3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   French Women don't get Fat-The Book (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/142590-french-women-dont-get-fat-book.html)

Smiling_Sara 05-17-2008 11:27 AM

French Women don't get Fat-The Book

Has anyone ever read it? Picked it up at goodwill for a dollor. Was wondering how it is, and if it's worth the read?

CandyKisses0204 05-17-2008 11:36 AM

Never read it but i say since you have it why not read it?

Glory87 05-17-2008 11:44 AM

I read it, I thought it was interesting. IIRC it was mainly about intuitive eating - eating smaller portions of really good food, eating when you're hungry, taking time when you eat (lingering over your meal), stopping when you're full and exercising. I'm just not really an intuitive eater - I always want to eat (even when I'm not hungry) and I have a hard time stopping.

It has been awhile since I read it, but that was my overall impression of the book!

SoulBliss 05-17-2008 11:59 AM

^^ Yeah, what she said. ;)

CrazedLedZepFan 05-17-2008 12:13 PM

I think meals to the French are like a special event. They just don't wolf something down on their way to work/school.

I've found that when I eat around other people I do it much more slowly, and therefor end up eating less.

I'd like to check the book out, I've seen it around. Let us know how it is.

Goddess Jessica 05-18-2008 02:42 AM

I thought the book was really obnoxious.

Although I agree with the concepts of appreciated food and the celebration of every meal, I found the writer to be pretentious. She does clearly outline in the first chapter that this is not a concept for anyone having to lose more that 20 pounds. However, I found her simplified version of weight loss to be a little too "easy" for my taste.

Darkblue 05-18-2008 09:13 AM

I found her book funny and common sense. She says to avoid high fat and artificial foods, such as it's better to have a tsp of real butter than tablespoons of margerine, better to use a bit of real sugar than to drink cans of "sweetener." She talks about eating foods in season, fresh vs processed foods, drinking lots of water, getting exercise.

Smiling_Sara 05-18-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandyKisses0204 (Post 2205379)
Never read it but i say since you have it why not read it?

Only bc I have sooooo many great books to read, and so little time. Just wondered if it was worth it or not.

Thanks for all the replies all!!

Trazey34 05-18-2008 02:11 PM

I got it from the library and it's really more for people that are already thin, I think. it has good advice as stated above, eating 'real' vs. fake processed garbage, but it's also devoted to making absolutely amazing gourmet food for dinner and only needing/wanting a small portion because it's so amazing.

#1. most of us don't have time at night to make "amazing gourmet" every night
#2 if it's so amazing i'd want a bucket full of it
#3 i don't eat lunch at an outdoor cafe with french bread, brie, and wine
#4 i wish i ate lunch at a cafe with french bread, brie and wine :)

zenor77 05-18-2008 02:31 PM

I loved the book. I didn't follow it exactly, but I gleaned what I could use from it and then re-read it periodically as inspiration. I found it fascinating due to the cultural difference between the US and France in regards to food. I definitely think that her style of eating is helpful when traveling to help maintain.

yoyoma 05-18-2008 03:00 PM

I did some googling to see if I might be interested in reading this book.

Sadly, it seems that the traditional French cultural approach to food that promoted a healthy body weight is being undermined. But I would take the problems they are facing now as evidence that their traditional approach to food was in fact effective for maintaining a healthier body weight.
=====================================

NPR's Morning Edition, January 24, 2007 · The rate of obesity in France has doubled in recent years, to 12 percent — a figure approaching U.S. fat stats. A nation once eternally trim must now rethink its approach to eating and even dress sizes.

And from the International Herald Tribune [Note: somewhat dated
(2005); the trend has only continued]

PARIS: Doctors here are perplexed by the runaway success in the United States of the best-selling advice book "French Women Don't Get Fat."
In fact, in France, as in much of the world, the culprit is changing eating habits, experts said, as France's powerful culture of traditional meals has given way to the pressures of modern life. The French now eat fewer formal meals than they did just a decade ago and they snack more. Another cause is the rising availability in France of fast food and prepared foods, which tend to be higher in fats and calories.
In the past, the French shopped mainly at markets, green grocers and butchers, and they prepared two leisurely, formal meals a day, Cohen said.

Now kids eat at school. Workers lunch at their desks. Vending machines selling candy and chips are plentiful. There are far more supermarkets and frozen food emporiums in Paris than in Rome, for example.

The average French meal has decreased in length from an hour and 22 minutes in 1978 to just 38 minutes today.

JayEll 05-18-2008 04:22 PM

And let's not forget that most of the French smoke like chimneys...

Jay