Newbie here!!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi everyone!! I am really excited to join your board. I have read for a few days and everyone seems very supportive and friendly.

A little about me - I am married with a 20-month old son. I have been overweight ever since I can remember (probably 8!). At one point in 2003 I got as low as 199 which was my lowest weight since probably middle school. Unfortunately I let myself get out of control and am back to almost 300lbs. I need to weigh myself tomorrow morning...

I figure that I have two choices now. I can beat myself up for gaining back the weight and continue to wallow in my self pity and eat myself into oblivion OR I can forgive myself and do what needs to be done to be healthy. This isn't about vanity anymore. It's about being healthy.

I have chosen the latter and I am here for support and hopefully to support others.

Thanks
  • Welcome! This is a great, supportive site to be on for your journey.

What type of plan are you thinking of following?
  • WELCOME TO THE FORUM! I love this site and everyone here, I hope you do too!
  • Quote: Welcome! This is a great, supportive site to be on for your journey.

What type of plan are you thinking of following?
    I am not sure actually. I have done WW before but I think I need a change. I definitely "think" about food too much. I'd like to try something along the lines of Intuitive Eating, but with guidelines.

Is there a thread where people discuss the plans they are following?

Thanks everyone for the welcome!
  • Hi! Welcome to the board!! This place is fabulous.

There is an area on the board that has to do with the different plans. Personally, I'm a calorie counter.. I think about food all the time, but it's more of a planning what I can eat and stay in my calorie range.
  • Welcome! You can do it
  • Welcome! Glad you found us. This is a great site with lots of support and great ideas.
  • I too have a 20 month old, an a 4 YO, 5 YO and 13 YO . I was getting too obsessed with food as well. I plan my meals out for the week on the weekends. this includes snacks. I don't always count calories for now but I eat between 1200 and 2000 calories a day. I also keep extra low-cal snacks just in case what I've planned for the day doesn't sound good, I've still got a healthy alternative waiting in the wings. I do exercise at least 30 minutes per day. (I'm about to up it to 45)
  • Thank you all for the warm welcome

Do you ladies use a website to track calories or just do it on your own?

I have been really paying attention to portion sizes and stopped eating seconds this week but I need to kick it up. I also have been outside with DS a lot running aroudn which helps!!
  • Some folks use Fitday, the Daily Plate, or Sparkpeople to keep track. I keep mine in a spiril.
  • Glad your here, that is awesome that you have forgiven yourself!!

I have a 3year old and my starting weight when I became pregnant with him was 174, I thought since I was PG that I could eat what ever I was at 215 after labor and I just went up from there. I have been off and on of different diets alot of diet pills, I was really addicted, since I had my son and we wanted to try for another with in a year but I could not become pregnant at my weight. I was really mad at myself for having let three years go by and not loosing the weight. So my point to my rant is that now I have decided that beating myself up for what I could of done I am not going to waste any more time, heck I want 5 kids and I am not getting any younger

Anyhow welcome!! glad you are here
  • I use fitday to track my calories. I really like it, I don't always trust what their numbers say, if I take it out of a package I make a custom food out of it. I have also made lots of custom foods for the meals I make for my family to eat on a regular basis.. esp the casseroles they can be tricky.
  • Welcome! We're really glad you've joined us. I keep track of my calories by just writing them down in a small notebook. I use the Calorie King book to look up the food.

Good luck to you!