1-2 pds a week sucks!!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • OK, so my honeymoon is over...my first 2 months doing ww's I lost 25 pounds and now I am at the 1-2 pounds a week loss. Don't get me wrong, it's still a loss which I am grateful for and I am still going to stick to it no matter what. I was just hoping that I was one of those people who could lose like that the whole time! *lol* Wouldn't that be nice?? I must admit that I am nervous now because I feel like the losses will just quit.
  • It would be very nice indeed I'm in such a battle with gaining weight these days that I'm at that maintenance stage now rather than the 1/2lbs a week. I'm starting to think I'll be losing this weight forever :/
  • A pound is a pound. They add up. Losing at a slower rate also helps you not lose too much muscle along with the fat. That's the danger of losing very fast.

I lose 4-5 pounds a month now, and am pretty happy with that. As long as the trend is downwards, it's all good.
  • Congrats, Wendy, on 27 pounds down! That's incredible.

I have to say that when I was where you are, I was scared to stop losing quickly because I was afraid that I would lose motivation. (And I did pause for longer than I would have liked at about the 210 mark...) Now, I'm sort of grateful for the slow periods, though I would love to start losing quickly again now. I think a small part of me is actually afraid to get to "goal" and have to worry about the forever job of maintaining. Maybe I'm just feeling philosophical this morning, but I'm just grateful for the whole experience right now.
  • wendy - losing at a fast rate for your entire weight loss is nearly impossible. For those that start at over 300lbs/upper 200s, they can lose at a fairly fast rate for a long time but the more you lose, the harder it is lose more. If you visit the maintainers forum and ask them about weight loss near the end of the goal, many will say the last 10 lbs were the hardest.

For me, its taken years to lose weight but its because I'm not always consistent. It was actually very easy to lose the first 70 lbs, after that though it was a struggle. I've had to make changes all along and sometimes it takes me a while to figure those things out.
  • I'd much rather lose slow & steady, month after month ~ it may be wishful thinking, but I like to hope that losing nice and slowwww will mean a more permanent loss and less floaty loose skin Probably not but it's my theory!

a loss is a loss is a loss! and 1 lb over a year is 52 lbs ! wicked!
  • Although we would all like it, it really is unrealistic to be able to maintain the high weightlosses seen in the first couple of months and you really need to be able to get your head around that. If you are still losing 1-2lb each week on a regular basis just be grateful for that. Since Christmas I've not been seeing any losses for 2 sometimes 3 weeks in a row and then I'll lose 3 or more pounds. It evens out to around 4-5 lb a month which is fine but can be discouraging getting over the weeks without loss.

Kitty
  • I'd kill for 1-2 pounds a week!
  • Hey Wendy, well i totally know what you mean. I have SUCH a long way to go. I start adding it up in my head and i am like, Geeze, at this rate, i will lose 40 pounds by winter....40 pounds will barely make a dent in my whole journey. So of course i am glad if i lose every week, but it just seems like such a long haul to get to where i am comfortable with my body...not at goal...just not huge. And that is very disheartening. so i know where your coming from. But it took me a long time to put on the weight, so i guess it is only fair that it take a long time to take off. I just hate to spend another summer fat...but i did it to myself...i should have been thinking about the summer back when it was winter. ;-)
  • Quote: I'd kill for 1-2 pounds a week!
    me too!

over a 2 year period i'm averaging .6 pounds per week. I've lost 66

I have at least 50 more to go
  • It IS great when those first pounds come off so quickly. But, the body does slow down. At this point for me - I'll lose 2 pounds, then maintain for two weeks and it keeps on going like that. But...it's usually 4-5 pounds a month. I am very very grateful for that.
  • I hear ya. I thought I would die when I went over 2 months without losing a pound. And a lot of months I lose 5 pounds, that's it. It seems like it's going to take forever, but I have started looking at this as a journey, not a destination. As long as I am not gaining, I am good. An overall downward trend is what matters... cause the time is going to pass anyway. A pound a week doesn't seem like a lot until you have lost 30 or 40 or 50 pounds and go, "WOW!" look what I did!

You'll be so glad you stuck with it. Do it for the health, do it for you. The pounds will take care of themselves!
  • oh and stalls... HANG IN THERE. I had a FOURTEEN WEEK stall. I was exercising and eating well... OMG NO LOSS for 14 weeks... it was killer.
  • Quote: I'd much rather lose slow & steady, month after month ~ it may be wishful thinking, but I like to hope that losing nice and slowwww will mean a more permanent loss and less floaty loose skin Probably not but it's my theory!
    This is EXACTLY what I tell myself when I start to get discouraged. Maybe I'm being delusional, but I can live with that for now. Five pounds a month is awesome for me; last month I only lost four total.
  • I keep repeating to myself: You didn't gain it in a few weeks, you won't lose it in a few weeks. It took me 10 years to gain from 165 to 237.

It's taken me 12 months to get from 237 to 170. That's a pretty good ratio, if you ask me.

So I figure if it takes me the rest of this year to lose the final 30ish lbs I want to lose, that's still a heck of a lot less time than it took me to gain it in the first place.