Old 07-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/248/150

Height: 5'2 1/2"

Cool Summer

Hi All-

My Name is Jen and I am pretty new to this group - I joined last week and have been so happy to know that I am not alone in this struggle and success is achievable.

Two weeks ago we went to the Jersey Shore for a mini vacation and spent a lot of time on the boardwalk-- When I got home I had gained 2 1/2 pounds in less then 5 days. Here is my problem-- I have restarted and done well this week but next week we are spending 7 days in St. Augustine Fl once again on vacation with the kids and extended family who are all ready planning BBQ and big dinners.

I haven't really told a lot of the people that I am on a diet because they are very critical and I wanted to lose the weight and suprise everyone. I am really concerned about this vacation --

Any advise??

Thanks

Jen
jennisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi Jen,

Vacations are hard for everyone! You just need to do the best you can. If you journal your food, write down everything that you eat to help reign you in if you start going overboard.

Will you be bringing any food or doing any cooking at the barbeques? Prime time for making sure that at least some of the food available is something you feel comfortable eating.

One thing you do not want to do is to tell people you are trying to lose weight. The standard response always is "You're on vacation, live it up!" It's too easy to agree with that and then just binge all week.

Just make your choices and keep them to yourself, then enjoy the company - which is the real reason for the trip, not the food
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #3  

Thanks Lori,

I have been working really hard and don't want to go backward-- You are a really impressive example congrats on you weight loss--

Jen
Old 07-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #4  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Hi Jen, welcome to 3FC! I've been on vacation myself for the past week so I haven't seen you around yet. Speaking of which, I was at 191 when I got home on Monday morning, and two days later I'm down to 189 just from getting back on plan and exercising. Vacation weight is easy to put on, but the plus side is that it can also be easy to get (at least some of it!) off.

Try to enjoy your trip without pressuring yourself too much to 'be good'. I find keeping a mental tally of calories I'm consuming keeps me pretty well in check, but if you're not at the point yet where that's easy, then just try to limit portions of the bad stuff. Fill up on veggies first. Chances are no one will notice what you're eating.

Have fun in St. Augustine! There's plenty of walking to do there so maybe you can get up early and get in some activity while your family sleeps in, or go for a walk at night after the sun stops being quite so brutal. Good luck!
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/178/145

Height: 5'4

Vacations are so hard! I agree that if you can take part in the cooking, do so. Or maybe just ask whoever is grilling to not put barbeque sauce on your chicken, then you'd still be able to have something off the grill like everyone else. Focus on the fruit (what's a summertime barbeque without watermelon?!), salad and grilled chicken. St.Augustine is a great place to just walk around, so that will be helpful. If you go out to dinner or lunch, just order a lean meat, salad and instead of french fries ask for veggies. Carry water with you everywhere, so soda or sweet tea isn't in your face all the time.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great if you put your mind to it!
QueenBee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #6  

Thanks everyone I appreciate your advise -- I am packing my walking shoes and going to make the best of it--- It is really hard to break old habits--

I am so glad I found this group it is very helpful--

Jen
Old 07-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Jen,

You got some great tips there. Also, pay attention to your body's signals. You'll get a fullness sensation and then you know it is time to stop eating. If you drink lots of water, and eat slowly, you will end up eating fewer calories. Mindless nibbling is what really packs on the pounds.

Have fun!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:35 AM   #8  

Hi Jen! Just popping in to welcome you!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote