Old 10-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default Desperation update

I have been REALLY struggling lately. I had lost 63 pounds this year and because I have been eating snacky junk food willy nilly, and not paying attention to my intake, I regained 22 pounds. Seven pounds last week alone. When I got on the scale I about had a breakdown. I never wanted to be one of "those people" who regain all the weight they lost. It has been one of my biggest fears.

Anyway after a day of flipping out and being desperate, I decided I could either keep flipping out and being desperate and gaining weight, or I could stop it and get control of myself somehow. I had a TON of support (some of it from here... thank you wonderful buddies for checking in on my blog and leaving me advice and encouragement... it stuck). So I am making a point of being more aware of what I put in my mouth and cutting wayyyyy back on the sugar. So far so good, I am back down 2 pounds just from that.

I am also focusing on my water and green tea intake (that's the healthy habit of the week on my blog challenge) and getting back to exercising. My exercise bike has been SO LONELY. Biking once a week is not enough to get the weight off, obviously. My husband is coming home today for a couple weeks (haven't seen him in over a month, so it was hard for me to bike with a toddler hanging on my leg) so while he is around I intend to bike 6 days a week and lift 3 days. I hope this will help me get back on track.

I've seen so many posts lately... here and elsewhere... of people really struggling and desperate to lose weight. I think getting off sugar (or cutting it wayyyy back) is a key for many of us. Butplease know there is hope. We can all reach our goals. We just can't give up.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Lyn...I just read some of your posts at your blog. I am so, so sorry to hear of your struggling. Sounds like you have a good approach to getting back to a more healthy relationship with food.

I agree....we can never, ever give up hope. If you have a hard spell...you need to forgive yourself and carry on. Try to do what you works within the realm of what you feel is managable at the time.

One thing that always helps me is mediation, deep breathing, guided imagery and things like that. It take the edge off of stress and helps one to feel better and settled. CD's are available online or at bookstores or whole foods (probably). Seems like I am always singing the praises of meditation and such - but, it has really helped me in my journey.

We care about you here and wish you well in your progress. You CAN get back to better eating. You WILL become lighter again.

Take care.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 10-10-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Lyn,

I can only say that right now I understand where you're at and what you're going through (in sort of parallel ways). Hang in there. I know that we can both get through our respective situations. And you know that the chicks here at 3FC are always here for you!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #4  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

we've all been there, and we're all pulling for you!! i absolutely 'get' how you can just blink and **poof** there's 10 lbs., just from mindless snacking of junk!!!! that's my Achilles heel, way more than sugar or anything else - the dreaded snack! I've made peace with the fact that i just cannot snack, I don't have it in me LOL. I have 3 squares a day, a piece of extra fruit in the day if i'm running late and a meal has to wait, and after dinner a nice hot cup of tea and some small sweet thing (my fav is organic ginger cookies - FIVE cookies for 100 cals and they are not tiny!!!) and then THE KITCHEN IS CLOSED. I don't care if i'm starving at 11 p.m., the kitchen is off limits. That's the only thing I've found that's actually worked for me and i know you'll find your bliss too!!! keep on keepin' on!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

I think we all share that fear. I know I stress over it so much at times. I find when I stress and fuss over my fears, I eat more and sometimes I see a scale reaction to that. However, most of the time I see a mental and physical reaction to the mistreatment I give myself. I feel sluggish, have trouble concentrating, tired, bloated, etc...and for me that is so much worse than seeing the scale go up and down. I get more upset then I eat more of the things I know I shouldn't.

I like simple snacks, baked tortilla chips and salsa, hummus (I do eat too much hummus at times lol) with veggies or bread, veggie sushi rolls, etc.

Hang in there!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #6  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Quitting sugar is the only thing that makes nutritional control and weight loss possible for me. The one and only thing.

This week the scale went up for me--to 251, from 247.5. What a bummer. But I know that much of it is water weight (I can tell my feet are more puffy and such), and it's because I have been neglecting getting enough sleep for about a month now...and because I way overate on pizza last Sunday and Monday. Also possibly I haven't been drinking enough water.

So I'm working on getting back to better habits, too. Enough sleep, enough water, and only the very best food going into my body. (Oh, and a little more exercise, too.)
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #7  
LWM

S/C/G: 263/255/150ish

Height: 5'4"

Default Thanks for the motivation!

Lyn,
It sounds like you are back on track again (or, on your way to being back on track again!). I wanted you to know that, thanks to you and your habit-a-week challenge, I just about doubled my water intake each day this week AND have stuck to only water and unsweetened iced tea (no more diet drinks, which is [I]huge[I] for me! Although it's only been a week, I already notice that I feel so much better for having replaced Diet Coke with plain old water.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Lyn!

Last edited by LWM; 10-10-2008 at 06:03 PM.
LWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

LWM,

I am SO glad the challenge has helped you already! It is helping me, too. One small habit a week can make a huge difference.

Thank you all for the support. I had a pretty good day again today! Very minimal sugar.

Hanging in there!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote