Old 05-06-2008, 08:41 AM   #1  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default I'm slipping!!

Ive been slipping the past month and a half since I started my new job. It's more of a sit down and work job compaired to the frenzied run around at my other one.

I've stopped walking to work (too dangerous downtown... too many women getting jumped - scary).

I've been eating junkier food and I KNOW when I pick up that bag of potato chips that I'm doing myself wrong - but I just can't help it. DH isn't helping either when he buys them - gotta have that talk again.

I have an elliptical in the basement because there is no room to put it upstairs (believe me... I've tried finding room and it just doesn't work). And the freaking basement is infested with spiders (I'm terrified of them, and doing the bug spray just doesnt work). I've even called exterminators... and the damed things are back within a few days.

I've gained 4 -5 pounds. I feel so stupid.

I need some words of encouragement.

Last edited by tamaralynn; 05-06-2008 at 08:44 AM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:52 AM   #2  

I don't have much advice to offer, because I still have a hard time holding on but I wanted to send you . Is there anyone at work you could walk with during lunch (maybe a big, muscular guy to fend off the creaps???)? I have a spider basement too and used to wear a hat to exercise because I was so afraid they would come down off the ceiling but eventually found room in the dining room.

You are almost 1/2 way to your goal, don't give up -- and tell the "potato chip pusher" he needs to stop now, especially since you are struggling.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #3  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

tamaralynn - Okay, you have to stop it right now! You know exactly what you are doing, and what needs to be done to stop it.

Sit down right now and make a plan for yourself. A food plan, an exercise plan and a goal sheet - even if it just what you need to do today.

Sit down tonight with DH and ask him to either not bring your trigger foods into the house, or to hide them from you.

As for the elliptical, if the exterminators didn't do the job right and the spiders are back, get them back out to correct the job. Or, get different exercise stuff and workout upstairs. Do you belong to Netflix? There are tons and tons of exercise dvds available through them. Try a bunch, shake things up. Do whatever you need to do to get moving again.

Last edited by fiberlover; 05-06-2008 at 09:03 AM.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:08 AM   #4  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Is it in your budget to contract a monthly pest control company like Cook's or someone? They guarantee their work, so at the first sign of any spiders they'll come out and take care of it. I pay about $30 a month (plus $100 initial fee) to keep the ants (and mice) out. I know it's not always possible to work those extra costs into your budget, especially when you're talking about your basement and not the living space of your house, but you deserve a comfortable place to work out.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:25 AM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I agree with the above posts. I also would like to mention that switching to another job could be putting added stress on you and perhaps making it that much harder to stick to what you were doing. It's time to regroup and figure out what you can do to de-stress without turning to potato chips. Do you own some dumbells? You can pump those while you watch t.v. Do crunches, pushups, squats, etc. We all have a milion excuses (believe me, I do it too, so I'm in no way judging you...I feel for you), but you have to ask yourself if you want to keep slipping or if you want to move in the right direction. It's all about consistency and if you let life get in the way, you will struggle because life always throws a curve ball. I know exactly how you feel. If you have munchies, crunch on baby carrots or celery sticks that you prepare in advance. If someone else is eating chips, just leave the room or grab those carrots and remind yourself of how lucky you are to be "on program," rather than that out of control feeling you get from falling off the wagon.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/242.1/175

Height: 5'3"

Hi and congrats on the weight you've lost so far! I admire you for getting to where you are, and catching yourself before you've put it all back on. 41 pounds down! So far for me, that's just a dream.

I don't have much to add to the suggestions above, and you obviously know what to do because you've been doing it. Just do more of the same and you'll be at goal. Good Luck!
avi0903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Wow, sounds like me a couple months ago. Not exactly the same circumstances but I was finding lots of reasons (some valid ones) why I couldn't do what I needed to do.

Time for some tough love? Where's Robin and Meg and Glory... they are good at kicking butt off the couch and into action

I say go right now, while you have a strong moment, and throw out the chips and any other junk. It is not worth it. Make a plan. Eat healthier, count calories if you can. PLAN an exercise because only YOU can make it happen. A walk with DH in the morning or evening, or doing a fitness video in your living room. Or start strength training. And I think if you are moving on the elliptical the spiders are likely to leave you alone while you work out.

You can do this...it IS worth it! I know it's tough especially when you've lost your mojo but it will come back.

Last edited by Lyn2007; 05-06-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #8  
No description available.

Hey girl,

You KNOW what you need to do. Now get on it!!! Life throws challenges at all of us. Creativity and dedication will squash those excuses! Feel free to join in the "No Excuses" thread in the maintainers forum. You can do it!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #9  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

why do you feel stupid for gaining 4-5 lbs.? I don't get what the two have to do with each other LOL. Some extra went IN than was spent, that's all. It is what it is, it dosn't make you bad or stupid, it just is
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

So sorry you are struggling. You've gotten some great ideas from other folks. I know that transition and change are stressful. We are "eaters" - that's how many of us deal with stress. If you can.. take several deep breaths when you feel stressed and want to head for the food. Also, check into doing some meditation - there are many good CD's that can help.

Congrats on your weight loss - you can lose that weight. I just know it.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Is there any private space where you work, if so you can workout there. If you search online I know you will find tons of info on exercising in tight spaces, at work, and even in a chair. I have seen articles in health mags and online about getting a workout in the office, even while sitting, so maybe check that out...if there is a space you can do it in, depends on the working environment. If you can get in a room somewhere, or shut the office door, for even ten mintues once or twice during the day, you can pump it up and boost your energy...and boost your willpower with the eating!

At home, you can workout in your living room with your own body, as others have suggested here. Equipment is not needed! Try bursts of cardio moves for 30 seconds, like jumping jacks, butt kicks, squat down and punch the air fast, etc. mixed with sets of handheld weights (cheap at Walmart) or even canned foods, and you have a workout much like I do on my current DVDs. Check out your library, most will have workout DVDs you can try for free.

I have been where you are, but usually it is because I do not deal well with change and you are going through a big one right now. I say reassess you current life, write down an all new program and get going. Maybe commit just to exercise right now, make that your only focus, and stick with it, then you can add in some eating goals, move up the days exercised, etc.

Maybe take some time to remind yourself why you are doing this...why do you want it? Why do you need it? Why is it important to you? Then make some changes to fit it back into your daily lifestyle. It is SO SO hard, but it is not impossible. Coming here and admitting what you're struggling with shows you want to get on track again, now pull out of this advice what hits home and get going...ACTION baby, that's what gets it done.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I'm so sorry to hear that you're struggling, but it's great that you're acknowledging and trying to change it so quickly. You didn't wait until you'd gained back a significant amount, and that's great.

As for the junky foods, I totally commiserate. Are there non-junky snack foods that you really enjoy? Maybe you can get some of those in the house and bag them up for snacking. For me, I frequently get grapes. They satisfy that hand-mouth motion, and I love the sweetness. It I want salty, I'll have a 100 calorie bag of microwave popcorn. Also hand-mouth, but so much healthier than chips. I think it's sometimes just a question of what's easily available to be snacked on.

You can totally do this. You've already done it, which means you can absolutely do it again. Believe it.

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #13  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

thanks you all. I needed that. I ate healthy yeserday - I'm down 1.5 lbs... of course one day doesn't make a difference, but it helps LOL.

Gonna try and get a walk in today after dinner if it isn't pouring rain (at least it's not snow! lol).
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Glad to hear you are doing better. I do pretty much what Lori says. If I feel myself losing control, it's time for a personal meeting with myself to see where my plan is suffering. That may mean a one-day plan (take it one day at a time) to a look at if I've added extra food that I don't need or not doing as much exercise as I can.
I've been having several stressful days and I can feel myself losing a bit of control and I know it's time for me to get back on top of it all. You can bet I'll be sitting down and writing out my plan of action to get me back on top of things. I've come too far to let a few life things get in the way of healthy living.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote