as important as the meditation itself.
Thanks Caroline. Sometimes I've gotten the impression that it is easy and maybe should be easy. I'm glad to know that that's not necessarily the case. I will try the mantra. I really want to be able to meditate. I want to keep at it, and try to do it daily. Hopefully the consistency will help.

Last edited by beautifulone; 08-06-2008 at 01:40 PM.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:15 AM   #30  

I am going to a class on Guided Imagery tonight at the women's center of a local hospital. I'll let you all know how it goes. They said to bring a mat. It's for two hours.

This is what it's about:

"Deep Relaxation with Guided Imagery
Guided imagery uses the power of your imagination to create positive changes in your physical and mental health. Learn how to create a profound sense of relaxation to manage stress, bring your body into harmony and facilitate deep relaxation. Dress comfortably and bring a mat for floor work."

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 08-07-2008 at 06:21 AM.