Old 06-14-2008, 03:54 AM   #16  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Sandi I am prolly too late, but here's what I got from my trip:

Times Square is overrated. I hate to say it but since Giuliani cleaned it up, it's more Disneyfied--they have restaurants you can see in any city or suburb in the US. Better for Jacob, definitely, but less ...um...character.

I can't believe no one said the Empire State Building. It's the one thing I wasn't gonna do. But it's the one thing the ex said I couldn't leave the city without doing. Didn't realize how well he knew me. I LOVED IT!!!

Just when you are done looking out at the landscape on the first side? There are 3 other sides to look at! It was so beautiful to see the whole city, not to mention all the waterways & bridges & everything.

I second:

FAO Schwartz
riding the subways
comfortable shoes (for me this is New Balance)

I loved loved loved the Guggenheim. I also loved the neighborhood I had to walk through to get there from the subway. I ate fresh blackberries & drank a Dannon smoothie that I got at a cute little corner market on the way there while the Sabrett's guy stared me down trying to get me to buy a hot dog.

The double decker bus tours are good for seeing a lot of New York in a small amount of time. You can get on & off wherever you want, just come back to the stop to get back on another one. I didn't want to do that either, but it was really fun to see everything. Well worth the money.

Union Square. Loved it. I think they have a Farmer's Market there.

Oh & I loved Yaffa Cafe in St Mark's Place. They have the best carrot salad dressing!

I stayed in Queens & they had the BEST Greek food there, I took some with me to the airport & got some stares. Hey, no one said you have to eat that carp at the airport.

Cafe Kolonaki Patisserie
33-02 Broadway Astoria
Queens NY 11106
718-932-8222

I would take the N to get there from Midtown, but don't quote me on that.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!

Last edited by SuchAPrettyFace; 06-14-2008 at 04:12 AM. Reason: to add more stuff
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:13 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Bronx Zoo, if Jacob is so inclined!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I went to NYC for the first time (or the first time really as a tourist, and not just passing through for business) back in January. The things that I really enjoyed and want to do again:

1 - the Empire State Building. I went at night and it was fantastic. The views of the city were amazing ... all the lights and the boats on the rivers and everything. I loved it. And don't focus on the top and the view either - pay attention to the interior as you walk and take the elevators up. Art Deco design at it's finest and the floor tiles are amazing. I gawped the whole way up!

2 - Ellis Island. The Statue of Liberty was cool, but Ellis Island caught me by the throat. Maybe it's because I'm an historian by education, but just standing in that big room imagining thousands of people crowded together, hoping for a better life ... scared, many of them with everything they owned and valued on their backs ... it was truly overwhelming. I loved it and want to go back again.

3 - The little church across from Ground Zero. The church has kept a lot of the notices and pictures and notes that were originally posted near and around the WTC and walking through the sanctuary and seeing the displays .. wow. I couldn't speak afterwards and needed the walk back to my hotel near Times Square to "come down" so to speak. Another location that will get you by the throat. (I didn't think the WTC site was all that much ... a lot of plans and an "overlook" into the construction area. Also I just had a hard time visiting the site as a "tourist attraction" ... I felt kinda weird and almost dirty about wanting to go see it. Very difficult decision for me.).

4 - Central Park. One day while I was there I bought some food at a little deli and just walked through the park, found a bench, sat, had lunch, and watched the people go by. I adored Central Park and could have spent my entire trip there if I'd had time.

5 - Carnegie Deli. You have to eat at Carnegie Deli. It's a fantastic atmosphere and the food is to die for. Also keep in mind that serving sizes are .. WHOA. Pick something to share - you'll never finish a whole plate or sandwich by yourself.

6 - Wall Street. I loved walking down Wall Street, seeing the Stock Exchange, the bull, and feeling the sense of history. Just very cool.

7 - Grand Central Station. Whoa. Gorgeous. Seriously gorgeous. I spent 2 hours there just taking photos. Might be one of my favorite interiors in the city. Ever. Seriously.

Those were my top favorite things. I fell in love with the city ... I really did. To the point that I'm very very seriously thinking of moving there. If it's possible in the next year or so, I will live in NYC ... at least for a few years.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #19  

Oh Man. I soooooo WANT to go to NYC now. I went once..but it was a ONE day bus tour drive in just to go see The Lion King on Broadway. It was fantastic.

After reading this...Can't wait to go again!
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #20  
nothing can stop me.

S/C/G: 260/249/160

Height: 6.00

i never been there but i love to go.
smyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:58 AM   #21  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

I LOVE NY and can't wait to go back again. I loved taking the subway and getting a feel for the city's pulse. I went there twice and the second time, other tourists were asking me for directions, which was awesome!

New York is a great walking city...I definitely recommend taking the water taxi to Brooklyn from South Street Seaport in Manhattan and walking the Brooklyn Bridge back into Manhattan...awesome views of the skyline and a good walk, the bridge is over a mile long! I also recommend walking around downtown, and exploring the various neighbourhoods. Times Square is sensory overload, especially taking in the bright lights at night. I went on a helicopter tour too, which was fun. In two visits, I didn't manage to see all I wanted to see (the Bronx was the only borough I didn't get to) which warrants a third (and fourth..and fifth..) trip back to my favorite city.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote