Old 04-24-2008, 09:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/268/175

Height: 6'1"

Default Getting started....

Everytime I see how much I need to loose, I feel like throwing in the towel.

I have tripped and stumbled around for weeks, maybe even months. I talk to my boyfriend about reforming my habits, and then I forget. I make excuses. I get distracted. Another month rolls around and I'm like "oh yeah, there was that thing, I was doing...".

I don't know how to motivate myself properly, although this site has been a HUGE HELP.

I'm not doing any particular diet plan... I'm basically trying in incorporate more fruits and vegetables, stay away from processed and high carb food, and i'm working on giving up soda 100% (i'm already at 95% and am proud of my WATER intake) It's so hard. I spend 10 hours a day at work. I don't have a set schedule. It's hard because whatever I eat, I have a family which includes 3 other adults, all that have different tastes. The lack of support is felt keenly. So I come home, i'm tried. I want to make something fast and easy and I end up having to make 2 different meals for dinner. Mine and theirs. So it's easier just to eat theirs. Ugh.

Exercise is a whole other story. My job is 40-50 hours a week on concrete floors. I'm usually moving the whole time. When I get home I want to STOP MOVING. I want to sit down. I have NO energy to put into exercising. Obviously the walking I am doing constantly at work isn't enough to keep my heart rate in the right spot.

I have a lot of excuses and validations.
but. I have a lot of motivation and determination.

This initial getting started phase will not beat me. hehe.
Czarria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:45 PM   #2  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Welcome!

Hang on to that towel!!!

You've found the best place for support, friendship, anything you might need in this journey!
We all know what it's like to start over, and over, and over again! But having eachother makes it so much easier

Make yourself at home and keep posting!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Have you thought about counting calories? Not sure if you can do that with working so much, but it seem to work for a lot of people.

Keep on trying until you find what works!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #4  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I understand how overwhelming it can be when you look at the numbers on the scale, and think "Oh my God! I need to lose XXX pounds?! AAGH!" It is really daunting.

Rather than think about the big number, try giving yourself smaller goals like "I'm going to lose 5 pounds this month, and 5 pounds next month." Smaller goals are less intimidating.

Then once the weight starts to come off, that will probably motivate you more and you may very well find yourself eating even better getting more exercise because that's what makes the pounds fly off faster.

Now that I've dropped quite a few pounds, I don't think too much about how far I still need to go. What I DO think about is how relieved and happy I am that I'm not where I started!

Last edited by Apple Cheeks; 04-24-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi! Welcome to the board!

Linda is right, DO NOT THROW IN THE TOWEL! KEEP A TIGHT GRIP ON IT, YOU WILL NEED IT LATER TO WIPE THE SWEAT OFF YOUR FACE WITH!!!

I do think calorie counting can work for you, just adding in more fruit and veggies although it does sound like it would work, it's easy to eat way too many calories just in fruit and veggies. I know how crazy does that sound right? But seriously, there are days when I eat several hundred calories in veggies alone.. add in another about 200 in fruit and it really could throw me over. Another thing I do is try to avoid whites... potatoes, rice, pasta and bread.

This is a hard and bumpy road, but you can do it!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:54 AM   #6  

Thanks for all the advice and support. From this day forward I'm going to focus on 10 lbs at a time. Not the 120. lol.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #7  

Default ideas

Not sure if any of these would help, but just had some random ideas. Would it be possible for the other adults you mentioned to cook their own meals so that you didn't have to do two separate meals? That can be a hard gate to crash if they're used to you doing things for them. Or, if for whatever reason you're "stuck" being the meal maker, could you make healthy meals ahead of time (and would you be able to expect them to be there when it was meal time or would the others just eat them, leaving nada for dinner?) Also, working on a cement floor -- ouch! -- are you allowed to wear the kinds of shoes you want so that you can get supportive running shoes (not that you'll be running; they're just made better). Just ideas. We'll give you tons of support! Hang in there! it can be done!
WriterChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:43 PM   #8  

I'm understood to be the "meal maker", but my brother was a whiz in culinary arts. The problem is my elderly grandmother lives with me and she has a slew of health problems. Most of the time she won't eat anything I fix. She has a history of hiatal hernia's, etc and she sticks to what she can eat, which usually ends up being toast, cheese crackers and donuts. I can't fix HER diet, but I have found she CAN eat pasta, so we stick with that. i'm lazy so i eat whatever i made for us as a family (and it shows).

My boyfriend and brother are grown men, and I suppose, will have to either be part of the solution or part of the problem. I think they will come around when they see I am determined. Even though my brother keeps arguing with me about my food choices (he doesn't see the necessity to limit carbs at all and encourages high carb garbage).

As i'm writing this out, it sounds empty.

Like an excuse.

I could easily make my meals in advance. It just takes some creative time management. (and a marker on my food so they don't touch it).

Thanks.....
Old 05-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #9  

Cool Alarms? Mousetraps?

Czarria,
Sounds like some definite challenges. Not excuses because they're real. And in a vacuum we could say, well just tell them "what's what." But it doesn't work that way in real life when you have to deal with all the personalities. If the markers don't work to keep their hands off your food, try mouse traps!! (OK I'm kidding. Mostly). In my house, all I'd have to do is label something as "healthy," "low-fat," or "fat-free" and the DH runs the other way. My daughter is better. She actually even likes the veggie burgers and low-fat milk! There are only three of us now and we all need to eat more healthfully (even if the other two don't know it). Right now we have a different issue though as the daughter is beginning braces and anything involving chewing is not an option (lots of soft food!).

Last edited by WriterChick; 05-05-2008 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typos
WriterChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #10  
Momma on a Mission

Height: 5'8"

Hi there,

We are almost the same in starting and current weights. Last fall my hubby and I did Nutrisystem for 1 month. At that time I went from 270 to 259 in one month. My plan was to really get an idea of a healthy portion size and meal configuration. It was more than we can afford to continue, but I learned alot about controlling calories and the need to plan my meals. I love FitDay and use it to plan all my food for the next day. I focus on calories and fat grams. That way I have no surprises. If I want a turkey dog with chili for lunch I know I need to plan a lighter supper like baked fish with broccoli. I also tried to mimic nutri system at home by purchasing low sugar high fiber cereal for breakfast, having protein bars on hand for lunch (with a salad), and stocking my freezer with my favorite diet meals- Lean Cuisine, Weight Watchers etc (for supper with a salad and additional vegetable.

Another big element to my plan is to drink water all day and limit myself to one diet soda with lunch and one with supper.

As for exercise, you might try some relaxing yoga to come down from your day. I love stretching. FitTV has a beautifully filmed Namaste Yoga on daily and I have recorded them all so I can do my favs. You might also try focusing on sitting or lying exercises that give your lower body a break.

Now obviously I am well above that 259 mark now. I went through a terrible depression this fall and really packed on the pounds. Yesterday was my 34th birthday and now I am restarting. I hope to stick with it and be at my goal weight when I turn 36.

Best of luck to you. I hope something in this rambling made some sense and is beneficial in some way.
mtnheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Welcome!

Every journey begins with just one step.

I like your idea of marking your food things - so that others won't eat them. If possible - plan your day and the food you will eat at meals and snacks. Many folks find that to be very helpful.

Glad you found 3fatchicks!!!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #12  

mtnheart, i've been considering the yoga, I gotta do something!!! I only started this "change" on 4/26 with just a few slip ups. I've already lost 14 lbs, so I feel encouraged. I can do this!! I just have to remember the water You're doing great... I can't limit myself to one soda, so I don't buy it at all. I'll just keep drinking it until it's gone. lol. Doh!