Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 11:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 354/324/210

Height: 6' 2"

Question Water question

Why is water sooooo important?
I don't understand why people are trying to drink such enourmous amounts of water? Does it have such wonderful effects on your body. I'm new to this all and was just wondering
Old 03-19-2002, 02:47 PM   #2  

From personal experience, here's the reason to drink lots of water: By intaking water, the body has an easier time flushing fat out of your system. Because our bodies naturally contain so much water, it is easily broken down, processed, and out it goes. Also you will find that if you can intake at least 8 8oz glasses a day, it helps TREMENDOUSLY with your weight loss. I used to be a Diet Mountain Dew addict, literally, but since I've incorporated more water into my daily life, I find my weight loss journey easier and more effective. And yes in the begininng you are in the bathroom every 5 minutes but it passes. Hope this helped.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:17 PM   #3  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I find it very funny that you can read 10 books about nutrition, dieting or exercise and all of them will give you different reasons about why water is good or not good for you. I don't think that anyone has scientifically proven that water does aid in losing weight. I do know from a physiological standpoint that the human body is at least 60% water. therefore we need to maintain a certain hydration level for our bodies to function properly. Even mild dehydration can cause a drop in blood pressure, headaches and fatigue. Now having said all that I know from personal experience that when I drink a lot of water I will lose weight much easier. I'm not exactly sure of the mechanism that causes this, I just know that it works.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:18 PM   #4  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

the body needs the water to metabolize fat. and get rid if the wate products
Old 03-19-2002, 05:29 PM   #5  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Water is needed by the entire body to keep it running effectively. I don't think that anyone has proven that increased amounts of water will increase fat metabolism or removal of waste products. The only thing that will increase fat metabolism is increased activity. I could weight 500 lbs and drink 2 gallons of water a day and not lose weight. I will likely have increased activity by having to walk to the bathroom more.

If you are like me you've read a zillion books on fitness and most of the authors can't agree on the subject of water. Most say to drink at least 8 glasses a day, more if you exercise a lot because you are losing fluids through sweat. Frankly from some of the articles I've read about the subject most people don't even know where the 8 glasses a day recommendation originally came from. Everyone seems to stick with it though.

I believe that there is an article about water in the Library section in the general forum that is very informative.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:41 PM   #6  

My doc says that loosing slowly and drinking lots of water will be very beneficial in toning your skin. In other words you won't have real baggy skin or excess flesh hanging.
I also agree with Sue. Water will help flush the waste.
Carol
Old 03-20-2002, 01:37 AM   #7  
gbo

Sue our medical expert is correct! It is very important and also keeps your kidneys flushed which helps totally from retaining water. Water flushes the entire body , including the kidneys flushing out excess body fluids often called "water" but it is not water as from the sink it is body fluids that can build up easily and contain impurities from the body. I think I have stated this correctly if not Sue Bee can correct my words!
Pam
Old 03-20-2002, 07:30 PM   #8  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Well partially correct. it does not metabolise the fat but helpes with our metabolism. I was short on time and did not give the total correct answer. With enough fluid the body does not retain fluid as easily as it know that it will get enough fluid so not as much fluid gain during TOM and other times. it is used during metabolism (not fat metabolism) but if we want to use the fat then as it produces a different wast than other foods we need to keep the kindneys working properly hense to rid of the wast products and the "fat metabolsim" (it will aid in the increased matabolsim which will help to burn the fat)
Old 03-21-2002, 09:13 PM   #9  
gbo

Thank you My sweet Sue Bee I knew we could count on you!
I happily bow to your well earned knowledge and wisdom.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:53 PM   #10  

Interesting to read the different reasons that water is good for us. I know for me that it helps with the hunger so I take a big bottle wherever I go.

Our WW leader just read us an article that said to drink water cold cold (which is the only way I really like it). The reason? when you drink cold water your body works to raise body temperature thereby raising your metabolism. Don;t know whether or not this is true but just know that water helps me get the lbs off.
Closed Thread