Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 04:34 PM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Question protein alone will increase muscle?

Ok, last night as I was getting my nails done (has anyone seen the spring OPI colors - they're just awesome!). Anyway...My nail lady is very fit and has been training for years and I was telling her of my successful week and we started talking about food and exercise. I told her that I wasn't lifting weights right now, but down the line I knew that I definately needed to add it. She said to make sure I was getting plenty of protein. She said that protein will help you build muscle even if you are not lifting weights. She said I didn't have to go overboard, just to make sure I finshed My steak before my baked potato kind of thing.

Anyone ever hear of this before. I know protein is important, but I didn't think anything built muscle but exercise. She also said that Saccharine like the kind in fat free yogurt interferes with fat loss.

What do you guys think/know?
Old 03-02-2002, 06:40 PM   #2  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Sandi when you lose weight what your body does is look for alternative energy, if your calories are limited then it has fat and muscle to burn. wel to burn fat it is difficult to it will burn the protein first, that is why many people will lose muscle mass before fat. so yes it will help maintain your muscles and maybe replace what has been lost. it will not build up muscles that were not there or that are not needed at this time. so it is important to make sure that you do get more than enough protein in your foods. many suggest about 60 grams atleast and many say more . I follow a low carb plan and with my weight lifting i take about 100 - 120+ daily for protein. that is to make wure that i get enough protein and calories to maintain my muscle mass.

the fake sugars depending on what your body is like and how you react they can stimulate some reactions like the real sugars do. if you have a problem with insulin resistance like PCOS or diabeties the fake sugars can stimulate an insulin spike and can trigger cravings. I have never heard that it can restrict the building of muscle though!!! and believe me i talk with many very heavyduty weight lifters and dieters and that is NOT true.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:28 AM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Thanks Sue!! It makes a little more sense now. I appreciate the input!!!
Old 03-04-2002, 07:26 PM   #4  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I just wanted to add to what Sue said about muscles. When you work your muscles in a new way or in a way that challenges the muscle, it tears, very small tears, nothing that is going to hurt (unless you overdo it by lifting an enormous amount of weight). But if you are challenging the muscles then there will be very small microtears. Muscles require protein to help repair these tears and for general maintanence. When the tears are repaired the muscle gradually becomes larger and will require more protein and calories to maintain and repair itself. Protein though will be turned into fat by the body if it is not needed. So don't go eating tons of protein thinking that the body will use it to make muscle. If it isn't needed it will be converted into fat, the same as any other food.
Closed Thread