3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   ETA and other ramblings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/147015-eta-other-ramblings.html)

xxxtine 07-22-2008 11:56 AM

ETA and other ramblings

Last week I went up 1 pound. I know it was the week after my TOM and also I’ve been strength training. I know I’ve lost inches but….tonight is my meeting and I am getting nervous about not losing again or worse, going up another pound.

To be truthful I am trying my own approach rather than weighing and measuring every little thing out. So…that could be against me. But, I want to teach myself to eat healthy by listening to my body. I can’t be trapped in a weight loss bubble for the rest of my life. I don’t want to measure every morsel that I put in my mouth. I know a large piece of cake is bad for me (Or a small one!). I know a full plate of pasta is not a serving size. I get it. I don’t go into denial when it comes to portions. I am a weight loss guru. I know the theories, I read up on the myths and facts. I am not just flapping my gums here. I have to be a guru because I practice this weight loss thing every day! So….my attempt at weight loss has been less is more! Eat vegetables….listen to your body and don’t over do it. It’s been working so far. As of the last week in April I’ve lost 25 pounds.

But is this approach enough?

I have a busy summer ahead of me and this fall is even more crazy. I am getting married, friends are getting married, there are birthdays to go to and celebrations galore. I feel confident that I won’t over do it but is that really..REALLY enough? Is diligence the only way to live and lose weight? I don’t understand how I could eat like a horse and not exercise at all before and gain the pounds like 10 pounds a year but now I am exercising and eating better and watching ever morsel I eat and I feel like if I gain .4 or a pound of weight I am a failure. I don’t want to be like this and I don’t want to be this concerned but I think I have to be or I’ll give up. Instead of fat weighing on me as flab it weighs on my mind. I’ve heard it all…”This is a Journey”….”This won’t be easy”….”It didn’t come on in a month why should it take a month to come off?” I know this isn’t an over night solution. Believe me, if someone said…”Do what you’re doing and it will happen” I’d be satisfied. I’d prefer an ETA but I guess that won’t happen.

I hate the stress of it. I hate worrying about it every waking hour.

Sure! There’ve been some great things that have happened. I feel better. I can roll over instead of breeching and flopping like Shamu…My back isn’t as bad…my knee is better. I finally feel like I am starting to have more energy. I crave exercise. My pants are getting looser.

It’s just the nerves I get ever week before my weigh in that bother me. I hate the overwhelming disappointment when the scale doesn’t go the direction you want it to. (Yes I know all the reason why. I know the scale doesn’t weigh only fat and you have water). I mean I pray that I have a good poop so it doesn’t contribute to my total weight for that week!! Who thinks like that?!!

I have a feeling more than me....:dunno:

Kae 07-24-2008 09:47 AM

Congrats on your weightloss so far and your upcoming wedding!

I'm sure you've heard it all-- you say you are a guru and all-- but you are on the right track. I would love to have made that much progress already. There is a quote that I like that says, "Even if you are on the right path, you will get run over if you just sit there." :) You're making great progress! And should really focus on all of your non-weight success you are enjoying!

Do you measure your body to get your inches lost? I think that really helps to check every month or so.

Good luck~

PhotoChick 07-24-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

To be truthful I am trying my own approach rather than weighing and measuring every little thing out. So…that could be against me. But, I want to teach myself to eat healthy by listening to my body. I can’t be trapped in a weight loss bubble for the rest of my life. I don’t want to measure every morsel that I put in my mouth.
I'll be honest and say that for me ... I *will* measure and weigh for the rest of my life.

Like you, I've been doing the diet thing for years. I know the facts. I know that even healthy food in large portions is bad for me. But the fact is that years of not eating healthy portions has badly skewed my perception of what a real serving size is. Maybe after years of eating better, I'll be able to walk away from measuring, but not yet. And maybe not ever.

Do I obsessively weigh EVERYTHING? No, not any more. After more than a year of doing this and losing weight, I am much better at eyeballing some things. I can tell you what 1/4 cup of shredded cheese looks like pretty accurately. I can look at a piece of chicken or fish and say "yeah, that's about 4 oz". And when I double check myself, I'm usually right on.

But even so ... I will measure when I can and weigh when I can because I don't want to live with the disappointment of feeling that I'm doing everything right and still not losing weight ... only to find out that I'm sabotaging myself w/out even knowing it.

Obviously everyone is different - but for me measuring and weighing has become a way of life. It's not a pain. It just is. It's one more thing I do to keep myself healthy every day .. just like brushing my teeth and washing my face and drinking water.

FWIW.

H8cake 07-24-2008 02:13 PM

"It’s just the nerves I get ever week before my weigh in that bother me. I hate the overwhelming disappointment when the scale doesn’t go the direction you want it to. (Yes I know all the reason why. I know the scale doesn’t weigh only fat and you have water). I mean I pray that I have a good poop so it doesn’t contribute to my total weight for that week!! Who thinks like that?!!"

:rofl: I was reading your post last night in bed and was trying not to wake my hubby with my giggling when I got to this part. I thought I was the only one thinking this.
Seriously, I know where you are coming from. All of the benefits do outweigh the hard part though. The exercise is the part that is the hardest for me. I dread that treadmill every day, but it makes me feel so so much better. Always before I was overcome by all of the counting calories and exercise and having to be so obsessed with it, but this time it is really worth it to me. Hang in there, all your progress is so worth it.

JulieJ08 07-24-2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxtine (Post 2281050)
Sure! There’ve been some great things that have happened. I feel better. I can roll over instead of breeching and flopping like Shamu…My back isn’t as bad…my knee is better. I finally feel like I am starting to have more energy. I crave exercise. My pants are getting looser.

Don't gloss over those things! Those things are huge! And I also second taking measurements.

I don't think you mentioned any exercise. That might be the key for you. A lot of us can lose weight at first with just diet, but after some success, exercise becomes key. Even if you have some physical challenges to consider, it's worth the effort to figure out what will work for you. Might make all the difference in the world.